Winter Tire Set Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Winter Tire Set Questions

I've got a 2007 FEH with 42,000 miles and find the tire grip to really be wanting in Michigan winters. I'm considering buying winter tires on a separate set of rims for winter use.

Questions:
1) Can I use steel rims from a regular Escape or are the hybrid wheels somehow unique?

2) Where is a good source for rims?

3) If I get rims with no tire pressure monitoring sensors will a tire store likely mount the tires, or will they insist on TPMS sensors being added?

Thanks.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Default Re: Winter Tire Set Questions

Originally Posted by travelover
I've got a 2007 FEH with 42,000 miles and find the tire grip to really be wanting in Michigan winters. I'm considering buying winter tires on a separate set of rims for winter use.

Questions:
1) Can I use steel rims from a regular Escape or are the hybrid wheels somehow unique?

2) Where is a good source for rims?

3) If I get rims with no tire pressure monitoring sensors will a tire store likely mount the tires, or will they insist on TPMS sensors being added?

Thanks.
I recommend changing your tires now this winter and using your existing FEH rims with new winter tires. Go on a hunt for FEH rims on Ebay till you find a complete set. Here is a link to start with: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories

Keep the existing tires if they're still good and hopefully some of the rims you buy will have TPMS on them. Ask before purchasing.

The tire stores hate TPMS and don't care.

The FEH rims are special lightweight rims and worth the investment when you sell them with or without your FEH.

Don't waste any money on rims that are not meant for the FEH that won't be worth anything after you sell your FEH.

GaryG

Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There are aftermarket wheels that are even lighter and stronger than the Ford ones and will help you get even better mpg! The Ford rims from other non-hybrid Escapes are probably just as round and fit the same as the ones you have now.
Some of the big online tire shops will have Ford rims that their customers traded in. They can sell you tires mounted on the rims already so you don't have to fuss with a tire shop. The TPMS system on the 2007 is a pain though (if you want to keep it) because it uses expensive bands and not valve stems like later models have. The bigger shops can also install the bands, but you'll have to reset your TPMS computer each time you swap the set of wheels. I think there's a cheap tool that can assist with this.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

Try LKQ. I've done quite a few transactions with them in the past and think their service is first rate. http://www.lkqcorp.com

Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM
Feral Engineer

OP here.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it would cost me $600 for rims, not including a TPMS set. I can have the tires pulled off and on a lot of times for that.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Another option I forgot to mention is all-terrain tires. They will cost you a mpg or two but will have better performance in winter conditions.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's what I did D Mac. I bought Michelin LTX AT-2. It may cost me in mileage, but i weighed it against the cost of another set of rims and tires, and also, I like to get off road at a moment's notice without changing over wheels. These tires handle awesome in the snow, so predictable. A true 4 season, all terrain tire.

Last edited by Jerry&Natalie; 01-05-2011 at 02:55 PM.