Towing MMH four wheels down

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
Default Re: Towing MMH four wheels down

Originally Posted by gpsman1
And what if the traction motor is too hot, or out of service for some other reason? There may be conditions not normally thought of when the smaller starter motor may be able to contribute to propulsion.

I'm not saying this is the case... I havn't tried it... but what if the traction motor was broken? Could the starter motor back you out of a parking stall?
I think yes it can... and may be a primary purpose of the "one-way clutch".
I'm going to have to think about this senario for a while....

-John
That came to my thoughts also John.

For those that are not familar with LOS (limited operating strategy), the FEH/MMH can use other methods to continue driving till you reach a safe place to stop. Example, I ran out of gas on I-95 but drove EV up to 40mph to an off ramp with a low SoC.

Speaking of the one-way clutch, I'm doing some more research on it's function and finding out more how they work. If you or anyone else want to help me out, please do. Borgwarner provided the one-way clutch for the FEH, so I'm looking at borgwarner for answers and have not completed a patent search yet. Many articles are no longer available on the web, but I'm still looking.

GaryG

Old 12-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Enthusiast

GaryG, I went to the link you listed in your post. I really enjoyed the info in it. I'll throw in a three more questions. When the key is in the "lock" position, the steering wheel doesn't seem to be locked. Is it supposed to be locked. If not, then what is difference between the lock position and the next position before the start position? I'm thinking of the correct position to use while towing behind my motorhome. Secondly, does the heater use the engine coolant for heat, or is it an electrical setup? Thirdly, what are the mechanics of the battery pack HVAC system?

Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bg1811
GaryG, I went to the link you listed in your post. I really enjoyed the info in it. I'll throw in a three more questions. When the key is in the "lock" position, the steering wheel doesn't seem to be locked. Is it supposed to be locked. If not, then what is difference between the lock position and the next position before the start position? I'm thinking of the correct position to use while towing behind my motorhome. Secondly, does the heater use the engine coolant for heat, or is it an electrical setup? Thirdly, what are the mechanics of the battery pack HVAC system?
The heater is on the engine coolant loop... that much I can answer. Don't worry however... in my experience its always been hot enough to carry over in EV mode until the next time the engine turns on.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:36 PM

Tim answer the first question, so I try to give the second question a try.

The steering wheel does not lock unless the key is removed in my '05 FEH. You cannot remove the key as long as the shifter is in neutral also. The best you can do is turn the power off in neutral and leave the key in.

There must be a few tow bar set-ups for the FEH/MMH that give you instructions on how to hook-up to your RV. I think I heard the Ford's tow kit had a recall a while back, but can't say for sure. Towing with an RV is an area I know nothing about, so maybe you can get some help here from someone who does.

Also, you may want to get a keyless keypad if you don't have one. See my photos in this sig page by clicking on them. I got mine on Ebay for ~$54.

GaryG

Old 12-25-2006, 09:38 AM

It is my understanding that the FEH/MMH both have an electric clutch that disengages the motive "forces" from the driveline when the system is switched off or if an inertial switch detects a sudden jerking force, motion, as in being rear-ended.

So it is safe for use as a TOAD.

Old 01-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast

I got my base plate installed on my MMH yesterday and towed it about two miles to my house. I put the key in the notch one back from the start position. I noticed that in that position, there is a message in the nav screen that says "System is Off" which I understand the nav/radio etc are off. My concern is I wondering how much electricity is being used by this meassage and will the cranking battery be dead after I've towed the car all day? I would assume this message wouldn't use much electricy, but, anybody got any thoughts on this.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM

I got my base plate installed on my MMH yesterday and towed it about two miles to my house. I put the key in the notch one back from the start position. I noticed that in that position, there is a message in the nav screen that says "System is Off" which I understand the nav/radio etc are off. My concern is I wondering how much electricity is being used by this meassage and will the cranking battery be dead after I've towed the car all day? I would assume this message wouldn't use much electricy, but, anybody got any thoughts on this.
Not nearly enough to matter. You are talking a battery that can drive a >3500 forward. That takes alot more energy than a LCD display even with a backlight.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Not nearly enough to matter. You are talking a battery that can drive a >3500 forward. That takes alot more energy than a LCD display even with a backlight.
Wouldn't the LCD, the nav system and all the other accessories be powered by the 12v battery, not the propulsion battery? i don't think it matters anyway since there would still be very little current draw.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

I would think the power would come from the cranking battery.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Actually you are right... it does come from the 12V when the vehicle is off... When the car is on the 12V system is driven by the HV system with a step down converter. Since the car starts from the HV battery it should start just fine though.

Quick Reply: Towing MMH four wheels down

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands