Rattle in roof on cold days

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattle in roof on cold days

My rattle seems to come from the headliner because if I push up on it just about where the sun visor is located or in that general area, the rattle will stop. The dealer claims to not know about similar issues with other Camry Hybrids. Seems pretty clear to me it is the headliner itself rattling. Anyone else experience this or have any ideas?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 AM
Enthusiast

My '08 TCH does have a rattle (creaking really) in the headliner. I do have a moonroof but it's not there (nor is it affected by the opening/closing of the moonroof).

It is in the headliner but for me it stops if I push up in the center of the roof where it meets the windshield. The windshield glass is quite solid.

My dealer claims that they have never heard of this with an '08 TCH. Though I do think denial is often an initial response. I've avoided bringing it in. So far just pushing once (after I found the source) has stopped it. I'm sure it will return but there does seem to be room to insert some kind of shim (cardboard/insulation) as discussed with the '07 windshield problem. This problem is worse (louder) in cold weather but it has been constant through 70 degree weather.

Funny how such a small thing can be that annoying.

Don

Old 04-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds similar to the rattle in my car. If I push up on the headliner toward the sun roof it stops but starts again upon release. Funny how the dealers claim not to be aware of other problems like this elsewhere isn't it? I am printing all the responses on this web site to show my dealer.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Re: Lack of Alldata subscription:

You might try your local Public Library !! Strangely enough, many subscribe, and all you might have to pay is a printing fee for the hardcopy. For me it's $.25 / page.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine was the small gray handle just above my left ear on the drivers side. I pulled it half way down and the noise stopped. It's only done it once again in the 9 months of ownership.

Another I found was the sun shade mount on the drivers side. I touched something in that area that stopped it and never heard it again.

Check for coins in the coin slots or trays. Check the tire cover hold down, make sure it's snug.

Fold down the rear seat and see if it's any louder.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
SPL

I think there are a couple of TSBs out on this roof/moonroof rattle issue. Check the www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ site for the TSB names and numbers. Check the lists for both hybrid and non-hybrid Camrys, and for years 2007, 2008, and 2009. Then take this information to your dealer.

Stan

Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Enthusiast
Post Re: Rattle in roof on cold days

Hello,

I actually do not have a Hybrid - but I do have a 07 Camry SE - I bought May 07 and in Sept (under 2k miles) I noticed a noise to be coming from the sunroof - it was like big rain drops - it seemed to do it non stop in the mornings but in the afternoon not so much. LONG story - sorta short version.. after going back and forth the dealership (5xs) .. thinking they corrected it each time and it was still there.. they contacted a Toyota Rep from Houston (2 hr drive) he came a few weeks later and I brought in and of course it didn't make the noise - so again I left upset.. they said to bring back once it did it more often.. well to me it was often.. each morning when I would head to work.. <sigh> well it's now May again and the noise is still there - I have again started going back to the dealership - they said they figured it out and had to order a part - 4 days later I get my car back they replaced the housing and NO noise - I was so happy to have the noise gone that I failed to noticed that I had numerous scratches and a broker tuner **** - 3-4 days later I called them and was going to bring the car in and have them fix it - and on the way to the dealership the noise was back worse then before.. of course the tears flow - now I have to hand my car back over to the people that didn't take of my car the last time well the manage said they actually had brought my car to another place to replace the housing (have no idea where) and that they would take care of the car.. well I took the manager for a ride again and they said instead of them trying again - they would call a Engineer to come down and work on the car. It would be a few weeks.. well I called last week and was told there was a "new" bulletin out re: sunroof rattle .. and that the engineer wants them to try that before he comes down. I dropped my car off yesterday and I am now praying that whatever they are doing is finally going to fix the problem - the manager showed me yesterday after they took the top off - showed me each side as where the glass slides in (I'm sorry I'm not sure how to explain it) and pressed against it and the rattle stopped - So.. maybe.. just maybe. I will post and let you know more info if it works. I put a video up on youtube a while back asking for anyone ever had the problem since the dealership made it sound like I was the ONLY one ever with this problem.. Anyway - sorry to rattle - said it was a short version but ha... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpsTIFSbNmY

Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM

I have a problem similar to this:

"My 2007 Camry Hybrid roof rattles. The dealer has tried to numerous remedies like tightening anything that can be tightened and placing insulation in the roof area. Nothing works. The rattle comes from the front area of the roof just above the sun visor. If I put pressure on this area when it rattles it stops. Anyone have a similar issue?"

But I when I opened the sun roof (slid open) and close it, it has not come back. Maybe it wasn't closed all the way. It was odd because it took a year for this noise to start.

Since I don't trust my dealer much, I am not sure what I want to do.... sigh.... let me know how your repair turns out and the TSB number (should be on your receipt).

Old 05-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Rattle in roof on cold days

Hi Mike,

They also tried tightening things, thinking it was a bolt etc to also placing extra insulation in the roof area and thought possible wiring.. but all nope. My noise has been there when it's open or closed.. seems to not be there after mid morning .. I mean it's a nonstop all the way to my sons school then to my work - later in the day I might hear every so often but it's not non-stop... I'm not sure if your able to hear it on the youtube thing. I recorded it from my cell phone... ha.. I had to have something to show I'm not a crazy lady lol

Anyway, my car is suppose to be ready or the part is coming in Weds.. I will post with any info I get xx <crosses fingers>

Oh as I was trying to explain with the lining was out - the sides (if the glass was in) there's a metal strip on each side - the driver side is the one they pressed up on and it stopped. If that makes any sence.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 PM

Hmmm....it is a nasty little noise.

I have conducted a test each time I drive keeping conditions constant until the noise comes back. The only changing factor is the weather. Oddly, I cannot get it to happen at this point. It is very random. The sound sounds like it is coming from closer to the windshield but it is so hard to tell. I thought it was the dash at first. It also seemed like it was there when I had the AC on but again, I have been unable to repeat it.

The noise always occurred over a certain kind of bump in the road. It was not consistent -- that is, it was not occurring at each bump.

Quick Reply: Rattle in roof on cold days

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands