Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Prius is good for for making diesels greener

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Outcast Enthusiast
Default Prius is good for for making diesels greener

Looking through diesel articles at "CAR", a UK magazine. I was amazed at references to the Prius.

Note: Quotes are from UK magazine and MPG reference are for Imperial gallons (1.2 US = 1 imperial gallon).

VW Polo TDI Bluemotion:
According to Volkswagen, it will manage 72mpg, 9 mpg more than the next greenest Polo.
And the 102g/km of CO2 it produces makes it even less harmful to the environment than the hybrid Toyota Prius.
Mini Cooper D:
Cooper D will now emit just 104g/km of CO2 - matching the signficantly more expensive Toyota Prius. And average fuel consumption on the diesel climbs to 72.4mpg - around eight miles further than before - to beat even the petrol-electric Prius.
Ford Focus Econetec:
Ford’s gone green with the Focus Econetic, so you can put that order for a Toyota Prius on hold.
a particulate-filtered 109bhp diesel. You’d pump out slightly more CO2 (119g/km) and be slightly less frugal (62.7mpg rather than 65.6mpg)
Smart ForTwo Limited:
the Cdi model – with 88g/km CO2 it’s achieved the lowest standard consumption worldwide. Take that Toyota Prius.
Seat Ibiza Ecomotive:
99g/km of CO2,you say? Oh yes. That’s lower than the Toyota Prius’s emissions, but such figure-bashing is a worthless exercise in reality.

Last edited by doasc; 06-18-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added note
Old 06-14-2008, 12:05 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Prius is good for for making diesels greener

We see a significant premium for diesel here. What about Europe? What are the relative costs of gas to diesel?

Bob Wilson

Old 06-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
We see a significant premium for diesel here. What about Europe? What are the relative costs of gas to diesel?
From a German gas finder website

Normal (91): 1.529 Euro/ltr
Super (95): 1.529 Euro/ltr
Super Plus (99): 1.589 Euro/ltr

Diesel: 1.499 Euro/ltr
Biodiesel: 1.429 Euro/ltr

Most european cars require 91 octane their regular, or premium in the US. So apples to apples the relative costs premium for diesel is 15% for regular or only 5% for premium in the US.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast

Please convert UK MPG to US MPG, list the combined fuel economy rating (not just highway),then list all the emissions of the vehicles listed (not just CO2) vs the Prius and lastly list the interior volume of those vehicles vs the Prius.

I think that will paint a far more complete picture of actual emissions and actual fuel economy vs usable size of vehicle.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bulldog
Please convert UK MPG to US MPG, list the combined fuel economy rating (not just highway),then list all the emissions of the vehicles listed (not just CO2) vs the Prius and lastly list the interior volume of those vehicles vs the Prius.

I think that will paint a far more complete picture of actual emissions and actual fuel economy vs usable size of vehicle.

Good points.
It would probably also be worthwhile to point out that the Prius has an automatic transmission. How many of it's wannabe competitors do?

Old 06-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Malcontent

I'm getting kind of sick of hearing how diesels in Europe get such incredible Prius-beating fuel economy and how they're going to make a comeback in the US. Every comparison is rigged. When the comparisons are done in the US by objective testers, suddenly diesels don't do so well. Also, diesels seem to mysteriously lose a lot of fuel economy when they cross the ocean.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Outcast Enthusiast

In Europe were gas costs $9/g. Roughly 53.3% of the 19.7 million cars bought in 2007 were diesels. Oddly, I thought it was a good thing that the Prius has set the environmental "bar" high. As discussed in this forum Toyota is building a battery plant to get worldwide hybrid production to 1 million a year of which the Prius is only a subset.

diesel ref: (http://www.acea.be/index.php/news/ne...by_53_in_2007/)

Originally Posted by bulldog

Since you asked

UK | US | CO | CO2 | HC+NOx |
74.3 |61.9 | 99 |0.237| 0.257 | VW Polo Bluemotion/Seat Ibiza
72.4 |60.3 |104 |0.051| 0.182 | Mini Cooper D
65.7 |54.7 |114 |0.204| 0.179 | Ford Focus Econetec
65.7 |54.7 |104 |0.180| 0.030 | Toyota Prius

UK - Combined Mile / Imperial Gallon
US - UK converted to Mile / US Gallon
CO, CO2, HC+NOx - g/km

The Polo Ibiza is smaller than the US Golf/Rabbit, the Mini and Focus are similiar to US models and I couldn't find numbers for the Smart ForTwo Diesel.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Diesel driver

Originally Posted by Squint
I'm getting kind of sick of hearing how diesels in Europe get such incredible Prius-beating fuel economy
Yeah, mine sucks, at only 60.2 lifetime MPG

Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Enthusiast

Lets see the Polo is substantially smaller than a Prius in usable space, and when equipped with an A/C it gets UK MPG 70.2 with a 5 speed manual.

Unfortunately for a real commute car a stick shift makes very little sense, so with an auto the consumption would be?

In the UK no A/C might be OK, but most places it will not fly.

I wish I could get the interior dimensions, but this will give folks an idea (all dimension in meters)
Wheelbase|Length|width|height
2.466 |3.916 |1.650 |1.467 |Polo 5dr
2.700 |4.450 |1.725 |1.490 |Prius
2.578 |4.554 |1.781 |1.459 |Jetta

Now US Interior dimensions for Jetta and Prius (no Polo, yet??)
Cabin|Trunk (Both in cubic feet)
91 |16 |Jetta
96 |16 |Prius

So suddenly it paints a very different picture. A much smaller car, with a manual transmission (which won't fly in US metro commutes) that is almost 2 seconds slower to 62 miles per hour gets 6.8% better gas mileage (if equipped with A/C).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soo8pIqCxjE

And that was UK MPG.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:56 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Prius is good for for making diesels greener

Originally Posted by MikeT
Yeah, mine sucks, at only 60.2 lifetime MPG
Just barely enough to get a 'hypermiler' star in the Insight database.

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Prius is good for for making diesels greener

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands