Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Relocate A/C Compressor to Electric drive motor

Originally Posted by wptski
Actually, I should have left the "they" out, meaning just you! It has nothing to do with your knowledge, it's the way you talk down to people. I remember one post where you told a member that he doesn't belong under the hood!!

I was going to comment about your rude reply to RSBROWN myself but held off but I'm glad to see that he spoke up. We both saw the rudeness in your post.
Yup, that post was unfortunate, and I apologized for it. And I did not change the post, which I could have. I own up to my mistakes. I should have realized that a person starting a thread like this one did indeed have enough knowledge to know how to set the A/C to run (or not) while stopped. It has been a long while since I read the owner's manual for the 2006, and while the underlying mechanical elements are the same for the 2005 - 2008, in 2008 they did re-do the exterior and interior of the FEH; but they didn't go to the "gen2" FEH until 2009.

However, I don't ever recall saying that someone did not belong under the hood. I think it likely that you saw my REPLY to a different post, where I had quoted a previous post. Your comment describes another person of whom I am thinking, who posts frequently, but that is not generally my style. For one thing, I don't get "under the hood" myself, except to check fluid levels. I find modern cars to be too computerized to work on, although I am considering attempting to replace my cabin filter next time - it seems easy enough.

EDIT: But I doubt it; since I have an extended warranty, I generally let the dealer do all maintenance. It is simpler should some kind of warranty issue arise.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying your earlier post. I don't mind being criticized, I just want to make sure I earned it...

Last edited by stevedebi; 06-23-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by stevedebi
However, I don't ever recall saying that someone did not belong under the hood. I think it likely that you saw my REPLY to a different post, where I had quoted a previous post. Your comment describes another person of whom I am thinking, who posts frequently, but that is not generally my style. For one thing, I don't get "under the hood" myself, except to check fluid levels. I find modern cars to be too computerized to work on, although I am considering attempting to replace my cabin filter next time - it seems easy enough.
I have to apologize for the "under the hood" comment! I actually found the post and you are correct, it wasn't you! It was another member with a male/female type username and I mixed the two up.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
I have to apologize for the "under the hood" comment! I actually found the post and you are correct, it wasn't you! It was another member with a male/female type username and I mixed the two up.
No big deal, I think I know of whom you write. Sometimes I get a bit bothered by a few members who have a VERY rigid "my idea is the only right way" sort of attitude.

BTW, my lifetime MPG just slipped below 30 (29.99), and I'm still quite happy with my FEH.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

good day
Just to inform you that:
I have a 2010 FEH and I can tell you that when that electric compressor is running and you are stopped, my SOC goes down by at least .1% per second.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quebec
good day
Just to inform you that:
I have a 2010 FEH and I can tell you that when that electric compressor is running and you are stopped, my SOC goes down by at least .1% per second.
Just what I thought and I have already started a thread on this very issue:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33053

Ford knew this and it is one reason they eliminated the Aux Battery A/C on the 2010 FEH and FFH. For those that want and need to use the A/C, the '09 FEH should get better mileage. Now that it is in the 90's F here in Jupiter my Aux Battery A/C runs when the engine runs. The hot temperature makes the engine more efficient so I'm expecting to maintain 57mpg tanks this summer.

This is going to hurt Ford when word gets out and they should have waited till the Li Ion plug-in batteries were available to make the change.

GaryG

Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Quebec
good day
Just to inform you that:
But the FE losses from the just the econ operation of the belt driven A/C probably still exceed yours.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Enthusiast

stevedebi,

Thanks for your updates. I guess I can just burn a little extra gas to keep cool. Where do you find the lifetime mpg? My highway average is about 30mpg and my city is about 27. I just took it to the dealer and paid for the blend door actuator and to have all firmware flashed. The car seems to start using the battery sooner and for longer periods than previously. Still not quite the fuel efficiency I was looking for especially sitting in a hot car if I try to get the most out of my tank.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by rsbrown
stevedebi,

Thanks for your updates. I guess I can just burn a little extra gas to keep cool. Where do you find the lifetime mpg? My highway average is about 30mpg and my city is about 27. I just took it to the dealer and paid for the blend door actuator and to have all firmware flashed. The car seems to start using the battery sooner and for longer periods than previously. Still not quite the fuel efficiency I was looking for especially sitting in a hot car if I try to get the most out of my tank.
I should have been more clear in my post. Every time I fill up, I put the miles and gallons in my excel spreadsheet (on my phone). So I keep track of the cumulative MPG as well as the last tank.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevedebi
I should have been more clear in my post. Every time I fill up, I put the miles and gallons in my excel spreadsheet (on my phone). So I keep track of the cumulative MPG as well as the last tank.
NP, I was looking through some of the menus to see if I could find it. Wish there was a running log stored someplace since I bought the FEH used.