No More Accord Hybrid !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The Cylinder Deactivation Part Was a Good Idea

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
In the past, there were discussions of new Civics and Insights that could go from four to two cylinders with cylinder deactivation. I'm left under the impression that for this to work well, the engine has to be pretty large so the remaining cylinders can be adaquate for cruising.
One of the problems is that in, say a V6 that is running as an I3, the engine must still overcome the added drag of the deactivated cylinders. Sealing the valves cuts the braking effect by something like 60-65% in the off cylinders, but that's still considerable extra drag. The Accord Hybrid from what I understand could theoretically use the assist to "widen" the window for I3 mode, allowing it to shoulder somewhat more load before switching back to V6, but from what I've heard the assist only did that very minimally. Some sort of manual IMA control on the Accord would probably go a long way in preserving I3 mode.

Variable cylinder makes the most sense on SUVs and Pickups that require the option of towing, or hauling heavy loads: situations where more continuous power is needed, as opposed to "bursts" of hybrid assist. For example, the V8/V4 variable cylinder setup on some of the upcoming Chevy SUVs makes good sense.
A better way to get zippy acceleration out of an Accord, which presumably won't be towing anything, would be to upsize the electric motors while running an engine that can handle average load efficiently (something like a 1.8L I4). Of course, that would have required significantly more engineering than just borrowing the engine from the Odyssey and the motor from the Civic.

I actually think the Accord Hybrid motor would make the most sense in the Honda Ridgeline of anything -- it would have the necessary continuous horsepower for occasional off road use, but could cruise on 3 cylinders, using the battery to expand the 3 cylinder "window." They'd need to sacrifice some of the "in-bed trunk" space for the battery, but it would work. Honda could also market it as the first true hybrid pickup truck.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: No More Accord Hybrid !!!!

I don't think the HAH is dead yet. Gas prices has stabilized downwards in the past 4 months or so...and now it is starting to climb right back up again. Maybe sales will pickup during the summer driving season and Honda will continue producing it.

Another thought is maybe the new styling is driving people away from the Accord. I was shocked when I heard a lot of people in my neck of the woods complaining about the new body style. I personally liked it but oh well...

Old 04-16-2006, 12:22 AM

I think the biggest problem with the Accord Hybrid was that it wasn't actually very fuel-efficient. It sounds like the only way people on this board can average 30+ mpg with it is to totally ignore its 255 HP and baby it around everywhere, using extreme hypermiling techniques. If it's actually driven the way it was intended, taking advantage of the 255 HP and faster acceleration, it would get mileage in the low 20's. And most people expect better of hybrids than that.

Plus, of course, it's $30k.

I do think the Lexus GS 450h will be more successful, but I don't know about the LS 600h.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda may cut production of Accord hybrids

What, exactly, is the draft assist? Sounds like something I'd have access to on my commute, but I'd like details. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

I think the biggest problem with the Accord Hybrid was that it wasn't actually very fuel-efficient........ And most people expect better of hybrids than that.
I think that this is basically true, but it also misses the benefit of the reduced emmissions that the Accord Hybrid offers. We had an '87 VW Jetta that could get ~39mpg on the highway, so the Accord Hybrid is on par with this in a much more powerful and better equipped car.

"The general public doesn't grasp there is such a thing as a performance hybrid," Nerad said.
This is a shame, because this is exactly what the Accord Hybrid is. Maybe ahead of its time? I think that if Honda would also rebadge this model and sell it as an Acura too for a similar price they would sell more of them, especially in bigger cities like Phoenix where people want something that's a little more status than the hoardes of Accords running around. And maybe more advertising? My wife has yet to see the Honda commercial where the driver gets hugged by the tree on the way into work, which if they would also extoll the performance virtues of this car along with the environmental benefits I feel they could certainly sell more of them.

I think it might also help if Honda has some green and chrome HYBRID badges on the sides of the hood and on the trunk rather than just the one discreet HYBRID badge on the trunk that it has now. We just paid a premium for an environmentally friendly car and a little more recognition wouldn't hurt anything. And by the way, ours only cost us $25.5K (without navigation) after the federal and state tax credits.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:47 AM

I think the marketing of hybrids as 'green' vehicles is a big reason why cars like the Accord Hybrid don't sell. The cars are portrayed as having the primary purpose of being economical and friendly to the environment, which is not at all the purpose of the Accord Hybrid -- it's designed to be the fastest Accord without sacrificing fuel economy, and while being cleaner-burning than the regular ones. The Civic Hybrid is the opposite -- designed to have good fuel economy at the expense of speed.

Old 04-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
...rather than just the one discreet HYBRID badge on the trunk that it has now.
I actually prefer it that way. The only thing I'd change is to make it slightly bigger. Maybe the same size as the Accord badge.

Same with the HCH, HiHy, and FEH. Looks just like a regular vehile. Blends right in. The hybrid badges are discreet.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:19 PM

Do Toyotas even have hybrid badges? I think the only badge is the HSD one that nobody will understand unless they already know what it means.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yeah, that's the hybrid badge I was referring to.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Early 2006 HiHys just had the HSD badge under the "Highlander" badge on the tailgate, but then later '06's have a "Hybrid" badge on the right and left front fenders, near where our "Limited" badge is right now. '06 Prii also have the "Hybrid" badge on the r/l front fenders as well.

Rick

Last edited by ender21; 04-19-2006 at 01:11 PM. Reason: kept forgetting "ge" after "bad" when spelling "badge"

Quick Reply: No More Accord Hybrid !!!!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands