HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

What do you think about the Hybrid's wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: What do you think about the Hybrid's wheels?

But how do you REALLY feel about them, Orient Express!

Really, I'm not too fond of them, but they have grown on me over the past 16 months of ownership. However, when it's time to replace the tires, I'll be looking at wheel/tire combos (takeoffs, probably) from an EX.

Also, that may be quite a good while from now. I've got over 21K miles, and the tires look like they've got another 20K miles to go, easy.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Gary, what size of tire did you go to to get your speed on? I find the dunlap tires produce way too much noise, so I am going to install new rubber come spring. Thanks, H

Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I like the light aluminium wheels, though I agree that the five-spoke ones look even better. Still, the "pie plates" have a polish and shine to them that catches your attention at night unlike anything else.

In Canada, the DX-G (the base model Civic, plus A/C) trim for 2008 now includes these light aluminium wheels. Get used to seeing them on regular Civic coupes and sedans!

Mercedes-Benz soft pads provide some of the greatest (non-racing) controlled braking power you can get, but you have to put up with so much of that corrosive, polluting dust. It's sad to see a nice set of wheels looking soiled and caked around the edges. The Hybrid's factory wheel design has nothing to do with the relative quantity of brake dust. It's the pads.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Don't forget that it's not just the pad design, but the fact that the Hybrid's brakes are working so much less hard due to regen braking. We hear a lot of reports on this board about amazing pad/brake life.

cheers --
doug

Old 11-03-2007, 05:22 AM
HypoFueler
Default Re: The HCHII wheels suck!

Originally Posted by Orient Express
Not only do they look horrible, they are mated with some of the worst tires known to man. They have the wrong outside diameter and cause a significant speedometer error, they have terrible tread life, and traction. They do nothing to enhance fuel economy.

I can't see how anyone could be happy with the pie pans. Once you try 5 spokes, you will never want pie again!
Hmm my 07 HCH2 speedo is within 1mph of my Garmin GPS - at 60mph that seems close enough.

I agree the spokes look cooler, though the pie tins are unique and stay clean.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by Harold
Gary, what size of tire did you go to to get your speed on? I find the dunlap tires produce way too much noise, so I am going to install new rubber come spring. Thanks, H
Here is a link comparing the stock HCHII Dunlop 15" tire to the 16" HC-EX Bridgestone. I changed the tires and rims out at 200 miles, and am glad I did. Even at 40 psi, they are still quiet and have great traction.

Click here for Tire specifications

As far as Speedometer error, While it is difficult to calibrate the indicated speed with another device at less than 1 mph using the dashboard display alone, it is possible to use the navigation systems "hidden" menus to deduct the indicated speed on the dashboard within 1/10ths of a mph. With the 16" Bridgestone tires, the cars indicated speed is within 1/10th of a mph to my Garmin. For all practical purposes, the indicated speed has a 0 mph variance with 16" HC EX tires and rims.

Last edited by Orient Express; 11-03-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Thanks, Gary. H

Old 11-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

That's good to know. Hopefully, I can find used 16" EX wheels when I am ready to change the tires. Although there maybe a market for used pie pans!!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:54 PM

At first i didnt like them, but now i kinda do. I love how clean they stay.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:15 PM
IMAddicted to IMA

"In Canada, the DX-G (the base model Civic, plus A/C) trim for 2008 now includes these light aluminium wheels. Get used to seeing them on regular Civic coupes and sedans!"

Maybe the coupe I saw withthe hybrid wheels was from Canada?

Quick Reply: What do you think about the Hybrid's wheels?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands