want to use synthetic oil: recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:51 AM
fledgling
Default want to use synthetic oil: recommendations?

I'd like to switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 for my 3000 mile oil change?

Any recommendations? Mobil 1 OK? (It's what I use for my non-hybrid cars.)

What weight synthetic should I use? Thanks!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: want to use synthetic oil: recommendations?

Per the owners manual, oil changes are at 5000 mi. and you use 5W30, dino or synthetic. After your warranty expires, feel free to experiment.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpg50
Any recommendations? Mobil 1 OK? (It's what I use for my non-hybrid cars.)
So why would it be any different for a Hybrid? As long as you use the correct weight oil it will be fine.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Engineering first

Well past the warranty, I'm using a bi-annual change:

Spring - 5W-30, Mobil 1, oil filter and air filter
Fall - 0W-20, Mobil 1 and oil filter

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 07-27-2007 at 05:15 AM. Reason: clarify the changes
Old 07-25-2007, 07:43 PM

With all my vehicles over the years I have followed the manufactures mileage numbers for oil changes. I've never believed in the 3000 mile oil change theory. Those days are long gone. As far as the time portion goes, it is funny how time doesn't start for new cars sitting on a Dealerships lot until after it is sold. So I only use time if the vehicle sits for long periods, like when stored.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:40 PM

I never oppose anyone wanting to make that initial oil change early. Even in Prius, they have shown elevated metals in used oil analyses.

Knowing what I know now, I would have started my (2001) Prius on full synthetic and 10 to 12 k mile oil/filter change intervals from the beginning. It is correct that the warranty can be voided IF you have a mechanical failure and IF it can be reasonably attributed ot the 'non-warranty compliant' actions you have taken with the car. But realisitically, the chance of any Prius having engine lube related problems in the first 60 k miles is essentially zero.

If you want to go the full Monty (and I'm hoping so), do as above and get $20 used oil analyses (UOA) at each change. A history of squeaky clean UOA sheets would look mighty impressive in small claims court

Mobil 1 is not the only synthetic, but I am not prepared to suggest an alternative now. I put Pennzoil Platinum in my Prius last time, but now I am in China and somebody else has the car . Whether he will do UOA when the time comes is unknown.

DAS

Old 07-27-2007, 03:29 AM

I would suggest changing the oil filter sooner if you go for longer oil change intervals.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Resist
With all my vehicles over the years I have followed the manufactures mileage numbers for oil changes. I've never believed in the 3000 mile oil change theory. Those days are long gone. As far as the time portion goes, it is funny how time doesn't start for new cars sitting on a Dealerships lot until after it is sold. So I only use time if the vehicle sits for long periods, like when stored.
The reason the amount of time that a car sits on the lot (as a truely "new" car) is because the problem with oil isn't just the oil breaking down or getting dirty, but also the acids and moistures that naturally get into the oil as a side effect of combustion.

Once acids and moisture get into the oil, then it will start to harm the inside of the engine even if the car is sitting unused.

Since a "new" car has had almost no combustion, it's oil is relatively pristine. Those cars can sit on a lot for a very long time. Once several thousand miles have been put on the oil, the oil will have acids. That oil can be harming the engine and should be removed. Synthetic oils can be a false sense of security because they "look" good even after a lot of miles, but that doesn't change the fact that combustion is still introducing acid & moisture into the oil.

That's why they tell you to change your oil every 6 months OR x-thousand miles and not just the miles alone.

If you do want to store a car for long periods, then it's best to change the oil *just* before putting it into storage.

Last edited by tcampb01; 08-02-2007 at 11:09 PM.