Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Headlight Question

Again, there is a reason why they are brighter, they burn out sooner.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

The aren't actually brighter - they are a 'whiter' light.
Silverstars are the same wattage as the standard halogen bulbs.

I hope I'm not coming across as too A-R - but unlike the 'fake HID' headlights that can be purchased on eBay, etc that are actually just a higher wattage bulb with a blue tint applied to the glass - Silverstars are a completely street legal headlight replacement made by a reputable company - Sylvania.

Honestly, I don't know exactly what it is that causes the shortened lifespan, but higher wattage isn't the culprit. I would suspect that the filament in the bulb is more fragile than 'standard' halogen bulbs.

BTW...I totally agree with your earlier post on aftermarket HID conversions - they should never be done without replacing the entire headlight surround. I'd go a step further and suggest they only be done by a qualified technician that understands the need to properly align the headlights. Don't most HID housings also have a 'visor' to prevent them from pointing too high?

Old 12-30-2005, 08:52 AM
World's First Hybrid

Hi Jim,
I believe that some of the high end cars that come stock with HID's have a mechanical or electronic leveling device that keeps the light pattern constant on the roadway and prevents the "flashing" effect seen on some cars when going over bumps in the road. The HID reflector assemblies create a sharp cut-off over a certain height above the road to reduce glare to oncoming traffic.

I just put 2 silverstars in my 05 HCH this morning and will see how they do life-wise and illumination-wise tonight. I did notice that on some of the comparisons between std halogens and silverstars, the silverstars show a shorter lifespan. To get a brighter light, they may use a slightly different alloy for the filament which allows it to burn at a higher temp/color vs std halogens that give off a more yellow lower color temp light. Maybe this causes the shorter life. And the blue tint on the glass helps filter some of the yellows as well. ???

Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 AM

Yeup, my Mini has self leveling HIDs and when I'm behind somebody they don't "blind" them... as opposed to my S2000, those lights I dubbed the FU lights. Everybody, and I mean everybody would just pull over because they would get so frustrated with me behind them. The S2K sold in the US, does not come with self leveling lights.

As for the "brighter" non-hid halogen lights. The way they achieve the brightness is the filament is comprimised, there is more of it, more loops per given length of filament. The net effect is, you get more candle output but at the cost of a shorter life. So yes they are "better" but at a price. The whiter the light, the more stuff will reflect back to you. That's why HID work well in the rain, there is just more things that will reflect back... while halogen lights tend to bounce off the surface and not reflect back (in the rain).

Old 12-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Yeup, my Mini has self leveling HIDs and when I'm behind somebody they don't "blind" them... as opposed to my S2000, those lights I dubbed the FU lights. Everybody, and I mean everybody would just pull over because they would get so frustrated with me behind them. The S2K sold in the US, does not come with self leveling lights.

As for the "brighter" non-hid halogen lights. The way they achieve the brightness is the filament is comprimised, there is more of it, more loops per given length of filament. The net effect is, you get more candle output but at the cost of a shorter life. So yes they are "better" but at a price. The whiter the light, the more stuff will reflect back to you. That's why HID work well in the rain, there is just more things that will reflect back... while halogen lights tend to bounce off the surface and not reflect back (in the rain).
Heh...your comment about more reflection reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons. Marge installs fog lights on her 'Canyonaro" SUV. When she turns them on, the light penetrates the walls of the house, showing Bart and Lisa in the kitchen.
<homer> mmmmm....S2000..... </homer>
That car is still on my 'wish list'. Maybe after I finish restoring my Triumph Spitfire.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:01 AM

Yeah, I sold it though... to my brother. Nice car and definetly a must buy.

Anyway there some good info on this site:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

Some of it is ok but maybe a little outdated now.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:16 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Headlight Question

Hi Everyone; I think I will have to say for $37.63 for a pair of these Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs for Lower Beams is a Very-Inexpensive amount of money to invest in your (Personal-and-Familys) Safety. So what if you have to replace them alot more offen. Is your Life and your Familys Lives not worth this little Bit of Money?

Think; what did you just pay for that (One-Meal) and never give it a Second-Thought, now do we?

There worth it and if you have not ever tried them, then I personally suggest that you do and then get back on this same Thread and let everyone know if there is (No-Difference) because trust me there is.

Terry

Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 PM

Terry is playing devil's advocate by throwing the word "safety" in there.

Oh, I can do one better! Say, you're going on a cruise. Make it a 4 hour tour. Okay, so right before you embark you decide to buy a lifeboat. Lifeboat A, lasts a long time. And it's cheap. But then there's lifeboat B! Lifeboat B costs a little more, because it comes with um... seatbelts. Yeah, seatbelts. Thus making lifeboat B "safer". But, lifeboat B's longevity is greatly reduced than lifeboat A.

Now, you're driving down a dark road. You've got white (but not any brighter) lights. But oh no! Now, your headlight burns out! So, you're reduced to one headlight. Oh hell, make them both burn out. It's my story...

Is it "safe" to say the shorter longevity of the replacement bulbs do not outweigh the "safety" of reliable lights?

Not picking on ya Terry! Just stirring the pot...

For what it's worth. I really don't care either way if people want to switch out their bulbs. Just as long as the lumens is of reasonable output. Especially for oncoming traffic. Lots of motorcyclists like to ride around with their high beams on. Even at night! They say they do this for safety. But I disagree. For multiple reasons. All of which are beyond the scope of this thread.

Last edited by bar10dah; 12-30-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:28 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: Headlight Question

Originally Posted by bar10dah
Terry is playing devil's advocate by throwing the word "safety" in there.

Oh, I can do one better! Say, you're going on a cruise. Make it a 4 hour tour. Okay, so right before you embark you decide to buy a lifeboat. Lifeboat A, lasts a long time. And it's cheap. But then there's lifeboat B! Lifeboat B costs a little more, because it comes with um... seatbelts. Yeah, seatbelts. Thus making lifeboat B "safer". But, lifeboat B's longevity is greatly reduced than lifeboat A.

Now, you're driving down a dark road. You've got white (but not any brighter) lights. But oh no! Now, your headlight burns out! So, you're reduced to one headlight. Oh hell, make them both burn out. It's my story...

Is it "safe" to say the shorter longevity of the replacement bulbs do not outweigh the "safety" of reliable lights?

Not picking on ya Terry! Just stirring the pot...

For what it's worth. I really don't care either way if people want to switch out their bulbs. Just as long as the lumens is of reasonable output. Especially for oncoming traffic. Lots of motorcyclists like to ride around with their high beams on. Even at night! They say they do this for safety. But I disagree. For multiple reasons. All of which are beyond the scope of this thread.
Keith; You are an excellent messanger for (Stirring-The-Pot), I'll give you that.

Now, back to this light thing, remember those Bulbs (Factory-Bulbs) that are now in the Silverstar Box that is in your Trunk? Well, you un-plug the Burned out Silverstar and Plug in the (Factory-Bulb) and keep on trucking.

Or, you do as I did and you have an extra/back-up set of Silerstars in the trunk in case your out and one burns out. Remember they cost you, What? $37.36 a Set. My Safety (Theres-That-Word-Again) darn I just can't help myself, is worth the Teeny-Tiny-Itsy-Bitsy dollar amount.

Have a Nice "Safe" Rest Of The Day

Safety 1ST

Terry

Old 12-30-2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Keith; You are an excellent messanger for (Stirring-The-Pot), I'll give you that.
Yeah, I do that from time to time...

Quick Reply: Headlight Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands