Sherwood Wood Dash Kit Installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 02:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Sherwood Wood Dash Kit Installation

Hey,
I guess timing is everything!!! I was literally going to post this last night just at the time when I saw FLTRN404’s new post. I had a hard time with this installation and I thought people should know that although I like the results, this install was not a walk in the park!!

I bought the Sherwood Dash kit http://www.sherwooddash.com/ from: www.autoanything.com . The complete kit for the Hybrid I think was around $250. They do use a layer of real wood in their laminate and supposedly no two pieces are alike. The finish you see there is Rosewood, but they have a bunch of others.

Here is a schematic of all of the 29 pieces in the kit:

I’ve also taken pictures of where they were installed in and around my dash:

Here is a tip for Instrument panel piece. The thin piece that goes around the top is very delicate. Press the large base piece down first and then slowly work the trim around the top edge. Give the little piece a gentle tug as you go along. What happened to me was, I ran out of wood trim piece before I made it around the full curved edge. Then I tried to stretch it hard to finish and I ripped it. If you give it a little tug all throughout the edge, you’ll have plenty of slack by the time you reach the middle of the curve. All the other pieces are fairly straight forward.

Also on the subject of ripped pieces: You can see in the photo below there is a non attached piece next to a packet of 3M adhesive prep. The reason I have extra pieces is: I had to buy the kit twice!!! Yup overall install cost was $500 (2 x $250). They don’t sell individual pieces. Also the adhesive on the back of each piece is very aggressive. The 3M adhesive prep makes your dash very sticky. If you misalign a piece as you place it on a prepped surface, you will more than likely rip the piece trying to take it off!!! Practice placement a couple of times with a piece before you prep the surface. When you are sure you have the placement down, prep the surface, peel the backing off and in the words of Sean Connery – “You must never hesitate!!!”

Also - a note about the 3M adhesive prep. It is great stuff, it is very aggressive and I think it kind of dissolves your plastic dash a little to make the surface extra tacky. So when you are test fitting each piece (a couple of times) mark it with a pencil and prep only part of the dash that will be covered. Also, they give you 3 little pads for that entire kit!! How will you ever get it done??? The way to use the prep pads is to peel off the top of the foil wrapper and leave the pad inside foil envelope. Just let the yellow moist pad stick up like the top of an ice cream cone. The stuff is very volatile and evaporates quickly. You should be test fitting one piece, prepping its surface and installing. Then on to test fitting, prepping and installing the next piece. If you pull the yellow prep pads out of the foil envelopes, the stuff will be evaporated after only a few pieces have been installed.

Finally this is a flat kit. In order to get a flat piece to conform to a 3D shape like the door handle, they have to put a slit in the flat piece. Unfortunately the picture is blurry, but you can see the little seam right over the manual door lock. See schematic above and installed photo below. I think there are kits out there that say they have molded pieces. I would assume that the door pieces would be 3D and not have the slit in the finished installation. I’m not sure if the molded pieces were available when I installed this kit.

This is one of those areas where I think I blew one of the installations - ruined a door piece and was glad I had a 2nd kit. I know this sounds like a lot of trouble but I like the finished product. Also, these pieces are on for good – the glue is not going anywhere!!! Finally, I did not know how hard this was to install so once I had a few pieces installed and started ripping others – I was committed!!! I could not have a half wood dash – so I bit the bullet and bought a second kit!! Hey if you buy a Sherwood Rosewood kit, I may have some pieces to back you up!!!

Also, I think I’ve mentioned a couple of my other Camry projects in this forum. All I can say is - learn to forgive your mistakes!!! The only people who don’t make mistakes are people who don’t try anything!!!

If you open a dash panel and end up cracking a plastic piece – go to MagAuto: http://www.magauto.com/default.asp?id=213710&catalogid=3408
Search through their exploded diagrams and buy a replacement: nothing can’t be repaired or replaced.

Jump in and have fun messing with your car. You’ll have a huge sense of accomplishment after you are done.

Randyman
By the Way, Sherwood now offers upgrade kits so if you do run into trouble, depending on the piece, you may not have to buy a complete set. Like I think they offer molded door handle trim pieces now as a stand alone item. Also various parts of the console kit are sold seperately as well.

Last edited by Randyman; 04-17-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sherwood Wood Dash Kit Installation

That is a very good looking upgrade. You have done a very professional install....

I have been looking around trying to decide which dash kit to use on my TCH. I need to see if Sherwood makes a kit without the "plug", PN 2455-02 in the schematic, for those of us without heated seats. I used one of their kits on a 99 Mustang and the "plug" they supplied for one of the switches just never looked right to me...

BTW what is that on your console below the shifter?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Looks good. What the heck is the **** thingy on the console?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Looks nice, but do you have two navigation systems?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Driving in stealth mode

Ok. Now I feel like an idiot and have decided that I will not venture into this mod....even though I really like it. I thought that the wood pieces replaced the existing trim. Now I see that they just install on top of the existing trim. Randy you want to fly to Illinois and do this one for me? Yours looks great.

By the way inquiring minds wants to know what that **** is by the gear shifter.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Looks nice, but do you have two navigation systems?
Hey - you guys have sharp eyes!!! That is the Harmon Kardon Drive & Play 2 Control **** and the little screen on top of the dash is the View Screen.

I personally think it is the safest way to drive and use your iPod. The **** navigates just like the iPod Wheel. You may be able to see in some of the close ups, you can display your song's album art!!

It is a little pricey $400, but other than that how can you scan the iPod screens, change playlists, pick songs etc. while driving. The iPod screen is so small. Basically you are stuck with a playlist until you can pull over.

This can be a problem – say you are blasting down the highway with some really hard rocking playlist. Traffic slows to a NY crawl. Are you going to try to change your playlist with the little iPod Screen to something more soothing as you realize dinner is now an hour of stop and go away??? My eyes are too old and this is how Camry’s get dinged up!!

I keep my iPod in the center bay, and the unit can plug into the accessory outlet and audio aux jacks.

Check it out: http://www.harmanaudio.com/search_br...P%202US&status=

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks for your comments and for noticing,
Randyman

Old 04-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for your comments Dan.
I would hate to have a problem with the install and end up making you buy two kits as well!!!

I replied about the Drive & Play **** above.

Let me know what you think!!
Randyman

Last edited by Randyman; 04-17-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks Wayne!!!

They are making a couple of different kits and some of them are upgrade kits - so you don't have to buy all of the pieces. You may be able to get the console piece without the plug.

Since you installed a Sherwood kit before did you have the problems I had – or am I just a spaz!!!!

I replied about the **** above.

Good luck,
Randyman

Old 04-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Randyman
...some really hard rocking ...
I usually listen to AM talk radio (WFAN), but yesterday, I was listening to FM and Queen was on, so I turned up the sound...a lot. The rear view mirror was vibrating! Very cool!

Last edited by haroldo; 04-17-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am a business consultant and for a year I had to fly into Rochester and drive 3 hours into this one horse town. I have to admit, an open road and the right song - it is definitely one of the under rated pleasures in life!!!

Randyman

Quick Reply: Sherwood Wood Dash Kit Installation

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands