HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:47 PM
F**k ExxonMobil
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

don't just mention it. fax him a copy of the poll, and refer him to this site, so honda can't plead ignorance, so we can get more attention to this matter from higher up, like a tsb or something.

Old 02-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Originally Posted by EricT
Hello all,

After 2 weeks of driving, I have to say this time they fixed it. Just a reminder, they repainted my trunklid the 4th time and they used double-sided tape to affix the spoiler on the trunklid in addition to the bolts.

No more scuffs or marks near the edges. Everything still clean. So I would suggest that the spoiler does move or flex while we drive the car.

To me, this is really good news. I really don't want to paint the trunklid again, it is getting heavy. LOL.

Eric.
Any update on this issue, from anyone? My dealer called yesterday. The district manager looked at it and took pictures about a month ago. The dealer asked if they could have the car for one week. They want to take photos, talk directly to Honda, and see if they can find a solution. Not sure if they know about the tape solution, but I had directed them to GH for more info. I'll print this post out for them in case they didn't find it.

Letting them have the car for a week is not a problem for me, hopefully they didn't just need an extra loaner that they could use for a week.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

About a week ago, I got my car back from my dealer who was "fixing" this problem. They took the car to a body shop who took the spoiler off, buffed the paint, and reattached the spoiler with a double sided sticky foam called "EPT" or "ETP" or something like that. They said it would keep the spoiler from moving, and to call if I had any more problems.

So, I'll keep an eye on it and report back when I am convinced one way or the other.

Anyone else experiencing any progress on this issue?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Just picked up my 06 HCHII and it has the spoiler issue. What I suspect is that the spoiler is made out of some kind of urethane and it is mounted to a steel decklid. The coefficient of thermal expansion for urethane is about 100X that of steel. I'll measure the spoiler's length hot and cold and report back.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is anyone still working on or having trouble with this issue? I've not been on this website for some time, but for a while there was an active group of owners trying to get Honda to fix the issue with the spoiler scratching the trunk lid. Anywho, Honda never came up with a fix and I finally gave up after their several attempts that didn't fix anything and resigned myself to having a scratched trunk lid. That was over 1 year ago.

Yesterday, my Honda dealer called me and said that Honda had issued a service bulleting to ackowledge and fix the problem! It's Honda Service Bulletin 09-003. So, great!

Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Energy Independence

Hey, Jordan

Nice to hear from you again.
I make some efforts in the past, but failed to spark much interst at the dealership. I failed to pursue the matter further (other life matters were more critical...).

But I STILL DO have the issue.
I've noticed it on brand new 2008 models, but not ALL of them. My service manager also owns a 2008 HCH (I think it's the icy-blue color). We've looked at HIS trunk and no problems.
I've eve nnoticed it on some 2009 models, BEFORE they even hit the dealer's lot (their prep-shop/overflow lot is off-site, and I can check out a few cars there from time to time. The one colr that I do NOT notice the issue on are the WHITE ones. Maybe it's just because it's somehow harder to see it, but it really don't think so. (And, yes, I know that makes little logical sense - UNLESS the white paint-job specs call for a thinner total thickness (of paint and clearcoat).

Anyway, I'll be interested in the Service Bulletin. My fear is that they're admitting to the problem now, but won't cover cars that are out of the standard factory warranty. We'll see.

Let us know how it goes with you.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do you have the service bulletin? Or does anyone know where we can get it? There was another longer thread on this issue too, I think. I remember one user made a whole list of everyone who was having the problem and sent a letter into Honda. I wonder what exactly they do to fix it.

Gumby: I have a white HCH, and I am having the problem. Maybe it just takes a little longer on the white ones.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I do have it. Anyone who wants it may send me their email address. I'll get it scanned and emailed in the next day or two. Apparently, Honda is generally not in the practice of given them out or making them available to the public.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Energy Independence

The bulletin mentions the foam being compressed, and replacing it with a new "EPT" foam. I HOPE this is a better (denser or thicker) foam than what they had tried on yours in the past, Jordan...

I am hopeful, but this is a REALLY long time of denying the problem to come up with such a simple "solution." I hope it is, but I still fear the real solution is a better, more structurally rigid spoiler. The ones we have are a very pliable urethane. A denser foam WILL help, but will it be enough?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just logged on here to see if anyone had posted about the TSB yet since I just found out about it. Here's the direct link:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-003.PDF

You shouldn't have any problems with that in hand.

Quick Reply: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands