Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Hi from Phoenix, AZ

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 12:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___When a 2000 5-speed Insight (that is all that were available way back when) runs out of fuel while you are still moving, the pack does in fact propel the vehicle without the ICE until it is depleted. This is the double secret stealth mode I am not kidding either!

___AZwildbill2, have you looked at the Hybrid comparison pages? Jason did a nice job with the side by sides on any number of attributes and it makes a great cross reference for those interested in one or the other (Prius vs. HCH that is).

___As for which Hybrid, I am one of the few Hybrid dissenters amongst the group so take my comments for what they’re worth. Just make sure a Hybrid is for you. If cost is a factor, really do your homework as there is any number of less costly non-Hybrid vehicles. If environmental attributes are your target, do some more homework as there are many more std. ICE based automobiles as clean or cleaner then many Hybrids. If fuel economy is your goal, learn some of the tips and tricks here and apply them into your current automobile first to see if you can deal with the change. You wouldn’t believe what monster sized automobiles can give you when driven to their absolute maximums in terms of fuel economy. The same can be said of a Hybrid (even more so) when driven to its extremes … You also may not be happy with a hybrid if you drive it like you stole it or you are driving multiple short trips instead of one with a distance of lets say > 10 miles. Your fuel economy will show on the negative side even greater then when in a std. ICE based automobile … Let me give you an example: Let’s say your Hybrid of choice is supposed to receive 50 mpg but it only gave you 33 mpg over a 6 mile trip to the store. This will probably tick you off. The reason it will tick you off is because there is a gauge on the dash that showed that you only received 33 mpg. In most regular automobiles that should receive 25 mpg but actually only received 16.5 mpg to the store will not bother you because 1. You don’t have a gauge staring back telling you that you only received 16.5 mpg and 2. Even though both the Hybrid and Regular automobile lost 33% of their EPA estimates, the 50 to 33 is going to make you think you lost more even though on a percentage basis, both automobiles lost the same amount. At this point, just consider that you received 33 mpg to the store instead of an even lousier 16.5 mpg! If it’s simply the “cool factor” of owning a hybrid, you cannot go wrong in any way shape or form.

___Finally, a Hybrid will more then likely change the way you drive. As described above, every time you put your foot to the accelerator, a little bar graph is telling you either how smart you were over a given distance or time or how stupid that last 2 blocks of driving actually was. As for me, it tells me I am stupid all the time so I tend to beat it into submission no matter what it is trying to say

___Good Luck with whichever new automobile you choose.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 06-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Xcel,

Thanks for the information. I usually take years to research a car then make a purchase. I currently drive a 2000 new Beetle and the only thing I don't like about it is the gas mileage. I'm not a lead foot and follow all the steps you should to maximize gas mileage and the only way I can get more out of a tank is to not run the a/c. I get about 26-29 with all highway driving with a/c or 31 without. Though you can only do this in the early morning or evening.

I've also looked at the VW TDI. I think as a culture and society we need to decide our priorities. I think the Hybrid technology will evolve to where the electric motor is bigger and more powerful than the ICE until it is almost electric (Our at least one can hope). So I think it is important to support new technologies verus keeping the status quo. I have always owned small cars because they were easier to park and got better gas mileage.

I do like the mileage charts. They are very helpful. In the TDI forums people are discussing how Hybrids aren't living up to their EPA ratings, though I know how you drive something makes a difference.

Just as a frame of reference, I have owned a 1988 Hyundai Excel (I loved it, great car) that got 45-50 mpg on the highway with an Auto. I also had a 1993 Honda Civic (Also a great trouble free car for over 100,200 miles) that got 35-40 with an Auto.

I think a hybrid would work with me because of my driving style and would help me "learn" how to drive even better.

So, I'm really excited I found this site and can learn from all the driving experts who have been using and learning from this technology.

Thanks!