HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

600 Mile-Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: 600 Mile-Club

Originally Posted by 1stpik
BTW, the fuel tank capacity in the gas-only Civic is 13.2 gallons, while the capacity of the hybrid Civic is 12.3 gallons. However, in California (and maybe other states), the hybrid's fuel capacity is only 11 gallons. Here's why:

The Civic hybrid uses a plastic fuel tank that's molded to fit tightly among all the mechanical parts under the car. But CA won't allow this tank because it allegedly emits gas fumes through the plastic, so the state makes Honda install a metal tank. That one doesn't fit as well, and consequently has a lower capacity.

This could explain some HCH II owners' dismal fuel economy calculations. If they're calculating based on 12.3 gallons, but only getting 11 gallons per tank, their mileage would look bad.
The hybrid-specific manual in my 2007 says 13.2, and I've put in 12.5 before. So at least by 2007, Honda figured out a way to use the same tank as the normal Civic. (Looking at the tank, you can see the tortured shape that 1stpik talks about.)

Now, if anyone's trying to calculate MPG based on fuel tank *capacity*, maybe they could siphon some watts from their battery to brighten their own bulbs. Gas in/gas out is the only way to calculate it. The only time capacity matters is when it holds half a gallon less than you thought it did. . . .

--doug

Old 05-26-2007, 11:32 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: 600 Mile-Club

Originally Posted by shawnb
Tiger, impressive. But this leads me to an interesting question: does the Civic have 12.3 gallon tank or 13.2? You got 13... but I read the manual, says 12.3. If I get 13 gallon tank, then I'd adjust my AVG MPG x12 rule to AVG MPG x13.

I have '06 Civic Hybrid.

Thanks,
Shawn
Hi Shawn,

There are many replies to your Post here. I just checked my E-Mail Notices so here is my reply to your Question.

I fill the tank all the way to the (Very-TOP) where 1-more Drop will not go in.

That is where the difference comes in between the Honda Manual and the amount of Gas that can be put in if one wants to take their time to Fill to the (Very-Top).

Note: The pump you use has to go really-really (SLOW) to top off to the Very-Last-Drop.

I'm usually not in that great of a Hurry so I take the time to Fill To the Very-Top.

Hint: If you try this once you will notice that you can drive over a {Hundred-Miles) before the Bars will start to drop on the Fuel Gauge. This I like it is pretty cool to drive that far and the 1st Bar not drop yet.

Have a Nice Day.

Terry (tiger)

Old 05-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks Terry, I never get over 10 gal in the tank! I will try your method

Old 05-26-2007, 04:28 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: 600 Mile-Club

Originally Posted by Harold
Thanks Terry, I never get over 10 gal in the tank! I will try your method
Harold,

I just know you have Heard-This, Try it You'll Like-It:

Terry (tiger)

Old 05-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Add my name to this list. I just hit 601 miles on my last fill up! Finally had enough confidence to let the gas meter go all the way down to two bars. 59.3 MPG. not too bad

Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Even when the gas guage goes to zero bars, you still have more than one gallon left in your tank.

I let my guage go to zero, drove 10 more miles to a gas station, and still could only get 10.8 gal. in the tank. BTW, I filled it until the gas nozzle clicked off, then kept filling for two more clicks. So I'm sure the tank was full.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:02 AM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: 600 Mile-Club

Originally Posted by 1stpik
Even when the gas guage goes to zero bars, you still have more than one gallon left in your tank.

I let my guage go to zero, drove 10 more miles to a gas station, and still could only get 10.8 gal. in the tank. BTW, I filled it until the gas nozzle clicked off, then kept filling for two more clicks. So I'm sure the tank was full.
Hello,

There are many replies to your Post here. I just checked my E-Mail Notices so here is my reply to your comment.

I fill the tank all the way to the (Very-TOP) where 1-more Drop will not go in.

To get your tank (Completely-Full): You have to wait as you did when the Pump cuts off. Then pull the Pump-Nozzle out until you can see the end of it. Very Carefully with just a small amout of pressure on the trigger get gas flowing into Tank. The pump has to be one that will allow the Gas to go in Very-Very-Slowly. This takes some time at this point to get the gas tank (Completely-Full). You can watch the gas go into the Filler Tube of the Gas Tank. The real trick here is to be "Patient". I can tell you that most people are not going to take the time it takes to (Completely-Fill) their gas tank up. It is time consuming. You will know the gas tank is {FULL} when you {CANNOT} get one more "DROP-of-Gas" in the Filler-Tube. One more drop and the gas would go onto the ground.

So the real question to ask yourself is this ? Do I want to take the time and have the Patience to Completely Fill my Gas-Tank. If the answer is (YES). Then you will see that you can drive over a 100-Miles and the 1st Gas-Bar will not have Dropped. So that means you can drive a very-very long ways on 1-Completely Filled-Gas-Tank.

That is where the difference comes in between the Honda Manual and the amount of Gas that can be put in if one wants to take their time to Fill to the (Very-Top).

Note: The pump you use has to go really-really (SLOW) to top off to the Very-Last-Drop.

I'm usually not in that great of a Hurry so I take the time to Fill To the Very-Top.

Hint: If you try this once you will notice that you can drive over a {Hundred-Miles) before the Bars will start to drop on the Fuel Gauge. This I like it is pretty cool to drive that far and the 1st Bar not drop yet.

Have a Nice Day.

Terry (tiger)