HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Is there a Honda notice "number" or something that I can reference when I go to the dealer?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

msantos,

I am thinking along the same line to address this issue. What I have in mind is a piece of 3M Stoneguard under the spoiler trimmed 1/8" bigger than the spoiler. I have to wait for my paint to cure a little longer before I do that though.

I agree the spoiler is not very strong structurally. The OEM decklid spoiler for other Civic sedans is a lot more robust in construction than ours.

Going to dealer to pickup my car now.

Thank you for all the responses.

Eric.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Is removing the spoiler entirely a viable option? It's not like we're going 200mph and actually need them.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Enjoying my hybrid
Thumbs down Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

I just checked mine in the parking lot and I have it too. I'm not quite sure how this can happen since nothing is in contact with the decklid where the marks are (although it is right next to the spoiler). Does the spoiler spread out or something? (not likely.) It seems to be firmly attached, so I don't think it shifts side-to-side while driving. Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Is removing the spoiler entirely a viable option? It's not like we're going 200mph and actually need them.
Perhaps not for most of us. The spoiler is actually a functional piece of body trim and removing may have a measurable effect on the aerodynamics of the body at speeds above 50km/h (37mph).

Also, the spoiler trim is actually bolted to the trunk lid (4 to 5 bolts - I'll double check later). Removing it would certainly expose the holes - and those would have to be (somehow) patched or plugged.

Cheers

MSantos

Old 10-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by shoebox303
Is there a Honda notice "number" or something that I can reference when I go to the dealer?
Last time I enquired, there was no formal Honda notice addressing this discrepancy.
For now, these issues appear to be handled ad-hoc by the dealerships and on a case by case basis. I suspect that it will become a widespread and escalated issue very soon.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What a spoiler!

Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just went out to check around the spoiler area on the trunk and they didn't tighten it really tight. I can move it around with my hand. But, there are surface scratches where the spoiler moved around and such. So, I will bring to the my dealer's attention next time I bring it in for service. I'll give Honda a call and let them know about it too.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Originally Posted by msantos
Also, the spoiler trim is actually bolted to the trunk lid (4 to 5 bolts - I'll double check later). Removing it would certainly expose the holes - and those would have to be (somehow) patched or plugged.
Bollocks. I was worried they'd do something like that, though if the spoiler hasn't been sealed to the trunk, those holes are vulnerable (and invisible!) anyways.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

Adding in, mine is also showing signs of rubbing along the top inside curve of the spoiler, so I'll try to snap a picture of it later this afternoon, depending on how busy we get at the office. At least to my eye, it looks more like the underlying trunk steel is undergoing thermal flexing to a much larger extent than the plastic spoiler.

Quick Reply: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands