What did you pay for your Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 06:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Kamsmart-exactly the same-25,994 OTD

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Kamsmart-I paid exactly the same $$ you did-about 6 weeks ago in Metairie,La(New Orleans 'burb.) It is a PK4.
I bargained,and agreed , to pay $26000 OTD, but they goofed working the math back, and sent me a $6 refund from the $26000 I gave them.
Taxes here are high-8.75%. My actual price-pre tax-was $23750 or so.Luck,Charlie
WoooW .. the taxes here are 6.25% .. so did I get a raw deal .. I dont remember the base prices off the top of my head now, but I remember that the package 4 was $1825.00

Add to that 6.25% as sales tax, and the title and license andthe floor mats.

Did I get an OK deal?

Old 06-22-2006, 07:32 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Kam-somewhat better than average

Kamsmart-you did slightly better than average.Minus the sales tax,You paid about $24400-Title,License and "documentation fee" are usually about $250-$300, mats are about $150, so you paid about $24000 even. I think MSRP with delivery is $24100 or so, so you paid a little bit less than true MSRP.
Many folks here don't give an actual number, theu say "I paid MSRP". Well, that usually means they paid the last number on the sticker, which usually includes "protection pks,pin stripes" and other useless BS.
Lately-last 2-3 months, most of the reports here are "MSRP"-you can safely assume that reports here are just folks who figure they got a decent deal(no one says," I willingly paid $3k over list"). Further, many of the reports here don't give a number-they say"MSRP". Why? Have these folks suddenly forgotten they wrote a check for $29000??? Noooo, because they assume we can work backward, and figure out MSRP, isn't exactly MSRP.
Of course, it is pretty likely that many find it gauche to write,"I just blew $29K on a car," so they use MSRP instead.
You did OK (too late now anyway!). Luck,Charlie

Old 06-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Kam-somewhat better than average

Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Kamsmart-you did slightly better than average.Minus the sales tax,You paid about $24400-Title,License and "documentation fee" are usually about $250-$300, mats are about $150, so you paid about $24000 even. I think MSRP with delivery is $24100 or so, so you paid a little bit less than true MSRP.
Many folks here don't give an actual number, theu say "I paid MSRP". Well, that usually means they paid the last number on the sticker, which usually includes "protection pks,pin stripes" and other useless BS.
Lately-last 2-3 months, most of the reports here are "MSRP"-you can safely assume that reports here are just folks who figure they got a decent deal(no one says," I willingly paid $3k over list"). Further, many of the reports here don't give a number-they say"MSRP". Why? Have these folks suddenly forgotten they wrote a check for $29000??? Noooo, because they assume we can work backward, and figure out MSRP, isn't exactly MSRP.
Of course, it is pretty likely that many find it gauche to write,"I just blew $29K on a car," so they use MSRP instead.
You did OK (too late now anyway!). Luck,Charlie
Well, too late now, anyways, as you say Charlie. But it is good to know that I was chewed out by the salesman.

The actual price that the dealership was quoting was $26,142, and I got a $ 142 discount for a final round figure price of $26k.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:36 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What did you pay for your Prius?

I notice there seems to be a huge price gap between american and canadian prices. Everyone here is posting roughly paying $25 - $26k for their prius', that's $26,800 - $29,000 if converted to canadian funds. I paid $37,500CAN in full cash for mine, that's $33,500USD for a base model (conversion 1CAN= 0.89USD).

Perhaps next time i buy a car i'll cross the border since the savings can mean up to $4,000.

Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 AM
Enthusiast

I just took possession of my 2006 Prius, package 1. $23,130 + tax, license and $1,025 100K warrantee = $26,200 out the door. Right at MSRP, wait was 2 1/2 weeks, Toyota of Carlsbad in San Diego area.

- Stephen
Poway, CA

Old 06-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: What did you pay for your Prius?

I paid 29,321 for my 2006 Prius with the package 8 and then purchased the extended warranty that covers bumber to bumper for I think its 120 or 125,000 miles. I also pre-paid all routine maintenance for the next 3 years so with tax, license and all warranties and maintenance it was just 36K out the door. A hefty price but I have no out of pocket expense for 3 years with the sole exception of gas and tires (if not covered by the tire warranty) and then my extended warrany kicks in. I have noticed and heard that even in the area I live dealers havedifferent prices for the same warranty's options, etc.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Don't Taunt Pepito

I just picked mine up first thing this morning. I got a black package 5 for 500 under MSRP. My credit union works with a number of fleet dealers, so they were able to negotiate the price for me.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Enthusiast

I just puurchased my Prius. Here in Phoenix Airzona, they are very hard to get a hold of.

The Prius was marked at 26,000 and some change. The dealer then added a $3995.00 mark up on the car.

I guess I just showed up at the right time. The Prius had just come off the truck and had only 2 miles on it, and the window sticker did not have the 3995.00 mark-up. I made a big stink about the problem. So the "sales manager" offered to take 500.00 off the 3995.00 mark up.

Well to make a long story short; we finally aggreed on sticker price, I went to finance, got half way through the paper work, walked out on the deal. The sales and finance manger chased me to the car and sold the car for 1000.00 under invoice so the price was 25,000 and some change.

Good deals can be had, you just have to work for them.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:14 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by runman
I just puurchased my Prius. Here in Phoenix Airzona, they are very hard to get a hold of.

The Prius was marked at 26,000 and some change. The dealer then added a $3995.00 mark up on the car.

I guess I just showed up at the right time. The Prius had just come off the truck and had only 2 miles on it, and the window sticker did not have the 3995.00 mark-up. I made a big stink about the problem. So the "sales manager" offered to take 500.00 off the 3995.00 mark up.

Well to make a long story short; we finally aggreed on sticker price, I went to finance, got half way through the paper work, walked out on the deal. The sales and finance manger chased me to the car and sold the car for 1000.00 under invoice so the price was 25,000 and some change.

GREAT NEWS! Great first post!

CNW Marketing had reported such deals were happening and I still find it hard to believe. But something you did may be an important clue.

You filled out half of the finance paper work and walked. It may be that this is the trigger mechanism that lets Toyota, not just the dealer, know that it is time to end these markups.

Given the lack of inventory on the lots, the record sales of Prius in July came from getting enough to sell. You were also lucky to be there when the vehicles arrived. Maybe the Prius drought is over.

There is one other hypothsis, that we are seeing a significant economic slow down. If this were the case, a lot of dealers would be feeling a pinch in their non-hybrid and used car sales. The bounty would also be in erosion of the hybrid premium. There are data points that support this hypothsis: weakened job market, decline in wholesale prices for used vehicles, and the Federal Reserve not raising the interest rates.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 08-09-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by runman

I am happy that you got a good deal .. but just wondering .. if the Prius is difficult to get a hold of in Pheonix, then that should give an extra impetus to the Toyota dealers there to stick to their mark up .. it was very surprising that the finance manager and the sales guy chased you to your car when you walked out of the deal .. Prius does not look to be too difficult to be found in Houston, but the markup still exists because of its demand. I tried arguing about the price with them, but they were very adamant about that and rather gave me the choice whether I would like to continue with the deal or not .. if not, I was said tha there were people waiting for the Prius in line and that it could be sold to the next person in line in a few hours .. which is quite probably true ..

But a $1000 mark down is great!! Congrats!!

Quick Reply: What did you pay for your Prius?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands