Would you recommend the Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Would you recommend the Escape?

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I wouldn't really call a fully powered driver and passanger seat crap. When I start to get into the 32K MSRP range for a car I start to expect stuff like that to be included. This is actually one of my #1 cripes about the car. My wife and I both drive is, and I have to adjust the stupid seat every time.

In my 325i our seat settings are stored in the onboard CPU. So when I hit unlock with my key (vs. her key) the seat will automatically move back to where I had it when I was last in the car. Same for my wife. In addition, with the seat memories I can always move the seat back to my normal position in case a valet has moved it. I don't think this is much to ask for when you are spending 30K+ on a car.

And once again, why is rear air crap and too much to ask for in (again) a 30K car.

Which dealer did you buy your 325i new at for 30k?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
Maybe we should just ignore Willard with his posts here?
Not just yet. I think Willard (and hopefully a few others) have learned something in this thread.

2009 FEH/MMH = Advancetrac with RSC standard equipment (yes, this is traction AND stability control). And Sync is standard too.

2008+ FEH/MMH = 6 way power adjustable drivers seat (standard, sorry no presets though )

Also, the 2008 FEH (and maybe previous models too) has duct work under the front seats that supply heat/cool to the back seats. I know that's not as good as a separate unit. Do any other SUVs in it's category offer this feature? (I honestly haven't checked).

Again I ask, what other 2008 model SUV on the market best the FEH/MMH in the FE/Emissions/price comparison (especially if you're able to get the $3000 federal credit and other possible state, insurance and maintenance benefits )?

Old 07-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Which dealer did you buy your 325i new at for 30k?
I did not buy my '06 325 for 30K and never said I did. I did, however, say that I expect rear air on cars (and SUVs esp.) when you get in the 30K range.

That said, in 2006 the 3 series added rear air standard. As a result, if you bought a base model you would get rear air and (at least in 2006) that would have run you about 30K MSRP. However, my car is loaded and as a result it is closer to 38K.

But my point was that I think rear air should be standard in SUVs when they aproach 30K. Now I don't know the SUV market and car types like I know sport sedans so I can't speak of other models, but does a Hylander, Rav4, Pilot (etc) that are loaded have rear air? My loaded 08 FEH doesn't. In fact it doesn't even have seat memory or power passenger seats and (full) power driver seats... I would think at 32.3K MSRP that it would have thoes two things - seat memory, rear air and full driver and passenger power seats.

I don't think that is too much to ask... That said, I do love the car, but as with everything there are things that annoy me (like my window controls in the 325 for instance).

Old 07-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I did not buy my '06 325 for 30K and never said I did. I did, however, say that I expect rear air on cars (and SUVs esp.) when you get in the 30K range.

That said, in 2006 the 3 series added rear air standard. As a result, if you bought a base model you would get rear air and (at least in 2006) that would have run you about 30K MSRP. However, my car is loaded and as a result it is closer to 38K.

But my point was that I think rear air should be standard in SUVs when they aproach 30K. Now I don't know the SUV market and car types like I know sport sedans so I can't speak of other models, but does a Hylander, Rav4, Pilot (etc) that are loaded have rear air? My loaded 08 FEH doesn't. In fact it doesn't even have seat memory or power passenger seats and (full) power driver seats... I would think at 32.3K MSRP that it would have thoes two things - seat memory, rear air and full driver and passenger power seats.

I don't think that is too much to ask... That said, I do love the car, but as with everything there are things that annoy me (like my window controls in the 325 for instance).
I can understand your pain when it comes to things you want on a vehicle when you spend upwards of $30K. In reality, things like this are one of the reasons I did not buy the '08 last year when it was redone. It now seems that the '09 model has more of the perceived luxury items that had previously been lacking.

I do however, disagree with you on the rear air item. Not in the sense that it is something desired but in that it is something becoming more standard on vehicles over $30K. I think that 'separate' air controls are becoming more standard but I always understood that those were geared more to the front passenger than the rear of the vehicle. I do think, along with you, that this is something, rear air, that is more needed for vans and suv's than passenger cars though. Do the 'passenger' air controls on most vehicles also regulate the back of the vehicle or does the back continue to be controlled by the driver's settings?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

In my 325 the back air is controlled by the people in the back. There is a temperature control sliding gauge. While it isn't the best system and I do feel like it is overkill in a small car like the 325.

However, this is probably the reason I feel like in the back of the FEH it is needed. My expectations have been set the last two years that back passangers should have air (from the 325 I own). That said - I knew I was buying a Ford and not a luxury European car and as a result I made the "sacrifice" (if you will) - but I still stand behind the belief that rear air should be standard (or at least on the Prem. package) and that the passanger seat should be a power seat - it isn't and that is just tacky.

Of course, from the "hybrid" standpoint thoes power conponents (and run on the rear air) add weight which would hurt the gas mileage. But, I could really care less if that dropped it 1 mpg becuase I like my comforts and love the technology behind the hybrid. I also like the fact that I never see another FEH on the road (I've seen 3 in the 2 months I've owned the car). Must be why I am looking at trading in the 325i for a GS460h

Old 07-15-2008, 11:14 AM

I just checked and the CR-V, Vue, and RAV4 also do not offer rear climate control. The Pilot, Highlander, Outlook , Explorer, etc (all 8 passenger types) seem to offer rear HVAC.

I think if you want rear climate control, 8 way power seats, and a hybrid you're going to be in the mid-size SUV category with the Highlander or the Lexus and both start at $39K.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

MyPart, agreed. Even my beloved X3 (I get it as a loaner all the time when the 325 is getting serviced) doesn't have rear climate controls.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Green Lantern
I can understand your pain when it comes to things you want on a vehicle when you spend upwards of $30K. In reality, things like this are one of the reasons I did not buy the '08 last year when it was redone. It now seems that the '09 model has more of the perceived luxury items that had previously been lacking.

I do however, disagree with you on the rear air item. Not in the sense that it is something desired but in that it is something becoming more standard on vehicles over $30K.

I think that 'separate' air controls are becoming more standard but I always understood that those were geared more to the front passenger than the rear of the vehicle.

When I first read the above I thought "Finally, someone understands that rear air helps to prevent the front seat passengers from freezing their tails off in order to keep the "guests" in the rear comfortable."

I guess not.

I do think, along with you, that this is something, rear air, that is more needed for vans and suv's than passenger cars though. Do the 'passenger' air controls on most vehicles also regulate the back of the vehicle or does the back continue to be controlled by the driver's settings?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by MyPart
Not just yet. I think Willard (and hopefully a few others) have learned something in this thread.

Also, the 2008 FEH (and maybe previous models too) has duct work under the front seats that supply heat/cool to the back seats. I know that's not as good as a separate unit. Do any other SUVs in it's category offer this feature? (I honestly haven't checked).
I think this is only for heat, not A/C. Almost all modern cars (every one I've heard of) has ducts under the front seats to supply heat to the rear.

A/C under the front seats would make no sense unless one wanted cold feet - unlike heat, which rises.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybridluv
Test drove an 08 Escape Hybrid and was pretty happy. Drove kinda like my old Explorer. Would you buy an Escape hybrid again if you had a choice? Going to give the Highlander a shot this weekend.
Labor Day weekend this year I will have owned my FEH for 3 years. I have never owned a better, more reliable vehicle. I have driven it almost 90K miles and have only changed the oil, replaced the air filter with a K&N filter, put new tires on it at 65K miles, and had a corroded connector on the ABS module, about a $200 repair. I have yet to change the brake pads. I drive it like I stole it, and still get 26 MPH or so in summer and about 28 MPG during the "winter" months. I intend to own and drive this car until it dies. And then I'll buy another one....

Quick Reply: Would you recommend the Escape?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands