HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

New 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: New 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner

Well, my baby arrived last night and she is a beauty! Love the color...Magnetic Pearl and the seat combo looks great too!
I had the trunk liner put in and that will help to keep things neat and tidy in the trunk area. Now for all the set-up tips...need to learn how to use the nav system too!

My son had a quick question as all teenagers would, can you play a movie in the DVD and view it on the nav screen? Can you control the menu to select the movie?

Has anyone tried this yet?

HBJ

Old 08-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Enthused Enthusiast

I have the same Mag Pearl 08... great choice.

Sorry, no DVD playback in these units without major hacking :]

Old 08-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast

But it looks like you still need a dvd player...I'm not sure that the dvd drive in the nav system is what they are referring to with this adapter. Have you used this before? Did you use the plug and play option? I didn't notice the price on this device either...?

HBJ

Old 08-20-2008, 04:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erscolo
I keep Trip A for each tank of gas and Trip B for the lifetime average.
Same here. I like to have Trip A distance and the exterior temperature showing while driving. Trip B doesn't offer that display combination.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Neither trip A or trip B will do "Lifetime" mileage--just your mileage for a rolling 10,000 mile period. My gauge is off enough compared with calculating at the pump that I hardly trust if for 600 miles, let alone 10,000....

Last edited by kristian; 08-20-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Added "Neither Trip A or Trip B" vs. just putting Trip A
Old 08-21-2008, 04:49 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J
I had the trunk liner put in and that will help to keep things neat and tidy in the trunk area.

HBJ
Dont put anything in the trunk - including the liner - unneeded weight

Congrats HBJ - its a good fuel efficient car.

Yes demand/supply way high now. Got mine last day of Feb 07 for $20k (no nav) with $2.3k tax rebate still in effect.

33k miles on mine now and they appear to be going for $23k or higher USED at this mileage. Anyone want to buy mine - never over 65mph?

Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 AM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by Hybrid Bob J
I had the trunk liner put in and that will help to keep things neat and tidy in the trunk area.

HBJ
Dont put anything in the trunk - including the liner - unneeded weight

Congrats HBJ - its a good fuel efficient car.

Use A trip for tank average, B for current trip average, GH database for lifetime average.

Yes demand/supply way high now. Got mine last day of Feb 07 for $20k (no nav) with $2.3k tax rebate still in effect.

33k miles on mine now and they appear to be going for $23k or higher USED at this mileage. Anyone want to buy mine - never over 65mph?

Old 08-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Bob,

Twenty months and 75,000 miles in, I would offer the following MPG tips that are not related to driving style and that I have not seen mentioned so far:

1) Inflate the tires close to the maximum PSI listed on the side wall. I think the OEM Dunlops have a max rating of 48 PSI and I would inflate them to about 95% of the max rating or about 45 PSI. I had service done a couple of weeks ago and forgot to tell the dealer to keep the tire inflation as it was. They reduced them to 32 PSI and on my next trip to work my MPG dropped from an average of about 53 MPG this time of year to 49 MPG.

2) Consider adding the block heater or, at the least, covering up the gaps in the grill during the winter. You can find several good threads on the HCH II forum on both topics. I found the block heater added 2-3 MPG in the winter. I'm guessing your NJ winters are similar to those here in coastal RI so you would see a similar benefit.

3) Don't use the AC if you don't need it. If you need it, use the Auto mode and start with the temperature setting higher than you might be used to in a "regular" car. I'm not a big fan of hot weather, but have found that I really don't need the AC all that much on my RI to Boston commute. Also, when I first started driving the HCH, I found the climate control settings somewhat confusing and found that I had the AC on several times when I did not want it on. I now make sure the display says "AC Off".

4) If you want to get really "geeked out" consider getting the ScanGauge. I find some of its display settings, especially the ones showing throttle position and engine load, help me pay attention to how hard I'm hitting the gas pedal. Also, with the dashboard display, you have to chose between displaying MPG and coolant temperature. I like to know the coolant temperature as an early warning that something is wrong and the SG takes that dilemma away. I also use the MPG display on the SG to show when the engine has stopped using fuel and I can really max out the MPG by using the tips in Tarabell's post.

I hope you have a blast with the HCH II.

Old 08-23-2008, 08:30 PM
Great Mileage and Green

Best I can tell from the owner's manual and my own observations is that the MPG in either Trip A or Trip B is not reset at 10,000 miles. The mileage count returns to zero only because five digits to the left of the decimal place are kept on the display.

Quick Reply: New 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid Owner

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands