HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Auto Stop Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Auto Stop Discussion

So, I've had my car for about 2 weeks. Still on the same tank of gas.
My Auto Stop comes on almost every time I come to a stop sign or traffic light.
First question: With the car gas engine stopping then starting like it does with Auto Stop, will this eventually damage the starter?

Second question: Is there a way to shut this feature completely off? If it is working normally and won't hurt the starter...then disregard question 2.

BTW: With 1 bar above half a tank left...I'm at about 39.5 mpg and still climbing.

HBJ

Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Auto Stop Discussion

1. No. Your crankshaft is started using the same electric motor that provides the torque boost while accelerating, and the battery regen while slowing down. While the HCH2 does have a traditional starter, you'll almost never use it (In the 2.5 years I've had mine, I've had it turn over *once*, and it's a very different sound than the IMA motor start).

2. Sure. Cut the IMA wires :p Seriously, though, what you're seeing is the way it's designed. No need to worry.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast

When approaching stop signs, as I slow down I engage the windshield defogger. This prevents the car from autostopping. You can turn the defogger off when you come to a complete stop. Autostop is not necessary unless you know you will be stopped for ~10 seconds. I try to limit autostop when its not necessary in order to conserve charge.

Last edited by bill717; 08-28-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is there a way to avoid this particular re-start from Auto-Stop:

Pulling into the garage, I press the brake when I am fully inside, and the Auto-stop engages. (I am still in Drive gear)

As soon as I move the shifter to PART, the car re-starts.

It would be nice if it stayed off since I am parking. You would think the Auto stop logic would be smart enough to stay OFF if you move the lever to park, especially when my foot is still on the brake.

(I have a 2006 HCHII)

Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bill717
When approaching stop signs, as I slow down I engage the windshield defogger. This prevents the car from autostopping. You can turn the defogger off when you come to a complete stop. Autostop is not necessary unless you know you will be stopped for ~10 seconds. I try to limit autostop when its not necessary in order to conserve charge.
Or, even easier, you can slide the tranny into S. That's what I do for 4 way stops and stuff like that where I want to stop, but won't be stopped longer than 6 seconds (the magic number I've seen elsewhere).

Old 08-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

The Auto Stop is the coolest part of the car. I would never want to turn it off, although I can see why in certain situations you'd want to avoid it. Thankfully the posters above have solutions for that. I personally don't worry about it, though.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by hunter44102
Is there a way to avoid this particular re-start from Auto-Stop:

Pulling into the garage, I press the brake when I am fully inside, and the Auto-stop engages. (I am still in Drive gear)

As soon as I move the shifter to PART, the car re-starts.

It would be nice if it stayed off since I am parking. You would think the Auto stop logic would be smart enough to stay OFF if you move the lever to park, especially when my foot is still on the brake.

(I have a 2006 HCHII)
This has been discussed often. See https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-newbie-19349/

Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks mmrmnhrm - you just help me save some more fuel