What should I expect??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast
Question What should I expect??

I just purchased a 2009 FEH. Current Mileage is 32000. I pick it up on Wednesday. I traded in my 2007 Toyota Camery (needed an SUV) where I was avg about 25-26mpg.
It's my first Hybrid. My drive to work is about 50 miles each way most highway but I sit in traffic for about half of it (avg about 30-35 mph).
What are some tips and tricks to get the best mileage and what should I expect for mileage.
Thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What should I expect??

Find GaryG and read his posts and learn. However, your world is different than his world and don't expect mileage like what he reports.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Enthusiast

Hello. Congrats! I recently bought a 2009 FEH (FWD) a week and a half ago. I love it, it is a heck of a lot of fun. Check out the thread I created that got a lot of feed back from GaryG with starting points. Search for his posts everywhere though on this site as well as cleanmpg.com.

My FEH beginnings thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...05-09-a-25721/

Cheers,

Lukas

Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. Very informative and found some additional information as well. Based on what I read and how I drive, I am hoping and thinking I should get same type of mileage or better that I get from my V6 Camry. Which is all I was hoping for.
The only thing I am not clear on is warming the car up in the morning. Unfortunately its about 20-30 degrees and my car is outside. I have to start it up in the morning before I put my 2 year old in it and drop him off at daycare so I am assuming I will take a hit on the FE there, but my question is how much if I let it run for 10 minutes or so before I get in it? If it was not for the little guy I would just get in and go.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I find my electric seat warmers do a fantastic job and never warm mine up.

Idling a cold engine with a rich mixture and no load is hard on your engine. Fortunately your hybrid does not need a warm-up since the EV motor do much of the initial propulsion. Maybe a block heater on a timer (so it runs the 4 hours prior to leaving) might keep you from senseless idling?

Old 01-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
I find my electric seat warmers do a fantastic job and never warm mine up.

Idling a cold engine with a rich mixture and no load is hard on your engine. Fortunately your hybrid does not need a warm-up since the EV motor do much of the initial propulsion. Maybe a block heater on a timer (so it runs the 4 hours prior to leaving) might keep you from senseless idling?
Good advise Rick! but it's his kid he's thinking about I think.

GaryG

Old 01-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

Rick thanks for the input. GaryG is correct though I was speaking generally for my son's sake. If it was just for me I would just get in and go. I enjoy the cold weather personally.

The good news is today was comforting knowing I went 101 miles and 32.3mpg round trip.