Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

Originally Posted by reneg
The maintenance schedule for my 08 MMH calls for oil changes every 10,000 miles or 200 engine hours. Since I don't measure engine hours, I'm going by miles, but it seems as if a lot folks change their oil more frequently. Is my maintenance schedule wrong?
Your maintenance schedule is correct... there are other threads covering why and such.

Some people just figure it can't hurt and are used to the 3,000-5,000 interval of a standard car.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennb
I think Sean and I can agree to disagree at this point.

0w-20 is not a 0 weight oil. It is a 20 weight oil (as defined by its minimum measured viscosity at 212F) that flows at 0w properties when cold.
Glenn,

If this were true, then you could buy a quart of 0w-20 and a quart of straight 20 weight and they would pour the same.

Where you are mistaken about this is in the thinking that 0w20 isn't a 0 weight oil. It certainly is!

another example.. 10w20 10w30 10w40 10w50....ALL are a 10 weight oil, with additives to "protect" like the second number....

Surely you would agree that a quart of 10W40 and straight 40 weight oil are VERY different in viscosity?!?

I wont beat this horse to death...

Sean

Old 12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pb5927317
Ford Dealer just changed mine and put in 5W30. I questioned and they said that it wont affect mileage. I will go full mobil synthetic after 5k miles, just wanted to get fresh oil in at 2500 miles.

no impact on gas mileage.
I changed my oil & filter the 1st time at 800 miles, and used Castrol semi-synthetic 5W20, same viscosity that Ford put in. Was that necessary? Probably not, but I'm from the old school, and that 1st oil change is the most important in the car's live, IMO. I will extend the periodicity and go to full synthetic on the 2nd or 3td change.

At what mileage will I do the 2nd change? Probably 3500miles, and thereafter, will probably go 5-7K miles, depending on driving conditions?

Can you change it too often. Of course not. Is 10K miles OK in the FEH? Yes, I believe it is, and perhaps some of the younger folks can convince me to go 10K miles someday. My garage is my refuge, and I like changing my oil.

BTW, on my last 72VW beetle engine overhaul, the initial oil was ran 20 miles, and the 2nd change at 300 miles. Lordy, the metal shavings in that 1st change were a sight to behold. Just a smidge in the 2nd, and none visible at the normal 2K mile change. But remember, no oil filter either.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reneg
The maintenance schedule for my 08 MMH calls for oil changes every 10,000 miles or 200 engine hours. Since I don't measure engine hours, I'm going by miles, but it seems as if a lot folks change their oil more frequently. Is my maintenance schedule wrong?

Yeah they say first 5K miles, then every 10K miles after that.

My thoughts are the reason to change oil is to get impurieties out of your motor. During every season change I will continue to change oil or 3-4k miles.

Oil is cheap, plus then I can time tire rotations so fourth easier.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Will Ford dealer use different oil blend?

KenE -

We think a lot alike. I enjoy changing my own oil because it allows me to monitor other aspects of the motor - and it provides some refuge.

I too agree that oil changes are a cheap investment in extending the life of the engine - just be sure and see that the old oil is recycled (less of a impact on the environment).

I don't think that the early oil changes are necessary as much any more because new motors are spun at the factory as part of the fabrication process. However, I am sold on changes every 3500 to 4000 (operating) miles. This almost assures that the oil has not had a chance to "breakdown" and lose viscosity.

On the FEH, preliminary evidence indicates that the ICE operates 70-80% of the time for the average driver. This means oil changes at every 5000 miles on the odometer are comparable to every 3500 or so in a non-hybrid.

On the VW Type I's, remember they are oil and air cooled (no water cooling) and run at much higher temperatures - higher temps mean quicker viscosity breakdown. Always ran straight SAE30 weight in my 67 and 69 Beetles.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

If the oil looks really clear, I will use it in lawnmowers so fourth.

The first oil change in the hybrid was really cloudy. Not foamy, just like it
was some type of white lithium assembly grease in it.

I made the dealer save it for me, but I have since decided to recycle it, I wish I would have taken a pic to show.....

It also had a very strong odor, not gas odor, but something different, seems like I never noticed the oil smell with Mobil.

I think 0w20 through 5w30 weights are likely ok. Just full synthetic.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glennb
KenE -

We think a lot alike. I enjoy changing my own oil because it allows me to monitor other aspects of the motor - and it provides some refuge.
GlennB - I like Wrenching on all my vehicles, especially VW Type I, where it's not an option. Old VW's are demanding. I'm down to one VW now, the 72 Super. You are so right abt the air cooled engine, and no stock oil filter. Don't want to get 'off base' here, since this is a FEH forum, not VW. I LUV EM both -> The practicality of the VW (in warmer Wx), and the technology in the FEH.

The VW oil get's changed every 1000 miles, and my other cars about 3K miles. I think 5K on the FEH with a 70-80% ICE duty cycle will be about right with full hybrid. I reuse or recycle ALL old oil. Some is saved for my chain saw chain lubricating, some is burnt in my stove in my detached garage (another story), and the rest is recycled at AutoZone. I don't mind using something, but hate to waste anything. That's part of the fun of hybrid ownership -> sip fuel, not guzzle.