HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

I love 06 HCH== what's wrong with me.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default I love 06 HCH== what's wrong with me.

Aren't ther other really happy owners of this car? Or do those people not bother with forums?

I bought the car last year for 9k with 78K miles on it. I got 40-43 mpg without much effort.

I have never gotten close to advertised MPG on all of the 35 cars I have owned so i figure 40 is really good.

I put 40K miles on the car in 13 months. The IMA light has come on a couple times but it goes out.

I still don't know what a battery racal looks like.

I figure when the bettery gets much worse I'll geta junkyard battery for about $500 and see how it goes. If the junk yard is reputable and the donor has low miles I should be good for another 75K.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I love 06 HCH== what's wrong with me.

I have the same problem you have! H

Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I love 06 HCH== what's wrong with me.

hertfordnc:

I really happy with mine as well and will keep it another 5 years and 3 months.

However, I am dealing with a deteriorating battery but am still under warranty, thus I must go the warranty route first prior to setting up the 350 ml-amp charger route (another thread).

Once I'm off warranty, I'd have no issue spending the $200 to set up the charger, or buying a junkyard battery for $500.

From a pure economical point of view, with my car paid for years ago, $500 wouldn't even cover two payments on a new car of any make (here in Canada). From an environmental/sustainability point of view, I wish to amortize the pollution (all types) that was induced by the production of my vehicle over a ten year period.

As for a re-cal, here is what I wrote in another thread (sorry for the long rant):
Long winded answer (gets me ready to explain things to a judge if required): the car and software was all designed based on the assumption that the large Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) battery has a "given amount of stored/potential energy".

When your new car IMA system initially starts your internal combustion engine (ICE), you do so by 'borrowing' a tiny bit of that "given amount of stored/potential energy".

As you begin to drive your new car, that state of charge (SOC) thermometer has all the white squares showing (i.e. battery SOC is full).

Next, you press on the accelerator to get up to desired speed. You see some white assist bars showing as the IMA motor adds its power to the ICE. You have now 'borrowed' some more of that "given amount of stored/potential energy".

The car software treats the battery pack like a checking account. You continue to accelerate to 62 mph (100 kph). You see alot of white assist bars showing, thus you continue to borrow from that "given amount of stored/potential energy" bank account.

The SOC starts to drop a few squares, not from a direct reading of the battery, but by figuring how long and how many white assist bars did you use in the aforementioned acceleration.

You begin to coast and you see some green re-generation (re-gen) bars. You are slowing down, but you are regenerating i.e. depositing some "given amount of stored/potential energy" back into that bank account.

The software compares all of those first withdrawals you made against that first deposit. Then you accelerate again (withdraw) and slow down (deposit).

Days, weeks, months, years go by. You have assist when you want it. Your SOC meter gradually goes up and down as the car software "dead reckons" every single withdrawal and deposit you make from/into that IMA bank account.

As long as the initial software engineered assumption of the ability for that large IMA battery to bank and HOLD any available deposits holds true, then that "dead reckoning" counting of every single assist and re-gen for the last couple of years holds true and your SOC meter goes up and down 'gradually' on a day to day, drive to drive and minute by minute basis.

Now assume your IMA battery can no longer soak up and hold as much energy as it used to. You keep withdrawing from the bank account and you keep depositing into it. The software thinks all that deposit has been soaked up and its 'dead reckoning' count of your battery SOC is happy as a clam. The problem is, your software THINKS it has more stored energy in its bank account that it really does.

Your SOC meter shows six or seven squares, (its been counting for years) and you must make an emergency acceleration.

You floor it. You see all your white assist bars for about 1/2 a second before they disappear, or you see two or three bars for a second or so before they disappear, or you see no assist bars before they disappear.

Instead of the IMA assisted 123 ft. lbs. of torque you wanted, needed, expected to propel your 1304 kg (2875 lbs) Honda Civic Hybrid.....someone almost rear ends you because all you got was 89 ft. lbs. of un-assisted torque.

Sidebar: (for when Honda says all you need is the hybrid ICE): why does a basic Honda Civic weighing 1227 kg (2705 lbs) come with an ICE that produces 128 ft. lbs. of torque (for a Civic that is 77 kg//170 lbs lighter than the Civic Hybrid)?

A software "IMA battery safety mechanism" just cut you off. This battery safety mechanism is designed such that in any circumstance, when a specified IMA battery low voltage threshold has been reached, to prevent polarity reversal in one, some or many cels, no further withdrawals are allowed until a software "audit" of the bank account takes place.

This is the "recalibration" or "recal".

Your IMA battery "account" is overdrawn. Not your fault. All those green bar re-gen deposits you and your cars software thought were being accepted and stored in the IMA battery "account" were lost due to a deteriorating battery.

So for the next three minutes, your SOC meter shows none, or one, or two white squares and you have no assist while you see a few green re-gen bars as your car now does a 'forced re-gen'. This is the mid phase of a re-cal.

The bank examiners (your cars software) take three minutes to sort the count and force as many deposits (regen) into your account AS IT WILL NOW HOLD.

The deposits stop because the software knows when there is no more uptake. Your weaker than new (or last recal) IMA battery just will not take any more deposits. So now your SOC meter zooms back to read 'full'.

But it is 'full' only because the weaker battery will not uptake any more electricity to store. So the dead reckoning count begins again. You start making withdrawals (ICE start, idle stop/start, assisted accelerations) and deposits (gentle coasting, light/moderate use of the brakes).

The SOC meter keeps count, but it does not know its count started on a bank account at a new lower 'normal full'.

As time goes on, you begin to have more of these re-cals.

Honda uploads a new software package that simply limits how many withdrawals you can make.

Obviously, if your withdrawals are curtailed, that account (even one with a lower 'normal full') will take longer to reach that software "IMA battery safety mechanism" to cut your assist off and bring in the bank examiners and have another re-count (re-cal).

Does this crude example make sense to you?