HCH Life Expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH Life Expectancy

Well if you want to good information... you should look at the insight as your guide. The insight has been in service for a lot longer and has pretty much the same system. I haven't heard of any major problem with the insight, so it's a pretty safe bet the HCH will do just as well.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cool, thanks Tom. I'll check the a-piller. Although, when it starts rattling I can put some pressure on the dashboard right below the airbag and it stops. But, I think I'll take that a-piller cap off and route around in there anyway.

Howard

Old 09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Well if you want to good information... you should look at the insight as your guide. The insight has been in service for a lot longer and has pretty much the same system. I haven't heard of any major problem with the insight, so it's a pretty safe bet the HCH will do just as well.
Ive checked into the insight and have found some battery pack problems. I would expect these to be traced back to really pushing the batterys hard. Im sure other insight owners could chime in on this. With the 06 having some improvments made in the pack and the basic control system, one can only hope these limited problems have been put to rest.

I for one really wish Honda had taken the Insight to the next level in a alum. Civic Coupe and brought the hybrid system to surpass Toyotas system.

At the price point the 06 HCH is at with a CVT and no rear disk brakes,,,, truthfuly Im warey of it being able to lay down 150k or 200k miles of service with out a major failure in the CVT. I mite gamble abit on the hybrid package but the CVT?? I just dont know.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 PM

Well... throw my mileage into the picture. 65K miles and no problems.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:04 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hweldon
Hey, I got that rattle in my dash also! It's over by the AC vent on the passanger side. How did they fix it? It's been driving me nuts for for a while now.

Howard
That's a fairly common thing - that's what was happening to mine. I recall the problem is in the pillar, but the sound comes out the vent. I too could push on the dash and make it stop. I just took it in under warranty and they fixed it. I wish I could remember exactly what and how - was almost 2 years ago. There is something loose in there that's a common problem (at least with the 03 Civics). Definitely have them check next time you're in the dealership. It was a warranty fix, so get in while it's good.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:49 AM
Enthusiast

About the rattle - I mentioned it to my dealer on my last oil change and even had the bulletin number. They said they would have to drive the car and experience the problem before fixing it. I guess they don't trust their customers. I was in a hurry and knew the car only exhibited the behavior under certain conditions so I told them to forget about it. Frustrating.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Too bad you aren't in chicago. I'd fix it for you. It takes 2 minutes or so.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:06 PM

How hard is it to remove the a-pillar cover? Any special tool required?

Old 09-21-2005, 02:33 PM

nope. basicly you just pull the b pillar about 1/2 way up (I believe it covers another pice of trim) Then you can pull the weather striping toward the front of the car until you are past the a pillar. This will reveal a gap where you can get your fingers in to pull the apillar. There is two or three plastic clips. that hold it to the car and the bottom of it just slides into the dash. So pull it out and kind of pull it up a little. Thats how you remove it. I should take pictures and make a how to. Maybe I will do that when I get home.

Edit: Well, I was to lazy. I guess theres always tomorow.

Last edited by tbaleno; 09-21-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:48 PM

Ok, thanks, that rattle has been driving me crazy.