First oil change in 09'..this dipstick sucks..

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default First oil change in 09'..this dipstick sucks..

Just did my first oil change in my 09', all went well but this dipstick sucks...must have stuck it in and out of the engine 20 times, can't get a solid reading...it's like there is an air pocket or something...reads high, then low, then no reading at all...it's like the oil is going everywhere but in the recess on the stick where the two lines are...what the heck...I've worked on my fair share of cars before, never seen such strange readings from a dipstick...am I the only one? I ran the engine for about 30 seconds after filling...I'm letting it sit overnight now.

Manual says 5 quarts, I put about 4.5 in and figured I'd start checking the stick but can't get a solid reading....

Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First oil change in 09'..this dipstick sucks..

Try removing the dipstick and leaving it out for five minutes or longer. Then quickly reinsert and remove, and see if that gives you a better reading. Sometimes the oil seems to stick between the tube and the dipstick and results in a bad reading.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: First oil change in 09'..this dipstick sucks..

I too noticed the dipstick has no holes, like I'm used to seeing on my old '01 Focus. This is my third Ford and the first not to have a "hole system" to tell if the oil is low or whatever. I had the dealer do my first change. (just trying to spend the love on the economy) But I'm going to check my oil level now. Just to see if they got it right.

Silly question: You on level ground? well not you but the FEH... I saw my buddy check his oil on his sloped drive way. Had to remind him about that one.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:52 PM

On my 06 I've found that the dipstick reads low unless I pull it up an inch or two, let it stand for maybe 10 or 20 seconds, reinsert it to get an accurate level and then pull it to read it.

It is as if there is a slight pressure that builds up in the tube pushing the level down until it is vented by pulling the dipstick up for a few seconds.

Go figure.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

I let it sit overnight and it at least registered between the lines on the cast metal part of the dipstick today...still not found of the thing but it did read. Still thought it was a bit weird in that it took every drop of my mobil 1 five quart jug which is exactly what the manual says it needs but I've read plenty of guys on here saying they only got 4 point something quarts in at oil change..full 5 quarts read dead center between the lines on the dipstick for me...and it's as level as it gets, inside my shop on a concrete floor. Only thing I can think of is I changed it without ramps, I know alot of guys use ramps but I jack it up, drain then lower it to drain the rest.

That dipstick still sucks

Old 07-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Addicted Enthusiast

Ha! I've had probs reading the dipstick since purchase and it bugs me. I can check it cold and oil is very low on stick. I can check it a few minutes later (engine still off) and it will read normal. This irregularity is really annoying after an oil change when I try to verify correct oil level. Its hard to tell if my engine burns oil because the oil level is always changing. Glad to see others have same issue...

Old 07-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep sounds exactly like what I'm seeing...or as I say...this dipstick sucks

Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 AM

The way to get repeatable level readings is to pull up the dipstick for a few seconds then push it back down, and then take the reading.

As best I can figure air gets trapped in the dipstick tube while running and causes a false low reading. Pull up the dipstick a couple of inches to vent this air and then take the reading.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

My $0.02

1) ALWAYS check on level ground
2) ALWAYS wait 30 min after running the engine*

*(or the same amount of time, each time )

I figure a whole lot of oil gets "suspended" up in the engine and clinging to parts, making the level look lower.

This is analogous to checking tire psi when hot and cold. You will get two different readings with the same amount of air (oil).