Catalytic Converter Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 AM
K-9 UNIT
Default Catalytic Converter Replacement

Hello all.....

I have a bad Cat. GM initially said it was covered under warranty, but now they are refusing to honor the warranty. Apparently it is some issue with Federal law mandating a certain minimum emissions warranty period in MA, CA, NY, VT, ME that is causing enough confusion that the dealer said yes, then got confused and decided it was easier to tell me to "screw". I have contacted the attorney general, the NHTSB, and some EPA type group. We will see with that.

My actual question is, does anyone know what size bolts are used on the catalytic converter? I need to pack some tools to head to the shop so I can put it on the lift. If anyone knows, it would be very appreciated.

Thanks

JT

Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Default Re: Catalytic Converter Replacement

exhaust systems are not covered under warranty.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The converters are welded in. There are two 3-bolt flanges, one on each exhaust manifold. Then the crossover "Y" pipe is attached to the rear end wit ha clamp. What year and how many miles? If well rusted you will need lots of heat. Oxy acetylene or maybe a Turbo-Torch head on a MAPP gas bottle. Propane won't get er done. Then depending on model year there are at least 4 O2 sensors.

Depending on the code such as Cat Efficiency... you may ignore it without a major hit.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM
K-9 UNIT

Fortunately for me, Catalytic converters are not exhaust parts, they are emissions parts. The warranty manual specifically lists them as such, and indicates how long they are warrantied in certain states. I realize that it is very confusing, especially to me, and I guess that is why the story keeps changing.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 AM
K-9 UNIT

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Hybrid
The converters are welded in. There are two 3-bolt flanges, one on each exhaust manifold. Then the crossover "Y" pipe is attached to the rear end wit ha clamp. What year and how many miles? If well rusted you will need lots of heat. Oxy acetylene or maybe a Turbo-Torch head on a MAPP gas bottle. Propane won't get er done. Then depending on model year there are at least 4 O2 sensors.

Depending on the code such as Cat Efficiency... you may ignore it without a major hit.

It is an 08 with about 100k. The rear 2 bolts had some rust, but came off OK. The front 6 bolts suck! No rust at all. the problem is, there is no good way to access them. On each side, there is 1 bolt you can hit straight on and get off. The remaining 2 on each side are obstructed by the Cat's themselves, so you can only get them at an angle. I even took off the wheel well, but even from there you are at too much of an angle to get the whole nut with a wrench, and a socket won't fit. I wonder if I can turn the bolt? It has one of those 5(?) point ends on the bottom of it.

Any ideas would be great.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sorry I can't help with getting the cat off, but please keep us up to date on how the conversation is going about if the cat is covered or not because this was just brought up late last week by the GMPP extended warranty company representative as not covered as an example of what's covered vs not covered as ours is at the dealer for four items covered under warranty.

Any theories why the cat went bad and what one?

Also for those in the know, say if an engine warranty problem damaged the cat/s downstream, wouldn't warranty need to cover them as well? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The usual shade tree mechanic method would be a high quality 6-point impact grade swivel socket on the manifold flange nuts. And most likely heat. The studs may be Torx but they will be well rusted and heat treated in. A socket like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matco-3-8-drive-6-point-15mm-impact-swivel-socket-New-/171250444332?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item27df52682c&vxp=mtr