HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Yikes. Mine is nothing like what Edwin's got, nor is it in the same place. Taking his pic as a reference, my problem areas are in the area facing the top-left corner.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Thanks for the improved photos. Now I see what you're referring to. I checked mine out last night. I have streaks... but when I took a damp rag to clean off the area, the streaks went away. It was just dirt!

I don't see anything worn down to primer, though it would be hard to spot with my silver paint.

I have a hard time understanding how this happens. This is a static (non moving) part, and it appears there is plenty of clearance between the bottom edge of the air deflector and the deck lid. If our cars had 100,000 miles on them, I'd say that perhaps airflow in that area has worn the paint down... but with as little age/mileage as we have, that's just not possible here.

Another possiblility... I don't seem to have any problems yet (6 months since delivery... exactly! and 11,000 miles), and I've always hand washed my car. Is it possible that some of you with the problem are going to machine car washes... and the big roller brush is pushing the deflector into the deck lid paint? Just a thought.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Pimpin ain't easy!

Anahymbrid,

You're lucky for having a silver car, i would assume it would be harder to detect the problem w/silver . As far as what you said about the spoiler being a non moving part... In actuality it is supposed to be a non moving part, BUT the way Honda attached the spoiler to the trunk, there is room for movement. Try pushing down on your spoiler slightly and you can see slight movement flex. I drive almost 100 miles a day, 98% freeway miles... Because of the hi speeds 70-80mph, because of the slight movement flex of the spoiler, and because the wind pushes down on the spoiler, i can see why the marks are there. I guess as your speed increases the spoiler pushes the rear down and because of the slight movement flex, the spoiler expands rubbing against the car... LOL i hope all that makes sense... But again this is my theory...

For everyone that does have the problem... Are you driving a lot of freeway miles?

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Thanks for the improved photos. Now I see what you're referring to. I checked mine out last night. I have streaks... but when I took a damp rag to clean off the area, the streaks went away. It was just dirt!

I don't see anything worn down to primer, though it would be hard to spot with my silver paint.

I have a hard time understanding how this happens. This is a static (non moving) part, and it appears there is plenty of clearance between the bottom edge of the air deflector and the deck lid. If our cars had 100,000 miles on them, I'd say that perhaps airflow in that area has worn the paint down... but with as little age/mileage as we have, that's just not possible here.

Another possiblility... I don't seem to have any problems yet (6 months since delivery... exactly! and 11,000 miles), and I've always hand washed my car. Is it possible that some of you with the problem are going to machine car washes... and the big roller brush is pushing the deflector into the deck lid paint? Just a thought.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Pimpin ain't easy!

Chris,

Can you take pictures of your problem area?

Originally Posted by mmrmnhrm
Yikes. Mine is nothing like what Edwin's got, nor is it in the same place. Taking his pic as a reference, my problem areas are in the area facing the top-left corner.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:24 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

mine are mostly freeway miles. but rarely do i see the speed of 70. most of it is in the morning and rush hour commute. mine isn't down to the primer, but just surface scratches on the driver and passenger side of the spoiler.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by felixdacat
Shoebox303,

thanks for the reply.... What would suck though is that when the dealer DOES fix the problem... the problem occurs again down the road which is what EricT experienced.

Has anyone opened a complaint case w/Honda of America yet?
My plan is to take it to the dealer and let them recommend a fix. If the problem occurs again or if they can 't/won't fix it, I'll go to Honda of America.

I hear what you're saying and I agree. I don't intend to just have the paint touched up every 6 months for the entire period of my ownership, and I'm sure that my dealer doesn't want to deal with that either. So at that point, it's a bigger problem than one that my dealer can/will deal with.

What happens if this ends up being a design flaw?

I'm going to my dealer tomorrow afternoon. We'll see...

Old 10-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Enthusiast

One day after I got my car back, I drove a total of around 40 miles. The paint is ok, but the double-sided tape is showing a bit. The spoiler definitely has moved. Even with the tape.

I don't recommend having the trunklid painted, because factory paint is a lot stronger than what they can do here at the dealerships. I think that is why some of you have minor damages compared to mine having painted 4 times in a month of ownership!!

The factory paint will withstand more punishment. I don't know exactly what to do to prevent more damages. In the coming months, when moisture gets underneath the paint and starts freezing, that's when it will get interesting.

I hope more of us will call American Honda, otherwise, they will do nothing. Take Sony as an example, they still will not admit they know about the overheating problem of their batteries. Now DELL, IBM, Apple, Toshiba and Fujitsu are all recalling their "Sony" batteries. I hope our batteries are not made by SONY. LOL.

Now I'm just venting. I will come back when I am more useful to the forum.

Eric.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just checked mine, and sure enough, it's there on both sides. Car has 10,000 miles. I'll definitely mention it the next time I'm at the dealer.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

There's the trouble spot on mine. You're looking at the right side, top of the trunk. It's about 2 inches long, same spot on both sides, the right just gave the better picture in today's craptastic weather. At the moment, it's mostly just scuffing of the clearcoat, no primer visible yet. The areas that you guys are having big trouble with are almost untouched on mine, and what is there looks more like rubbed in dirt than missing paint (which is why I've actually taken my full nose mask off entirely... road grit was getting in and sanding down the paint).

Old 10-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

I spoke with the service manager at my dealer today. She is going to contact the district manager and have him come look at my car. She agrees that the problem is larger than a dealer fix, and should progress to Honda of America with the possibility of generating a service bulletin to fix the issue.

I'll know more after I speak with him, which may be a couple of weeks, apparently.

Quick Reply: Calling all HCH-II owners....Please check around your decklid spoiler.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands