Mysterious Trunk Opening

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mysterious Trunk Opening

Originally Posted by bobsch
Why does everyone who hasn't experienced the problem want to treat those of us with the problem like children? What we are trying to do is find a solution based on what's really causing trunks to pop open.
I hear you!
My parents had unintended acceleration in the 2007 Honda Accord.
Most replies in the forums tried to blame it on driver error or worse, confusion (between the brake and gas pedals).
The more high tech these cars become the more likely there will be these 'unexplained' glitches.
Those too lazy to, or incapable of, finding the true cause will prefer to shift the blame to the user.
Not fair!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've had this happen a few times in the past, and never could put my finger on it. Like many others, I was fairly convinced it wasn't me doing it, as I was absolutely certain I never held the trunk button down accidentally (and certainly never long enough to do anything).

...Until this morning, that is. Now I know what is happening (in my case, anyway). The prior occasions where the trunk has been open in the morning, I found it that way after opening the garage. No clue as to why.

This morning, I had the garage door propped open, because I was going to carry some items through to the car. I bent over to tie my shoes, and guess what? I watched as the trunk popped open, a few seconds after bending down. Sure enough - I carry my key fob in my jacket pocket, and when I bent over, there was enough pressure on the material in my jacket to press the button. As I was tying my shoes, I stayed in that position long enough to operate the trunk release.

I'm not saying that this is happening to everyone who has experienced the mysterious trunk openings, but it is clearly what was happening to me. I would never have clued in without actually seeing it happen, which is why I was so sure I wasn't doing it. It just underlines to me that there is often a simple, and suprising, explanation to some of the strangest mysteries.

Again, before anyone gets upset with me - I am not saying there are not some other things going on in some of the other cases.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased the 09 TCH 2 weeks ago. While on the highway the trunk popped open. I didn't hit the manual trunk release or have the remote in my pocket. A couple of days later I had trouble getting the trunk to remain shut. I few hard slams later it stayed shut. This happened 2 more times so I took it to the dealer. Ended up being a bad latch.