Towing MMH four wheels down

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Default Re: Towing MMH four wheels down

Originally Posted by bg1811
I got my base plate installed on my MMH yesterday and towed it about two miles to my house. I put the key in the notch one back from the start position. I noticed that in that position, there is a message in the nav screen that says "System is Off" which I understand the nav/radio etc are off. My concern is I wondering how much electricity is being used by this meassage and will the cranking battery be dead after I've towed the car all day? I would assume this message wouldn't use much electricy, but, anybody got any thoughts on this.
There are 4 positions on the ignition switch:
0) Off
1) Acc
2) Run
3) Start

If you keep the Acc on, better make sure everything is turned off. Acc is working off the 12 volt battery and will run it down. If you place the key in the Run position, you working off both batteries and can drain both batteries. My '05 FEH allows me to turn the Acc off in Neutral, but does not go to the full off position (between Acc and Off). This is where I suggest you leave the key when towing. I do not have a message on the dash in this position. It must just break the Acc on position, so there is no power (or little when the door lights come on etc.). I think the 12 volt battery drain would be the same if the key were removed in the Off position, JMHO.

GaryG

Old 01-08-2007, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast

We'll find out. This coming weekend I'm be towing the MMH about 600 miles to New Orleans. I'm glad to hear the engine using the EV batteries to crank the engine. If that is the case, why are there such exact instructions in the owner's manual about jump starting the 12v battery? Why would you need to do this? I'll definitely leave the key in the acc position. I'm waiting to hear back from another rv'er (viewfinder) about this issue. Viewfinder, if you're lurking here, please see my PM at rv.net.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:47 AM

We'll find out. This coming weekend I'm be towing the MMH about 600 miles to New Orleans. I'm glad to hear the engine using the EV batteries to crank the engine. If that is the case, why are there such exact instructions in the owner's manual about jump starting the 12v battery? Why would you need to do this? I'll definitely leave the key in the acc position. I'm waiting to hear back from another rv'er (viewfinder) about this issue. Viewfinder, if you're lurking here, please see my PM at rv.net.
The proceedure in the manual is for jump starting the HV (High Voltage) battery, not the 12V battery. In that proceedure, the 12V dumps its low voltage charge in the HV battery so the HV battery can start the engine with the small motor/generator. There is no 12V starter on the FEH/MMH.

GaryG

Old 01-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast

GaryG, how do you know all this stuff (LOL)? I've now learned something else! So even if the 12v. battery runs down, it's a mute point because the EV is going to start the car and then the generator will recharge the 12v battery....right?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:31 AM

GaryG, how do you know all this stuff (LOL)? I've now learned something else! So even if the 12v. battery runs down, it's a mute point because the EV is going to start the car and then the generator will recharge the 12v battery....right?
Not sure about that. It is possible that if the 12V battery is dead, you can turn the key to "On" so the HV battery can send juice to the 12V battery through the high voltage DC converter to the low voltage battery. Then the PCM which operates off the 12V system can comunicate everything for a start. If this is true, I'd leave the key in the "On" position a few minutes before trying to start the vehicle.

GaryG

Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

One part of the reason is for "compatibility." Say you did have an HV battery that was down too far to start the engine. If you leave it set for long enough (there is a statement in the manual for how long that is but its a month or more) is one way for this to happen.... How do you jump start your vehicle? Find another Escape Hybrid with a 330V? Not likely... the tow truck wouldn't be able to help you either... so they've built a system where you can 1) use charge from the 12V into the 330V to give you enough to roll the engine over (and let the generator recharge both). Or heaven forbid if BOTH are dead, you can still jump start from someones "normal" 12V system in a normal car via the detailed instructions in the manual to use their 12V through your system into the 330V! Very nice actually and tells you they were trying to think of everything that COULD go wrong.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast

Teestar, makes sense to me. Anyway, I'll give this setup a real world test this coming weekend and post what happened.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Please let me know... I currently have a tow dolly that we used for our 02 Jetta, but I still have my tow bar from our old Geo Tracker. Did you have Camping World do the install or someone else?

Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

Real world report. I have now towed the MMH hybrid for 1300 miles over a period of three days. I towed it with a Blue Ox towbar that I had installed at a local RV dealer. The base plate has serial number 00006 on it so there are, at least, that many units being towed four wheels down. During the three days, I did not start the engine. It started as usual when I arrived in Sarasota. The nav screen had the message on it that I mentioned earlier, but, that didn't seem to run the battery down. Anyway, no problems.