HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Think green.
Default Re: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Hal, what does "SHAM" stand for? Usually I'm good at figuring out the acronyms, but that one's got me stumped.

I always thought the 20 mpg upticks when I let off the gas pedal were due to the lean burn mode on my older car. But you guys seem to experience the same thing with your HCH II's. I find that by lifting up a bit off the gas the mpg gauge will jump from 40 mpg to 60, then I can do it again and bump it up to 80. Sometimes I can get another bump to 100, but by then my speed usually starts to slow and I have to give it some gas again. (Party's over.)

I took a long ride on a hilly country secondary road today, and I never found a spot where I was able to regen while heading uphill for so long like I do on the previously-mentioned road. Unfortunately the top of the hill there is the end of the road, so it's a short-lived thrill.

So is the EV mode possible in both generations of HCH? I was under the impression that it occurs only with the newer generation.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That is lean burn! I'll get back to you on what SHAM stands for. Hal

Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM

Sorry all. SAHM [Super Atkinson Highway Mode] You can read about it at cleanmpg.com Click on Honda Civic Hybrid and go to page 5. I was close<grin> Hal

Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Arrow Re: How can recharge occur going uphill w/6 bars?

Originally Posted by Harold
SAHM [Super Atkinson Highway Mode]
Whew – I feel much better about that name. Thanks for the site reference.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

The hybrid technology is one that is supposed to harness the energy from momentum and gravity in order to charge the battery. The battery is then supposed to be able to assist the vehicle to regain momentum and oppose gravity, i.e., accelerating and climbing hills. Our previous vehicle, the 2006 Honda Civic worked flawlessly in this area. There are computers on board that determine how and when the battery is to be charged and discharged along with an indication on the dash to provide feedback when those actions take place. My 2009 does not work as the Hybrid technology was advertised. I asked about this at two separate dealerships, no answer to this abnormality was received. I believe that the failure of three batteries and the performance issues with the battery charging at inappropriate times are connected.

I wish I could get some satisfaction from either Honda or it's dealerships or at least some communication that indicates that they are listening to my concerns and working on a solution. So far it seems they are hoping that I will just go away.