Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Toyota Billboard Marks 100 Million Gallons of Gas Saved by Driving Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264
Default Toyota Billboard Marks 100 Million Gallons of Gas Saved by Driving Hybrids

I saw the below linked press release from Toyota http://pressroom.toyota.com/Releases...T2005112805565

Originally Posted by Press Release
...The billboard, located beside the 405 Freeway in El Segundo, Calif., issimilar to an odometer and clicks forward every four seconds to estimate the number of gallons of gas saved by Toyota and Lexus hybrid vehicles in the United States since the first Toyota Prius went on sale in 2000. On Friday, November 25, the billboard clicked over to 100,000,000 gallons saved ... and is still counting.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:34 AM
World's First Hybrid
Default Re: Toyota Billboard Marks 100 Million Gallons of Gas Saved by Driving Hybrids

And, according to the Fed's, we have cheated them out of $18,474,575 in gas tax just for using Toyota. Let's keep up the good work. Come on guys/gals, cough it up, I could have used that money to fix the streets in my town. LOL..

Old 11-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Toyota Billboard Marks 100 Million Gallons of Gas Saved by Driving Hybrids

What?! 100 million gallons saved?! I'll bet Dick Cheney is PISSED! Ha ha ha. Of course, Rush Limbaugh declared (on November 23, 2005) that conserving gasoline is un-American. Right.

Actually, that is cool that Toyota hybrids have made such a big difference. I wonder what the total would be if you added the savings from Ford, Honda, and GM Silverado?

Old 11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned
Default Is It REALLY Tax Evasion?

The gas saved probably reduces the wear-and-tear on the highways, and certainly reduces the air pollution damage. Fewer ozone action days, discoloring of buildings, less revenue for OPEC....

Old 11-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I know *I* personally have reduced wear and tear on highways for sure, because the last time I drove on one was back in August. I have converted myself to a "city streets only" guy, which I can do since I live in Phoenix and have access to anything I need right here in the "Valley."

Old 12-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The sad thing is that's only about 25% of the gasoline consumed in the U.S. every day.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
And, according to the Fed's, we have cheated them out of $18,474,575 in gas tax just for using Toyota. Let's keep up the good work. Come on guys/gals, cough it up, I could have used that money to fix the streets in my town. LOL..
Actually, if government used deperciation and GAAP, like any well run business does, the money would be there for nearly any street maintenance needed because the government would be reserving and investing that money based upon the expected life of the road so when the road's life had come to a useable end the money would be there to repair it.

But instead government tends to use 0 balance accounting which doesn't work.

If Toyota is basing this number on EPA estimates it is actually overstating the amount of gas saved by their vehicles.

Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeromeP
If Toyota is basing this number on EPA estimates it is actually overstating the amount of gas saved by their vehicles.
Not if it's gas saved "comared to driving an Excursion". It can be spun a hundred ways - probably more true than not. Either way, I like the shot across the bow from Toyota. Anyone else notice how aggressive they are marketing the hybrid technology? It's almost standard fare for any Toyota commercial nowdays. Everyone else seems to mention it in passing. They seem clearly intent on beating everyone else in this market....