Change your Air Filter!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 04:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Change your Air Filter!

@ShadyEscape The PCV valve location is stupid. The engineers who designed the engine so that the PCV valve lives underneath the intake manifold and requires its removal for service did, in my opinion, the worst disservice to this engine. It's otherwise pretty much bulletproof and easy to maintain. You cannot help hoses that deteriorate and break, really, but I think regular oil changes with good oil, using good gasoline, and keeping the air filter sealed well and clean are important to reduce the debris and gunk that might prematurely clog the PCV valve.

It would be interesting to see the maintenance records from the FEH from this generation that went 300,000+ miles as taxicabs in New York. I'm now at 93,000+ miles and so far I have not had a PCV problem, but I know - given how rubber hoses go - that I'm eventually going to have one. In the meantime my strategy is to push that off as far into the future as possible.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Bro, there are a lot of smart engineers building vehicles in North America. I have met and spoken to many. A 48,000 km interval is not unusual and represents about 2 years of driving. Changing your air filter too often in a vehicle that is driven under average North American conditions is overkill and will actually result in more abrasive particles entering your engine - go ask an automotive engineer. In the meantime, if you want to change your air filter frequently, ensure that you change your engine oil more frequently too - it will need it. And an filter should be check at least once per year to ensure there is no extraordinary material getting inside like nesting material. That's not normally a problem with a daily driver.

In keep it simple terms from cars.com - Sept 2023: "While the maintenance schedule on most vehicles gives a mileage interval that’s commonly between 30,000 and 45,000 miles (though there may be a time interval as well) for air-filter replacement, many also include a shorter mileage interval for “severe service.” That’s usually described as regular driving in heavy traffic during hot weather, on unpaved roads or in dusty conditions. Another “life-shortening” possibility is if mice get in the housing and clog the filter with their nesting materials."

Love, Hippo the Hybrid.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Oh Man this is hilarious. I believe Hippo man is correct though the idea of driving a Hybrid or EV is to "Save the Planet" Right? Maybe this overzealous filter / oil and other fluid changes way too often IS contributing to Global Warming / Sea Level rise / Arctic Ice loss / Climate Change / Climate Crisis / Climate Emergency / Deforestation / Poverty and Displacement / Food and Water Insecurity / Plastic Pollution / Water Contamination / Air pollution / Hole in the Ozone layer / Over fishing / Soil Degradation / Clubbing of baby seals Etc Etc. Next time just blow the dirt/dust out of that slightly dirty filter and if no holes in it stick it right back in. Keep it Green Bro the whales are counting on you!

Old 03-08-2024, 12:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dnt1010
Oh Man this is hilarious. I believe Hippo man is correct though the idea of driving a Hybrid or EV is to "Save the Planet" Right? Maybe this overzealous filter / oil and other fluid changes way too often IS contributing to Global Warming / Sea Level rise / Arctic Ice loss / Climate Change / Climate Crisis / Climate Emergency / Deforestation / Poverty and Displacement / Food and Water Insecurity / Plastic Pollution / Water Contamination / Air pollution / Hole in the Ozone layer / Over fishing / Soil Degradation / Clubbing of baby seals Etc Etc. Next time just blow the dirt/dust out of that slightly dirty filter and if no holes in it stick it right back in. Keep it Green Bro the whales are counting on you!
Can we keep low knowledge politics out of this, please?

Old 03-08-2024, 12:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Can we keep low knowledge politics out of this, please?
"Low Knowledge" is inherently necessary for all participants that do not have a sense of humor. That would be YOU big boss in case you are having trouble understanding..Hahahahah