HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Count me IN as one who has this issue

I have 4K or so miles on the car, and have a spot at each side that is worn to the primer already. This is NOT good.
Since people are having different spots where the abrasion occurs, I think the fix is to use a more rigid plastic/fiberglass to make the spoiler out of. It feels just too soft to me. I had noticed this softness before, but didn't think anything of it. Of course this would involve painting said remolded spolier, then removing existing spoiler and touching up or repainting the trunk-lid, and ideally waiting a period of time (for paint and clearcoat to cure) before mounting the new spoiler.
How could something THIS retarded slip through the cracks at Honda? Spoilers are not a new technology. Maybe this particular material us new, which means it should have gone through extensive testing to determine its flex properties. BIG oversight.

I, too, drive mostly freeway speeds, FWIW.

Old 10-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

I'd rather just take the spoiler off - anyone know how its attached - probably drilled in? I don't like the spoiler IMO

Old 10-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've already inquired with my dealer but his first guess was that its screwed tot the lid, so that means a trip to the sprayshop. I gues i'll wait till it begins to scuff, claim it with honda and if that doesn't work raise hell and then let it get smoothed out by a pro (or by a Hybrid sport bodykit)

Old 10-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Proud owner HCHII
Default Ill-thought-out add-on!

It seems that Honda wanted to create some small but noticeable difference from the standard Civic sedan. So they literally stuck a simple spoiler on the deck lid but their cunning plan is, it seems, coming unstuck!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
06 HCH Opal Blue Pearl

On the survey I said "no issue", but after closer look, I too have an issue. I thought it was just dirt, but its primer showing along the edge of the spoiler.

Bob

Mfg 9-05, 14k miles

Old 10-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hello all,

After 2 weeks of driving, I have to say this time they fixed it. Just a reminder, they repainted my trunklid the 4th time and they used double-sided tape to affix the spoiler on the trunklid in addition to the bolts.

No more scuffs or marks near the edges. Everything still clean. So I would suggest that the spoiler does move or flex while we drive the car.

To me, this is really good news. I really don't want to paint the trunklid again, it is getting heavy. LOL.

Eric.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default UPDATE! Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Today a Honda District Manager overseeing 14 dealerships in the Midwest came to see my car and the paint damage around the spoiler and deck lid. He acknowledged that there was a problem and further acknowledged that painting it would not fix the problem. He said he will forward the issue "up the ladder" to the "tech people" at Honda of America and find out how large of a problem it is and determine the best option for fixing it.

I told him I was aware of many people from around the nation with HCHII's of varying colors and build dates who were experiencing the same issue. He said "Gimme a couple of weeks to figure something out." The service manager at my dealership has promised to keep the issue on the top of his to-do list.

More to come...

Old 11-01-2006, 03:26 PM
F**k ExxonMobil

did you give him a copy of the poll you took here?

Old 11-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

The gentleman mentioned that he hadn't heard about any problem like this occurring anywhere else, so I mentioned that I conducted an informal survey, the results of which showed that nearly 50% of the respondents were facing the same issue. That got his attention.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

i had it on mine too. have an email into service at my local dealer. thanks!!

Quick Reply: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands