Nav Display Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav Display Noise

I mentioned in other threads that I have 4 Coastal Electronics Technologies Lockpicks on my Prius and have had for 3 years. I can tell you from experience that some of how they work is based on delay and certain things happening in a particular sequence for them to work correctly. Sometimes you can trick them by mistake. So my question is, Canuck, do you have any of their (or anyone elses) lockpicks or unblock devices on your Tahoe? Even if you don't, you can still confuse the system by doing certain things and get yourself to thinking you have a problem.

It is just a computer and opening this or shutting down that prior to what it is expecting takes it out of the normal loop that it follows. All the manufacturers try to account for everything we can do to "screw up their stuff", but don't account for everything. Also, every add-on we have (even GM options) causes a small percentage of error that can be found.

Take the example you used of placing the Tahoe in Park and expecting the doors to unlock. I haven't tried any of this but it is a computer and everything boots in a certain sequence, so if I put the vehicle in park without applying the brake, will it respond correctly? Or if I hesitate in reverse before putting into park, can I mess up the logic? The big question is this, can you put it back in drive, then back to park and then get the doors to unlock? It could be an auto unlock circuit issue or a EVT sensor issue or nothing at all. Will it repeat? If it won't repeat, it was a loose gremlin...if it does, you have a problem. There should always be a work around and the ideal would be to never have an issue. But these are electronic vehicles and issues like this will get worse the more electronic they become. The good news is that all you have to do is reboot the system. Turn it off, turn it back on...the problem will correct 99% of the time...I hope, because I too don't know for sure, just know most of these type of issues are sequence issues in the Prius.

I might take this opportunity to say that I am disappointed that GM put a typical mechanical gear shift lever where they could have used fly-by-wire system that was less cumbersome. A power button would have been sweet too. GM is by all apparent purpose trying to make the new tech vehicles look and act just like their older counterparts, even though the systems in many cases are completely different. Sometimes trying to make something appear the same creates more problems, is more expensive, and isn't as functional as just going with the new technology. You have to wonder if marketing cuts off its nose to spite its face!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mel,
What you are taking about is fault logic 10 to the minus 1. This is one reason why aircraft are so expensive. The automotive industry is built on making as many units with as many features as possible for the lowest cost. I know of several tier one and tier two suppliers that have gone bankrupt because they could not produce the component for a few cents cheaper and the OEM went to someone who could. Also six segma is effective in the aviation industry where few units are produced. The automotive industry currently cannot afford this. In Ontario we now have a law that you cannot use a cell phone while driving, tests have been completed that resulted in an increase in accidents. Although add on GPS like Garmin have all features activated while driving the Auto industry OEM's have elected not to follow this route, a liability issue for sure. In fact when you have a new stereo installed with a screen and DVD player the manufacture usually indicates in his installation information that the screen activates when the parking brake is installed.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by txav8r
So my question is, Canuck, do you have any of their (or anyone elses) lockpicks or unblock devices on your Tahoe? Even if you don't, you can still confuse the system by doing certain things
Yes, you nailed it (probably). That was exactly what I thought at the time. I was going to take it out before taking it in for service and to first see if that was the problem. The rear window lockout button is used by the lockpick (by pressing it 4 times to engage the dvd screen) so it's circuitry does go through the door/window controls. Glitches can happen I guess. I am not certain it was the lockpic but I wouldn't bet against it. I have the Coastal Tech version.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Definitely take it out before giving it to the dealer for this. You guys were talking about the letter from GM to the dealer network voiding warranty if the lockpicks are installed. But really, even without the lockpick, this could occur occasionally with so much interface from electronics. Just reboot and go on. But if this becomes an issue, I would be suspect of the lockpick long before I would suspect an actual problem from vehicle systems since the systems weren't designed to interface with the lockpicks.

One more thing...the automakers are wise to superchips and mods of any kind. The system records everything now and if you install a chip, it knows it , the dealer knows it, and then GM knows it...warranty voided. The best thing you can do is to have a very personal and confidential talk with your service tech and service manager regarding the mods you "may or may not have" and know that if you have "electrical" issues, you won't expect GM to warrant them with the mods installed. If you have a good relationship and they know you will make sure it is not the mod causing the problem, they may look the other way regarding the mod and you won't have to take it in and out every time you go to the dealer.

All that said, the lockpicks work great in the Prius but not without issues. For instance, the 07 prius did not come with auto door locks. Lockpick has an auto door lock mod and it is great...but it doesn't always work. Still nice to have. These are great topics for us to discuss and work around. The truck is great but there are things I want it to do, that it can do, with just a little more help. I may need ya'lls suggestions on some of these...sooner rather than later! Thanks.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:43 PM
FLY NAVY!

I made an interesting observation on a trip last week. I was in a different region than my nav was set for and told it to navigate home on the pre-entered address book. the system worked but the CD seemed to be hunting all the time IOW I could hear it. I stopped and and reset the map to the region I was in and it stopped. coincidence????

Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

A new member made a post (Anyone Else Needed A New 6.0L V8) a couple of days ago about his check engine light and having to have the engine/transmission replace. But the second half of the post was about his 12v battery running down frequently. This was a common topic 9 years ago when the Prius was first introduced. Owners learned very quickly to not allow that to happen. It is easy to do in hybrids and Toyota essentially makes everything shut down when you power down the car, except the dome light. And that simple light can still strand owners.

I wonder about all of the NAV system hunting while the truck is unpowered. If you are in and out of the doors cleaning, packing, etc., could that be an issue? It may be normal but I think it might cause a problem. It is certainly an issue if you leave your phone or ipod charging because those 12v acc plugs are still hot in these vehicles but shouldn't be.

jet1, I don't know about being out of region. I still hear the NAV DVD hunting from time to time within region. Navteq is the company that provides the nav data to Garmin and for the NAV unit in the Toyota but I am not certain who provides the POI info to Navteq. The reason I mention it, many Prius owners bash the factory NAV unit saying they prefer the portable units with Garmin getting the most praise when I was active on that site. It is the same stuff but the way the manufacturer designed the interface makes all the difference apparently. Even looking for the same address in both the factory vs a garmin had different results with nav data the same age. Go figure. Our units are made by Denso, the NAV data is provided by Tele Atlas North America, and the POI info is supplied to them by infoUSA. I really know nothing about this unit or its data...just learning. I can tell you this...I hate not having the address book being available to sync to my phone. If it can do this, let me know as I haven't found it yet.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
FLY NAVY!
Default I have a garmin portable

for flying...its an older BW gps 196 works ok for flying and basic nav if you are not, but I'm sure the newer color screen garmins are better. Go drive a BMW with nav and try theirs...it is really good...at least in Europe.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

I rented some sort of mini, mini van/suv in France about 5 years ago. It was a diesel (as much of Europe is) and got almost 50mpg! Of course it was a diesel but was 5 years ago! I thought then that our lack of economy was due to a strong oil lobby in DC. Maybe that comment should be reserved for a political or general forum thread!

Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jet 1 you should give the Garmin 396 or 496 with color display a try. It is amazing the capability they have for a hand held. They have all the approaches as well including XM weather

Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a great app on my iphone called navionics hotmaps. It has almost all the features of a marine chartplotter, gps, track, waypoints, and you can access a poi and dial right from there to order burgers to go from the marina! I am afraid I don't have any time with a 496 although I have a buddy that tried to get me to buy a 1/4 share in a C-172 that they have a 496 in. I came up in general aviation but only flown a small bird twice in the last 20 years in it. You know, that 496 has more capability than the honeywell stuff that is pretty standard throughout the Boeing fleet now. And the only way I can see a live radar shot is to pull up one of the apps on my iphone, and that would be illegal if I am moving...go figure.

Quick Reply: Nav Display Noise

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands