HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Any advice for a first time oil changer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Any advice for a first time oil changer?

Kristian, If it is your second oil change then the MM will indicate that the filter is to be changed. I have changed oil on my first change, but in the future I think I will take it to my dealer. The main reason for this is, I think we miss out on any of the up-dates to the PC's. From what I gather, they up-date things when the car is in for service. So you may want to think about this. Cheers, H

Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 AM

I agree Peking, but don't you think it is a waste! Why do it when Honda tells you it is not neccassary. Cheers,H

Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
I agree Peking, but don't you think it is a waste! Why do it when Honda tells you it is not neccassary. Cheers,H
I guess it's old school way of thinking. Change you oil and use a new filter. I just don't like the thought of the original filter going over 15K+ before it's changed. I used 15K+ b/c it was like 8K+ before my OLM read 15%. IMHO, I don't think it's a waste. I got a bunch of PureOne oil filters from Amazon.com a year ago for $2/each. I guess by changing the filter, it makes me sleep better at night.

Peace,
Paul

Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 PM

Paul ,I have about 5000 miles on my car since first oil change without a new filter and the oil looks clean yet. I think I am becoming a believer! I haven't lost any sleep over it as I don't think Honda would allow this without testing. I do use Honda filters and Honda 0-20 oil however.H

Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

If you do decide to change the oil filter at every 20K miles, that is fine. I would advise you to remove the filter at 10K miles and drain out to old oil from it, then replace it back.

The first oil drain will have the highest concentration of solid materials of any oil change that the car will ever have. This is primarily residue from the manufacturing process. If you look at the oil analysis of my HCHII below, notice how high the elements found are in the first oil sample, and how they go down from there. This is why I always change the oil and the filter on the first oil drain, and after that go to the 20K filter change interval.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Yes I agree that the old oil should be drained from the filter. H

Old 03-29-2008, 04:58 PM

So I did the change today. I was down to 10% at 13,513 miles (for change #2). Overall, things went really well. I did get oil all over by not getting the oil catcher back far enough since the fairing was in the way at first. I need to get a valve to replace the plug with.

It's really hard to read how much 0-20W oil you have in there since it drips off the dipstick so fast. I put a tiny bit over 3 quarts in.

The Rhyno Ramps I saw recommended in another thread worked great clearing the underside fairing (just barely), and I would recommend them if you're not using jack stands. I only found one of the clips in place holding up the fairing--the other looked as though it had been sheered off by a parking curb somewhere. On the positive side, I didn't break the one clip that I needed to remove .

I am very stoked to see the benefit of full syn Moble One oil, although with spring coming up, I'm guessing I would see a healthy increase which ever oil I used. I will definitely continue to change my own oil in this car!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

What sort of driving are you doing that cause such frequent oil changes? That change frequency is much too short. In effect you may be just pouring money down the drain.

Despite what the maintenance minder would suggest, each synthetic oil fill is good for 9-10K miles unless you are driving in the desert or as a NYC cab driver.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Orient Express
What sort of driving are you doing that cause such frequent oil changes? That change frequency is much too short. In effect you may be just pouring money down the drain.

Despite what the maintenance minder would suggest, each synthetic oil fill is good for 9-10K miles unless you are driving in the desert or as a NYC cab driver.
I don't know--perhaps it's the long intervals. The car is 18 months old and I've only managed to put 13,500 miles on it. The first oil change was only a few miles after hitting 15%, but we already had a trip to Denver planned (where the car was purchased) and the first oil change was free. The second oil change was about a week after hitting 10% on the maintenance minder.

I fully understand that synthetic will last longer than the semi syn Honda blend, but I will probably continue to change it at ~10% just due to the annoyance of having the wrench come up every time I start up. Also, with the extended warranty, I wouldn't want to take any chances with denial due to lack of service.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 PM

It is a onnoyance for sure! I manage to take it done to 5%. H