Rattle in roof on cold days

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Rattle in roof on cold days

MrKnightley — I had a similar clunk sound when going over bumps, and especially when turning right, that turned out to be a loose brake caliper assembly on one of the front wheels (I think it was the front left). One of the bolts hadn't been properly re-tightened during servicing, and had subsequently fallen out (and the other bolt was loose)! It took considerable effort, and many months, before the cause was located. This was an unusual circumstance, certainly, but it may be worth your while to have this possibility checked out, especially because of its potential safety implications.

Stan

Old 08-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for that advice. My car is at the dealership right now and they state that it is the crossbar in the roof and they are going to remove the roof lining and replace it. I am quite concerned that they do not know what they are talking about. I will keep everyone informed on what the results are.
Cheers
Emma

Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Enthusiast

Just thought I would post a followup. I just picked up my Camry Hybrid from the dealership and the clunking noise has gone. The tech applied felt in both corners of moonroof structures as per TSB 0089-08, T1-91, T2-57. I hope this will be of some use to anyone else that runs in to the same problem with the 2008 Camry.
Cheers
Emma

Old 08-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrKnightley
Just thought I would post a followup. I just picked up my Camry Hybrid from the dealership and the clunking noise has gone. The tech applied felt in both corners of moonroof structures as per TSB 0089-08, T1-91, T2-57. I hope this will be of some use to anyone else that runs in to the same problem with the 2008 Camry.
Cheers
Emma
That's probably my problem too...but I can't seem to ever get those noises to happen when at the dealership...! Glad you got your's fixed!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

I have the roof rattle similar to that described throughout this discussion. It is a metal to metal clunking that happens intermittently on certain roads and often when temps are in the 40 degree range plus of minus 10 degrees. The rattle seems to come from just above the visor and sounds much like a cross bar banging on the roof. It does not appear to be associated with the sun roof hardware or glass and happens when the sunroof is open or closed. My 07 Camry Hybrid is now out of warranty and of course when I asked about it under warranty the dealer couldn’t hear it. Has anyone found a source for this clunker and/or a solution? Any new info would be greatly appreciated… it’s starting to drive me crazy!

Keith

Old 11-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

I took my Camry in to the dealership when it was still under warranty and the service advisor told me that it is a well known problem, The tech applied felt in both corners of moonroof structures as per TSB 0089-08, T1-91, T2-57. Your service center can probably do the same but since it is not under warranty you will be charged.

Last edited by MrKnightley; 11-02-2009 at 03:12 PM.