back from 4 weeks in Europe and...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:43 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default both the A4 and the TA-4J are skyhawks

Originally Posted by kklein
Yes Jet 1 it is a TA 4J two seat, I think that the single seat was called the Skyhawk? Long nose gear. I think that this was used for Carrier Quals? The Blues had them for a few years after the Phantoms and before the F/A-18s? Looks like a great ride, well we will see in a week, I am llooking forward to flying it.
the TA4j was an advanced trainer....no weapons hard points and the T designation is one of the things that saved it from being turned in to beer cans. Civilians CAN own (well read USED TO BE ABLE) military fighters. The gubmint. in its infinate wisdom has now made it illegal for a US citizen to re-import a US built jet from a foreign country...and they put so many barriers in the way to own one that it is far less expensive to bring in an L-39 FOREIGN made jet.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default the Sukhoi 27 flanker is a good plane...

but not that good. it has a huge thrust ratio but there is no way you could pull off an aileron roll at take off like that. you would just become a HOLE in the ground.
FYI a friend has 2 !! flankers for sale in the US right now....its a GIANT FUEL HOG but would be pretty cool to own.

http://www.prideaircraft.com/flanker.htm

the Sukhoi 31 (next generation) has a canard arrangement and it is an amazing flyer (yep ive seen it first hand) but then the age of the fighter pilot is long gone. We even stopped production on the F-22 series planes and that can do AMAZING things in the air.

Originally Posted by Guss
JEt and K,
I saw this video on the net, and was wondering if it is true or just a haux, since I don't understand how the camera was following the jet so close? it could be computer genrated.
I thought I would share it with the experts on this forum and get some real feedback

http://www.youtube.com/user/kt088#p/a/u/0/RBTlzZIqGDo

Last edited by jet1; 11-14-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: back from 4 weeks in Europe and...

Jet if you get a Flanker, PM me, I want a ride (lemme go find my NATOPS jacket, i have it somewhere)...

Remember, if it has a ****** (the stinger between the engines), it's a flanker!!!

Old 11-15-2009, 06:45 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default its a bit out of my economic class...

Originally Posted by Cygnus9th
Jet if you get a Flanker, PM me, I want a ride (lemme go find my NATOPS jacket, i have it somewhere)...

Remember, if it has a ****** (the stinger between the engines), it's a flanker!!!
although I could afford to start it and do a fast taxi about 4 times a year!

Last edited by jet1; 11-16-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: spelling....doh!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: back from 4 weeks in Europe and...

The Ukraine splinter camo pattern in this pic is pretty cool. Sort of like what the Swedes used to do with the Viggen, but with bluish colors instead of earth tones.

Last edited by KC135R; 11-15-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: both the A4 and the TA-4J are skyhawks

Originally Posted by jet1
the TA4j was an advanced trainer....no weapons hard points and the T designation is one of the things that saved it from being turned in to beer cans. Civilians CAN own (well read USED TO BE ABLE) military fighters. The gubmint. in its infinate wisdom has now made it illegal for a US citizen to re-import a US built jet from a foreign country...and they put so many barriers in the way to own one that it is far less expensive to bring in an L-39 FOREIGN made jet.
Thanks Jet 1 for the informayion, the barriers are not qoute as hard in Canada. Do you have any A4 time?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 AM
FLY NAVY!
Default yes but....

Originally Posted by kklein
Thanks Jet 1 for the informayion, the barriers are not qoute as hard in Canada. Do you have any A4 time?
just a couple of familiarization flights, some takeoffs no landings downwind to base to final but no touchdowns.