Low beam on 06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Low beam on 06 HCH

I hope not everyone is running out and adjusting their lights higher so they can see farther. The current USDOT standard for vertical aiming is 2.1" of drop per 25 feet. Not only that, Hondas have been notorious for their sharp cutoff on the low beam lights and yes it does take some getting used to. If you're re-aiming your lights, get a tape measure and make sure you're doing so according to spec so that you do not cause unnecessary glare and blindness to oncoming drivers.

In addition, while the Sylvania Silverstars are "whiter" it's achieved by tinting the glass, which effectively cuts brightness. For the H4/9003 bulbs (used on my Element) The Sylvania Silverstars only have a light output of (High/Low-beam) 1500/910 lumens. The Osram Silverstars on the other hand, have a light output of 1700/1075 lumens. The Osrams are probably the best bulb upgrade out there, although regardless of which one you get, they will not last as long as stock bulbs.

Old 02-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I agree with lkewin, my beams are JUST FINE. They've been adjusted to the PERFECT height before I got the car, they're supposed to be adjusted by the dealer. Part of the PVI process, says so right in the maintenence manual. And shoot, I don't even have a beautiful wife !!!! :p

Old 02-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Proud owner HCHII

Ikewin

You have reminded me of the old films where the hero Gregory Peck, Errol Flynn or whoever was driving along a sunlit, largely empty boulevard (they were then), gazing at the beautiful star beside him, and not looking at the road for seemingly minutes at a time.

Of course they were safely in the studio in a mock-up of an automobile with a road film being played on a screen in front of them.

Don't gaze at your beautiful wife for too long, unless that is, you are in the passenger seat!

Old 02-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

rrunyun; thank you for the adjustment information. I've installed JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) PIAA 4150K bulbs, not white, not blue just the right color of light. I lowered the car within the last few weeks, so this also adds to my headlights being too low.

Sheniferous: Thank you for the information on headlight beam drop. I can take to dealership, but takes more time to deal with them, then to do a simple adjustment.

My '04 Audi Allroad has the HID's with the sharp cut off; but they still shine down the Hiway far enough to drive in comfort at night with no overhead street lights. I'll keep in mind the proper drop when adjusting my lights, thank you again for the information. Sorry you're still waiting for your HCHII, hope it doesn't take too much longer.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Honda may be the exception, but rare is the car with adjustable headlights
that I have bought that did not need at least minor adjusting after I bought it.

Dealers adjust by pointing the lights at a calibrated board,
not as accurate as having it out on the road at night. It will be close,
but unlikely to be perfect if you are picky about such things.

Surprisingly however, my HCH-I is ok in that respect,
I have not needed to adjust it.

I had one car that the left headlight aimed way up into the sky
and did not light the road at all. Took more than three turns to fix it too.
I suspect that is because I did not let them detail the car, so not really
their fault.

That said low-beams should point slightly down, and slightly to the right,
to pretty much avoid any possibility of blinding oncoming traffic. :-)

- Kurt

Old 02-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know for a fact my car's lights are not aimed correctly, it is not the cutoff. I have a very nice cutoff on my STi as well, and the civic's cutoff falls a lot shorter.

I too hope that not everyone goes out and raises their lights, because you will be just as bad as those suv's that shine directly in your mirrors.

Old 02-22-2006, 07:59 PM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Low beam on 06 HCH

Originally Posted by Renato
I haven't driven my '06 and night for an extended period, but they seemed fine to me for halogens. My last 3 of 4 cars I had were equipped with factory xenon headlights, so everything else to me will seem dim.

One thing is that the gauge cluster and nav (if you have it) brightness is distracting...just a thought.

In my '04 I had silverstar bulbs which were brighter/whiter, street legal and the same wattage....it made a big difference. I plan to eventually swap the bulbs in my '06.
Renato,
I already have the Sylvania Silverstar lower and high beam bulbs.

They work!!!! and like you said in your post, there Bright

Terry

Old 02-22-2006, 08:03 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: Low beam on 06 HCH

Originally Posted by lkewin
OK, there is one in every crowd and I guess for this topic, I will be the odd one.

I think the lowbeams on my '06 are fine and have no problem seeing the road, but then I have a beautiful wife, so spend more time looking at her then I do the road
Larry;

Go big-Dog, when Your Hot Your Hot

Tell the truth? Your wife was reading while you typed that, wasn't She?

Terry Laughting

Old 03-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought an 06 HCH and can't drive at night; can't see a sign more than 100-150 feet unless I use brights-- I miss turns in rural areas. I'm taking it to dealer tomorrow but in calling the service dept they said-- there has never been a problem

Old 03-02-2006, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast

Has anyone taken the HCH 06 back to the dealer? I'm going tomorrow with all your comments. In calling the service dept, I was told "never heard of the problem"

Quick Reply: Low beam on 06 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands