What tire pressure are you hypermilers using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What tire pressure are you hypermilers using?

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:37 AM

MM, can't speak for wayne but there is a delay in EV in both "N" and "D" simply because the eCVT takes more time to start the ICE and get things moving. With Wayne's history of P&G, you can bet he has had fast moving targets coming from the rear more than once. Its far better to have a manual and clutch and ICE on in a situation like this, than ICE off EV with a eCVT. And yes, you can get your *** run over and I've been involve in an accident myself with a fast moving target at a stop light. Years ago while driving a '67 912 Porshe, I changed lanes to be first in line at a stoplight that had just turned red. A Pinto traveling at a high rate of speed had planned to run the light and layed on his horn because he couldn't stop. Because the Porshe had a manual, I was able to dump the clutch with my RPM's high and start moving running the light myself. He hit me on the move with the Porshe floored half way through the intersection. The impact was still so hard, it broke the rear of my seat and knocked me 40 feet before I could apply the brakes to stop. There were no injuries.

Given the same situation in my FEH, chances are the Pinto driver would have been a part of my FEH bumper. A delay of .5 seconds can be deadly so watch your *** driving EV, I do the best I can. As a firefighter/paramedic I've seen deadly rearend accidents even on I-95 where both cars are moving but one came in as a fast moving target behind the other car.

GaryG

Old 01-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Right. It's not speed that kills, its CLOSING speed that kills.

MM

Old 01-21-2006, 01:02 PM

One other thing I like to point out about tire presure in the FEH. When I jumped from 40psi to 44psi at around 10,000 miles, I notice an increase in EV speed in my FWD. Setting the cruise was easier and stayed EV longer distances without an ICE restart. The rolling resistance decreased with just a 4 psi increase enough to make me stay at the 44psi setting. One of my tires drops pressure in a week or so down to 41 psi and I'm quick to check all tires and add air even between fill ups. I have a nice pressure gauge and small DC air compressor I keep in the FEH for this reason.

I agree higher presure than 44psi will decrease roll resistance and most likely tire ware, but I'd rather keep the liability with the tire manufacturer at 44psi myself.

Xcel, glad you added a plus to the .5 delay in the eCVT Ice on figure. Compared to ICE on manual, I think its more than a two second delay at some speeds which would compound everything.

GaryG