HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011
View Poll Results: Who purchased a Honda Care extended warranty during or after the sale?
Yes, I purchased a Honda Care extended warranty
56.48%
No
43.52%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Who purchased a Honda Care extended warranty during or after the sale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: POLL: Who purchased a Honda Care extended warranty during or after the sale?

The very friendly dealer finance guy offered 7yr/120k EW for $2600. ZERO interest for me, actually they would have financed it for a mere 7% APR. With friends like that I don't need too many or I will go broke.

Contemplating buying 6yr/120k $0 deductible EW for $785 from either Saccucci or Bernardi Honda

Because we drive 40k miles per year this will only Warranty our vehicle for 3 years so the 7yr & 8yr options are not a good value.

The Honda factory Warranty will last less than a year for our mileage needs:
Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (years/miles) = 3/36,000. (11 months for us)
Powertrain Limited Warranty (years/miles) = 5/60,000. (18 months for us)
IMA battery pack comes with an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty (24 months for us)

Extending all three of these Warranties to 3 years/120,000 may be worth $785.

Will have to decide fast as I will cross the 6000 mile threshold in less than 2 weeks on this one month old 2007 HCH II. At the moment the decision is a coin flipper, maybe 60/40 in favor because the $4,000 NiMH battery pack is a bit scary.

My only hesitation is my previous 4 vehicles made it to 120K without any issues. It was the miles I tried to grind out after 120K that got repair intensive. For the 36,000 miles beyond the 120K mark on 1 vehicle I burned up over $5,000 in repairs before the transmission went south and I sold the car for 28% of KBB with a broken tranny. Before that it was gasoline, synthetic motor oil & filters, transmission fluid, 1 set of spark plugs & wires, multiple brake jobs, multiple sets of tires, 1 timing belt, 1 water pump, etc. The normal wear & tear items that are out of pocket no matter what.

So if I would have bought this kind of warranty on my previous 3 vehicles I would have wasted the Extended Warranty monies. To me it seems that the first 120K of a well maintained vehicle is a cake walk, the next 120K is where the costly repairs start to make one think the vehicle is a money pit! And that assumes one has the intestinal fortitude to grind out any of those post 100K miles. I am now thinking I need to start replacing all of my vehicles sometime between the 100K to 120K mark.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: POLL: Who purchased a Honda Care extended warranty during or after the sale?

Voted NO. But this poll got me thinking, looking and analyzing the value of extended warranty at the lower online prices. I went ahead and purchased a 6 year/120k/$0 deductible for $785.

Many thanks to exbauer for thinking outloud on this one and forcing me to think about the purchase of an extended warranty before my 6,000 mile threshold was up in about a week.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

Just purchased the 5 year, 75 k Honda Care warranty today from Banardi for $540....local dealer wanted 1,200!!!

Old 09-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Yeah. I didn't buy a Honda in order to purchase additional warranty coverage. But it's always fascinated me that the cars with the best reputation for staying on the road -- Honda and Toyota -- are the ones with the worst factory warranty coverage.

I do hope I didn't buy the first kind of Honda that actually *needs* warranty coverage.

--doug

Old 12-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was thinking of waiting until I get close to 6K miles on my '08 HCH. I emailed http://myhondawarranty.com and the fellow answering said the price is going up within this week by $50-75. On the assumption that he's telling me the truth, I'm buying NOW.

I doubt I'll be over 100K at the 96 month mark, but with the 120K, 8 year, 0 deductible offering a bit more security, it's worth paying $940.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast

Is everyone crazy? Hondas don't break. I've owned Hondas for 25 years, and I doubt I've spent $900 in repairs, total, over that time. Of course, listening to the finance guy in the dealership, you would think the cars break every week and you need an EW.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
Nerd

When I declined the EW, the Sales Manager brought in three other colleagues to laugh at me.

I think Homer Simpson summed it up best, "Extended Warranty? How can I lose?" Of course Moe was shoving the crayon back into his brain at the time.

My track record with Honda:
'87 Accord 7 Years, 144k miles
'94 Del Sol 7 years, 145k miles
'06 HCH 1.9 Years, 63k miles

No problems.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast

well, I agree that Hondas are really good cars and normally you would not need the extended warranty. However, saying that, I am going to get one anyways.

For me $900 is worth the price for peace of mind that "IF" anything does go wrong, I will be covered. With new cars, it seems that every repair job starts at $300...so many little chips and computers and what not.

So while Hondas are great cars, I want to protect myself for that "IF" scenario.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

I purchased the extended warranty mainly because I will be driving an average of 21,500 miles a year. The regular warrantly will run out for me in about 2.5 years. I didn't plan on giving up my hybrid yet and wanted to make sure I had plenty of coverage.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

well, you cannot buy honda extended warranties anymore online. they are not letting dealers do that. so, hopefully ones that were interested got it while they could.

Quick Reply: POLL: Who purchased a Honda Care extended warranty during or after the sale?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands