2009 FEH - p0a7c (again..)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 FEH - p0a7c (again..)

Originally Posted by S Keith
DEL_MOD_V .019V is pretty good and does not suggest cell failure.

These are also good:
DISCHRG_LMT 36000 Watt Discharge Power Limit
MAX_CHRG 31000 Watt Maximum Charge Power Limit

This means the car will utilize the battery heavily if needed. These values get dropped very low when the battery is at a charge extreme (low charge/high charge), hot or not functioning properly.

There may be a problem with a sensing wire triggering _19 and/or _11. _30 may be set by those as well.

The computer may not regard those as hard failures and permit the system to function normally.

Quite the conundrum.
It is into the 100F outside right now, but the car was only running for maybe 10 minutes when I pulled these numbers. Previously we would notice more problems after running a bit. Should I drive it, and run these again and see if anything changes?

Also with the AC blowing hot, could one of these issues be causing the other still at this point - or two totally different issues?

They seem connected as before it was into the 100s outside, the AC would blow cold UNTIL we also realized we were not longer getting hybrid functions and only fuel. They would seemingly happen at the same time, lose takeoff power, hot AC, no hybrid battery gauge movement any longer, wrench light comes on.

What should I be looking at next?

Old 07-10-2022, 03:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A lack of cooling will cause battery temps to rise. As temps rise, charge/discharge limits get squashed, and the battery may only be used to start the engine with no meaningful hybrid operation.

Did you check refrigerant levels?

Old 07-10-2022, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

A lack of cooling will cause battery temps to rise. As temps rise, charge/discharge limits get squashed, and the battery may only be used to start the engine with no meaningful hybrid operation.

Did you check refrigerant levels?
Yesterday while it was about 103F outside and AC had been running for 15+ minutes I had 75 on the low side, and 175 on the high side. Seems like low side is too high, and high side is too low - especially with ambient temp being so high.

Old 07-10-2022, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

Ah, looks like one of my cooling fans is not coming on. It’s still 100F outside, engine running for 15+ minutes with AC on full blast and the passenger side tan never came on. I’m assuming that’s the secondary/condenser fan? I checked the fuses in the engine compartment for it and they are good. Next step is running power directly to it and see if it comes on. Gotta wait for the engine bay to not be like hot lava though 😂

Old 07-10-2022, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by buildabrian
Ah, looks like one of my cooling fans is not coming on. It’s still 100F outside, engine running for 15+ minutes with AC on full blast and the passenger side tan never came on. I’m assuming that’s the secondary/condenser fan? I checked the fuses in the engine compartment for it and they are good. Next step is running power directly to it and see if it comes on. Gotta wait for the engine bay to not be like hot lava though 😂
Inop condenser fan can certainly cause low side pressure increase.

Something that's also common on these cars is a failed compressor control valve:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=6640&jsn=920

This affects A/C performance in slow speed operations. If your A/C performs poorly at slower speeds but great at highway speed/higher rpm, then this is likely the culprit.

Definitely try to power the condenser fan first.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:58 AM
Enthusiast

Inop condenser fan can certainly cause low side pressure increase.

Something that's also common on these cars is a failed compressor control valve:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=6640&jsn=920

This affects A/C performance in slow speed operations. If your A/C performs poorly at slower speeds but great at highway speed/higher rpm, then this is likely the culprit.

Definitely try to power the condenser fan first.
ok so it looks like the condenser fan is actually working. AC was blowing at like 70+ degrees at the vent after sitting a bit. During a drive I could see it drop FAST when I would be cruising around 60-70mph, and rise FAST when I come to a stop. It never got colder than around 56 but the temp would jump 10 degrees quickly depending on speed/movement.

Sitting in my driveway after the drive I could hold RPMs up a bit and the temp would drop to high 50s-low 60s, and as soon as I release the pedal it would jump to over 70. Easily can feel the temp change almost instantly.

Gonna try that control valve next, since it sounds like it could be at least partially the issue.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

That being said, how difficult is it to change out if I have the means to vacuum/charge?

Old 07-16-2022, 02:43 PM

There is a thread on it on this site.

It can be removed/replaced with the compressor in place. Evac and recharge when complete.

Old 07-16-2022, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

There is a thread on it on this site.

It can be removed/replaced with the compressor in place. Evac and recharge when complete.
yeah I did a search and couldn’t find it but I’ll check from my computer later on. But I did find a YouTube video and it seems simple enough! Just a tight spot, as I figured. Haha. Will be doing it this week and see how it goes!

Old 07-16-2022, 03:49 PM

Can't find it either. Here's a couple relevant posts:

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...tml#post248885

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...43/#post268515

Quick Reply: 2009 FEH - p0a7c (again..)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands