what's the rectangular opening in the floor of the trunk of a ClassiC Prius??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default what's the rectangular opening in the floor of the trunk of a ClassiC Prius??

The opening I am referring to is on the floor on the right side of the trunk. There is a strap attached to the vertical side wall by this compartment hole.

The one in my trunk looks like it has never been used, yet it looks like it is for something very specific.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tony

Old 11-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: what's the rectangular opening in the floor of the trunk of a ClassiC Prius??

Originally Posted by TonyK
The opening I am referring to is on the floor on the right side of the trunk. There is a strap attached to the vertical side wall by this compartment hole.

The one in my trunk looks like it has never been used, yet it looks like it is for something very specific.

Any ideas?
The vehicle tow fittings in case the vehicle needs to be towed. In my case, it now holds the tow ball and receiver hitch in case I need to tow a light weight trailer.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-21-2006, 08:32 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what's the rectangular opening in the floor of the trunk of a ClassiC Prius??

Thanks Bob !

I didnt get any of that hardware with the car purchase, sure hope I never need it.

I may be getting the hitch as well and then be able to use the slot as you do.

You are a walking Prius encyclopedia ! I appreciate you being out there

Tony

Old 11-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Engineering first

Thanks but most of what I've learned came from others. Coastal Electronics is who I got my hitch from.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-21-2006, 09:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The rectangular hole and strap hold the first aid kit required for Japanese domestic sales. Or so was said in the very old days of Prius online discussions.

What Bob discusses sounds like the 'tow hook' stored by the spare tire, and intended to be screwed into the mysterious hole in the the front bumper (vehicle left side). By now those front-facing screw holes are all filled up with road grime (except those blocked with wine corks or similar). The new model Prius has a plastic cover over its tow-hole.

DAS