Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Clarification...We are going to buy another Ford Escape in addition to the 2005 FEH.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 PM

I have been an automotive technician for 15 years, 4 of those years at a Ford dealership. I also own a taxi company and 4 Ford Escapes hybrids with the atchison cycle 2.3L engine.
If I were to take a guess I would say that your ford escape engine failed due to high back pressure. The catalytic converter failed causing high back pressure and heat which damaged piston rings and possibly valve seals. And caused the engine to start using oil at a very high rate. Which in-turn caused the bearings to be starved for oil (that engine only holds 4 quarts of oil total) and being 2 quarts low on oil is losing half its oil.
If you replace the engine but don't check back pressure, you will have the same problem again very soon.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philip James Wallick
If I were to take a guess I would say that your ford escape engine failed due to high back pressure. The catalytic converter failed causing high back pressure and heat which damaged piston rings and possibly valve seals.
Is this failure of the catalytic converter a sudden event or does it develop slowly over time? Is there anything to monitor to indicate that back pressure is building? Sounds to me like a good theory.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

So, what was the outcome?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Enthusiast

where can i get tech info or diagrams specs on 2.3 hybrid motor

Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brian H Kellar

Try this: Name:  feh05workshopmanual.jpg
Views: 1668
Size:  198.8 KB

Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brian H Kellar
Best prices for the shop manuals is on eBay. Search Ford Escape Hybrid and you'll find what you're looking for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ford-Es...37e814&vxp=mtr

GaryG

Old 02-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Best prices for the shop manuals is on eBay. Search Ford Escape Hybrid and you'll find what you're looking for: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2007-Ford-Es...37e814&vxp=mtr

GaryG
Gary,
Is the FEH motor physically different from the normal ICE Escape up till 2009 (2.3L)? I thought the difference was how the computer controls the engine.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
Gary,
Is the FEH motor physically different from the normal ICE Escape up till 2009 (2.3L)? I thought the difference was how the computer controls the engine.
Hi Steve

There is a physical difference between the FEH engine and the standard ICE Escape engine. The manuals have two separate sections for the 2.3L engine and Hybrid 2.3L. The transmissions and the eCVT hook-up differently and the starting systems are of course completely different. The compression ratios are not the same either. The cams are different and the hybrid Atkinson cycle design make the FEH have much less torque at lower RPM's than the standard ICE.

Certainly there is more than computer controls different between the two engines, but the block and heads may share some of the basic designs.

GaryG

Old 02-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Hi Steve

There is a physical difference between the FEH engine and the standard ICE Escape engine. The manuals have two separate sections for the 2.3L engine and Hybrid 2.3L. The transmissions and the eCVT hook-up differently and the starting systems are of course completely different. The compression ratios are not the same either. The cams are different and the hybrid Atkinson cycle design make the FEH have much less torque at lower RPM's than the standard ICE.

Certainly there is more than computer controls different between the two engines, but the block and heads may share some of the basic designs.

GaryG
Thanks for the clarification. I presume this means then that the 2009 2.5 was also a different design from the 2009 ICE Escape 2.5l?

Quick Reply: Engine failure: Replace or rebuild

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands