Crazy Thing Happen Today

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Default Crazy Thing Happen Today

For the first time ever with either of my FEH's, I had the impossible happen today. From a cold start, I had the wrench light come on in my '05 FEH. Everything was normal other than the light and I ran a Scan just to make sure it was most likely my blend door causing the light. No Codes Found came up so I assumed it was the blend door again. Had a few stops with Key-Off and restarts, but the light continued to flag a problem.

From the cold start-up in the morning, I kept the battery low and running in EV as much as possible. After another Key-Off while shopping at Costco, the light went out after restarting to go to my next stop. I let the battery charge to about 48% and had a long road to burn the SoC off in EV with the Cruise control at about 32mph. This is when it happen! I was in EV expecting the battery to burn down in SoC and it didn't. I looked over at the Nav battery level and there was no arrow from the battery to the wheels as normal. I looked over at the Assist needle and it was showing no assist while I was maintaining 32mph. The battery continued to maintain 48% for at least a mile down the road and the Assist needle never moved. I wanted to continue in this state of maintaining 32mph without seeing any energy use. My mileage average was increasing during this time like I've never seen before.

I had to stop and pick-up some checks from my wife and go to the bank and this change from shifting to "N" for the glide to a stop to her office stopped the strange behavior but I still had a very good charge left in my battery.

The only thing I can think of that happen is I had a faulty battery calibration which caused false readings of battery SoC level and usage from the PCM and gauges. That may have caused the Service Soon and wrench light in the start-up this morning.

GaryG

Old 11-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Crazy Thing Happen Today

I've seen stuff like this quite a bit. The can bus "hangs up" or something, and you see no change in data for several seconds... maybe 30. No too unusual in my car.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Default Re: Crazy Thing Happen Today

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I've seen stuff like this quite a bit. The can bus "hangs up" or something, and you see no change in data for several seconds... maybe 30. No too unusual in my car.
Hey John

No, this happen for like 5 minutes with no drain on the HV battery according to the Nav Sys. The next day, I had a strange battery reconditioning where I could not go EV even after a peak charge and a start of the discharge mode. Finally, I did a key-off restart and I was able to go EV after a minute or so. It all seams to be tied to the battery reconditioning program but screwed-up. Everything is normal now but I thought this was something to post about in case it happens to someone else.

GaryG