Driving Camera/Surveillance System

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Driving Camera/Surveillance System

Greetings,

I know some of you have read an earlier post of mine where I had a driving camera in my truck (which I traded for my '06 Hybrid) and how it has bailed me out of some nasty situations. The camera I used in the truck and recording system was very primitive. I began using it 5 years ago when prices for specialty equipment was not reasonable.

This time, I have been doing my homework for a while looking for the perfect camera/recorder option. Here is a list of information and resources (for those who are interested) on what I think are the best candidates.

Swann Communications:
Swann Communications (http://www.swann.com.au/) offers lots of video surveillance equipment. The DIY (do-it-yourself) line is where we're concerned. They offer a variety of cameras (color, high-resolution, infrared enhanced for night vision) at, what I consider, reasonable prices. Their power consumption is 12V ~300 mA each camera. Some cameras are small, some are larger. For in-car recording, I prefer my cameras to be inconspicuous so a road-rager/liar, maniac doesn't decide to remove the cameras (I've read of this happening).

There are some drawbacks to their cameras... the primary being that the camears are not designed for in-car recording so provide no vibration correction

What is most compelling is that they offer a 4-channel video recorder to an internal hard disk (200GB I think) to record about 1,600 hours. It draws 12V 200 mA . Two cameras and the DVR combined draw less than a single amp on the car. I'm not electrical expert, but researching to figure whether that would be an issue or not, seems that it is not a problem as the car stereo draws much more than that.

Using the radioshack (or similar (http://www.radioshack.com/sm-3-outle...i-2062269.html) 3 outlet power splitter/adapter, it would be no problem to hook these devices to the car without the need for professional installation.

I've seen most of their equipment in places like Fry's Electronics and Microcenter. The tyipcal camera runs $79.99 each. The 4-channel recorder runs $499 suggested but I've seen some online places offer $299 (haven't checked Ebay).

Q-See
Q-See (http://www.q-see.com/) makes cameras and digital video recorders, also. They have less options than Swann but what cameras they do have easily could fullfill needs. High resolution, night-vision, color/ bw... same prices roughly, same power consumption as Swann offerings, no vibration correction as they are not designed for in-car recording. They do offer a 4/8 channel digital recorder (the one I'm thinking of isn't listed on their website but is carried at Fry's and Microcenter) for a price of $549.
Bulletcams/helmet cams
Chasecams (www.chasecam.com)
Bulletcams (www.bulletcam.com)
Helmetcams (www.helmetcameras.com)
(www.hoyttech.com)

These places offer cameras that are designed for racing/motosports/hunting/tactical/etc. The offer in-camera vibration correction color/ bw, low/high resolution, but not nightvision that I can see.

Chasecams does offer a digital video record but only a single channel and hefty price (compared to the other mutichannel products listed above).

They are small, compact, and not easily detectable by other drivers.
On-Board Systems
OBS (http://obsusa.com/index.html) seems to have the absolute best consumer grade package designed specifically for automobiles.

First things first, price: $1,499 installed (give or take $200 depending on specific accessories and configuration).

They offer 4 b/w hidden cameras (smaller than a quarter). They can record in/out of car, record when car is on/off, occupied/unoccupied, activate recording based on any factor imaginable to record a parking lot hit and run, broken window, vehicle movement (tow truck), etc. I'd prefer color cameras (which they offer, and even offer night-cameras) but I have to figure out their price as such things aren't listed.

This is the system I am looking to have installed into my Civic Hybrid. It is possible to have a remote video monitor attached (Swann and Q-see offer these) so you can view any camera feed from wherever you are. Some companies can attach a GPS to it so you can Internet track where the car is in real-time (almost better than lo-jack since Lo-jack isn't available everywhere).
Thanks for reading this. Most people, I realize, don't care. But I've encountered enough people that would be interested in this information and since I have been spending the past few weeks taking a hard look at this, I figuer I'd pass the info on to others and save them the hassle.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Driving Camera/Surveillance System

For those of us who didn't see your older post, what would be the pupose of installing cameras and recorders in your car? What "nasty situations" did it solve for you?

Old 07-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Like I said, most people don't care or think about it, but when there's an accident and your clearly not at fault (road rage -- someone else) and its your word against his, then you'll wish you had a camera. It has proven my non-guilt many times. After being spared from a hit-and-run incident that I didn't know happened, the camera is the only thing that kept from going to jail a few weeks/months back. Now, I will not own a car without a camera recording.

Here's the original message.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...&postcount=438

Having a camera came in handy-dandy today. Hope y'all don't mind an off-topic post, didn't feel like starting a new thread since it was previously discussed in this one.

Got a phone call today from the CHP today asking me to come and make a report regarding an alleged incident where I supposedly ran someone off the freeway and into a post on off the side of the shoulder. I stated I had no recollection of such a thing (I didn't know what happened until later in the day). They wanted me to come in anyway.

So I arrived and made my report, that at the approximate time of the incident I was at some approximate location (which was actually 1,000 feet from the incident location of a 26 mile drive (not bad estimation but not good for me, either). I was breifly interrogated and asked about the incident again and they pressed hard about falsifying a police report being a felony (but they did allow me 3 potty breaks and even offered me coffee (which I don't drink).

Anyway, I finally told them that I keep a running camera in my vehicle at all times and we should review it to see if a) was it functional at the time and b) does it help to clarify the situation.

We reviewed the tape (I have since adjusted it with a mirror to capture front and back of me). The tape showed a very interesting story. One that I wasn't even aware of until I saw the video: for the distance of about a few thousand feet before the accident, a vehicle comes racing through people at twice the speed of traffic (which was approx 23 MPH according to my video feed) and even passing on the shoulder lane. There comes an entrance/exit lane for some distance that people use as a passing lane, myself included, on the video. I blinked right for 8.9 seconds until, what in the video showed, a safe place to merge. So I did.

During the merge this vehicle comes zipping into the lane like there's no tommorrow, probly not expecting me to be making the merge but we would have, it appears, broadsided but he decided not to slow down (or honk, there was no honking in the recording) but instead to pull to the shoulder lane and speed up and attempt to cut-me-off. At some point I should have seen him but the video partially records me looking towords a different direction because of something else that happened.

He couldn't get in front of me because I'm way too close to the truck in front of me so he pulls completely into the shoulder and then, in the video, it shows his car smashed into a cunstruction generator/sign in the shoulder lane and I keep on driving (I currently don't record the sides or my blind spots but I'll look into it in the future).

Some other person called me in saying I ran this guy off the road and fled the scene of the accident but the person in the car that crashed had a similar story but added that I proked him and so on. Anyway, I ammended my report to include the video and that I was not previously aware of the incident before having seen the video and they asked me about the time stamp, whether I put it on before or after the incident. My recorder records with the time stamp. They placed a blank cassette tape in the recorder and had me record for 30 seconds and then matched the time stamp with their clocks and confirmed that I was 3.1 seconds ahead of them. I offered the original cassette tapes as evidence.

I then spoke with another officer who informed me that I most likely won't be held responsible, as there is nothing to indicate fault or aggrevation in the incident (they actually watched 18 minutes previous to establish my driving habbits and noted that I was in one lane the entire time, allowed people to pass/merge when blinking and so on.

Before I left, there was some talk that he will be charged with falsyfying a police report and that his insurance company will be informed (since he since reported a claim with the same story) and they will have the option to charge him with fraudulantly filing an insurance claim with intent to defraud (or something like that, not sure the exact words).

In any case, it never hurts to have a camera. When I get my setup in the Honda Civic Hybrid, I'll post details on the equipment, procedures, and installation, and price.
Thanks,
Shawn

Old 07-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hmmm... it seems a little paranoid, but apparently you've witnessed more than your share of trouble so who can blame you. If I had your luck I might get a recorder too.

I have been, and have had friendshave been, completely screwed by speed traps and other a-hole cop activities, so that would be the most useful part for me. In traffic court, at least around here, you have no chance against a cop. Your word against the cop's and you always lose. Having your speed and the traffic stop recorded might be helpful in that case. Insurance is too expensive to be getting stuck with bogus traffic violations.

Old 07-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

That incident seemed like a deliberate act and insurance scam as the cop stated. The camera saved your ***. Hey if you think you need this kind of surveillance full time then go for it.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SrfCity
That incident seemed like a deliberate act and insurance scam as the cop stated. The camera saved your ***. Hey if you think you need this kind of surveillance full time then go for it.
Over the last 6 years or so I've seen and been a part of some intereting things. Having the camera previously has helped establish fault in the other person in a few instances where I would otherwise most likely have been found to be at fault. I would say, no californian should be without.

Actually, even when I drive with friends or family they miss so much that happens around them. They always wonder why I have so many stories. Anyway, I'll point things out while they are driving and most of time they weren't even paying attention to the people tailgating or cutting them off or more importantly, getting ready to zip past them at twice the speed while weaving. Maybe its just a fact of me being "hyper-alert" while driving that I notice things.

Anyway, I wouldn't be without a camera if I can avoid doing so.

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 07-22-2006, 10:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
I have been, and have had friendshave been, completely screwed by speed traps and other a-hole cop activities, so that would be the most useful part for me. In traffic court, at least around here, you have no chance against a cop. Your word against the cop's and you always lose. Having your speed and the traffic stop recorded might be helpful in that case. Insurance is too expensive to be getting stuck with bogus traffic violations.
Agreed. Around here, cameras are everywhere. I actually prefer to stop for all yellows rather than run through them, even if the person behind me hits me. With a camera, I'm less paranoid and more willing to just go if it hasn't been yellow too long and I think I can safely stop. There's a lot of people that do that but even on camera'd intersections, you'll still see 3 or for cars pass the crosswalk on a red.

I've had friends get tickets that they can't dispute from a camera. Most yellows are reasonable. But I've seen some green for about 1 second and then flip yellow to red quicker than any human can react to and on places where cameras are. A camera of your own would be helpful in those situations.

On another note, I've been on roads where I'll be doing the speed limit (35 MPH) but some guy in the next lane will be going faster. As we near the sign that says "your speed is:" it'll read out "x MPH" but I'm clearly doing 35 then he passes and it says my speed correctly. None of those have resulted in a ticket in the mail but I often wonder if there was a camera, would it have?

Thanks,
Shawn