First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Oil Change

hello bill and all,

this is my first post as i've just found this forum and hope to add some information and insight from the honda factory side. my wife and i have owned our '03 civic hybrid(hch?) since new and have completely enjoyed it.

bill, a few suggestions for your oil change service.

first, remove the engine oil cap between your action items 2 & 3 to allow smoother oil to flow out as well as more complete drainage. you won't ever remove 100% of used oil from an engine but from your 1/2 hour drain time you'll be very close.

second, pour as much new oil into the new filter as possible without spilling while installing into the adaptor. about 0.25 quarts should be adequate. the idea of this is to allow faster oil pressure build up after draining engine of oil. sort of "priming the pump" before actual use. things like this will go a long way over time. your engine will pay you back kindly for doing this.

third, although a very good practive for leakage prevention replacing the washer every time is not mandatory. i personally have reused the drain washer up to three times but each time tightening the drain bolt a little more to ensure the seal. no, washer's are not expensive but they are not always readily available. but, for me, driving a hybrid is about not wasting resources - fuel, money, even drain plug washers.

fourth, the '03 civic hybrid owner's manual calls for 3.4 quarts of high grade oil. i personally use mobil 1 synthetic 0w-20 exclusively. and when i change the oil i pour out 3.5 quarts as it's easier to pour 3.5 vs 3.4 quarts. plus, i change the oil at 10,000 mile intervals so i'll undoubtedly consume some from normal use.

fifth, high quality oil is a must at the correct viscosity which is 0w-20. at my first oil change at 2,000 miles i put in 5w-20 weight as 0w-20 was impossible to find outside of the dealer(even as a honda associate i still could not buy factory oil from our employee store. i too had to visit the dealers for 0w-20 honda oil). anyways, during that time of 5w-20 use my mileage did drop several points across the board. if i remember right it was around7 mpg. big difference! i recommend the mobil 1 spec but at 3.99 to 5.99 a quart it can be pricey. with price a factor i would go with either mobil's clean 5,000 or 7,500. if you compare the oil grade api rating on the back you will find the clean 5k & 7.5k equivalent to most synthetics. and at 1.49 to 2.29 a quart it's very hard to turn your back on. compare for yourself next time you head out to the local parts stores.

lastly, it was mentioned earlier to be responsible with waste oil. DO NOT DUMP IT INTO THE STREET OR BOTTLE IT UP AND ONLY TO TOSS IT INTO THE TRASH. here in southern california we have programs where many local parts stores, jiffy lubes, and the like will take your waste oil. but i want to bring up about the filter now. what do you do with the oil one? does that get thrown into the trash? i hope not. the filter is so incredible about retaining oil. they are metalic sponges, really. i realize this is not an option for everyone but i dispose them with a local dealer. i have some special privledges with that sort of thing. possibly those collecting waste oil will accept the used filters ... i haven't explored that, sorry.

i hope i haven'te stepped on anyone's foot.

thanks for a great place to share some thoughts.

hd

Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texashchman
actually have used the washer twice and no leaks but am not going to push my luck and have to get one for my next change.kevin
I have 177K miles on my truck. Oil changes pretty much at every 5K. Sometimes with fewer miles, due to age. I think I'm on my third washer. Either I've been lucky, or changing the washer at every oil change is just "extra" security. Either way, at 20 cents each, it's well worth changing out every time. Buy them in bulk the next time you're at your dealership!

Old 12-20-2005, 05:20 AM

The filter should have a few holes punched into the top with a nail- one in the center, one off center- to allow the chambers to drain out the bottom into your waste pan. After an hour or so, wrap it in a bag and most places that take waste oil will also take the filters. I've had a few places try to charge me for the filters- "hazmat charge." I simply walked away and found another shop that didn't charge.

Almost every auto shop will take oil.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:31 AM
Owner

Has anyone taken their HCH to a typical oil change shop? Or does the dealership have to do it? Also, has anyone taken their own oil to an oil change shop? Is this even allowed? How many quarts should I buy?

Sorry for all the dumb questions.

I'd like to get my oil change ASAP with the Pennzoil Platinum for Hybrids 0W20! I just need to get the car first.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by moosh
I'd like to get my oil change ASAP with the Pennzoil Platinum for Hybrids 0W20! I just need to get the car first.
Technically it's just called Pennzoil Platinum 0W20; the website someone linked to added the "for hybrids" bit.

Originally Posted by hondadave
at my first oil change at 2,000 miles i put in 5w-20 weight as 0w-20 was impossible to find outside of the dealer

So you deliberately avoided Honda's 0W20? Do you consider it low-quality? And I'd heard 5W20 is equivalent to 0W20 when the engine's warmed up. Is that wrong?

Old 12-20-2005, 09:35 AM

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks David, great post.
I try to be as EF with the used oil as possible - the school I teach at collects oil to be recycled. I just bring in the 20 litre pail when it gets full. When I got the car I purchased a case of 5W20 Mobile Clean 5000 from the local hardware - read big sale. I will use it until it runs out. I may get 0W20 after that depending on the price. Does anyone know who makes the Honda oil? I have heard Shell, but am not sure.
Bill

Old 12-20-2005, 01:42 PM

For those using 5W20, you must live in area where the weather isn't that cold? Otherwise I don't understand why go with the 2nd choice?

Old 12-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bar10dah
If those are the same connectors that I'm thinking of, they're the same type that are used on Honda motorcycles. You can get replacements at Lowes or Home Depot in their nuts and bolts section. I think they're cheaper there, too.
I just went to Pep Boys, here in So. Cal., and found some plastic push rivets that fit perfect. They are much easier to get out then the OEM plactic connector "duehickys". They are under the brand name of Rivet-Tite. Cost me a buck fifty for two. I'm using these from now on.

Howard

Old 12-20-2005, 03:23 PM

I found Amsoil XL 5W20; they state its viscosity is 45.4 / 8.5. So just slightly worse than Mobil1 0W20.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands