Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Walmart to make hybrid cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Insipid Enthusiast
Default Re: Walmart to make hybrid cars?

I went on vacation to Mexico and saw a Wal-Mart, which is probably employing thousands of people. They probably pay $2.00 per hour there plus health benefits, but everyone else is probably making $0.50 per hour in the country. How can anyone say that a company which is producing jobs, selling goods at reasonable prices and moving the economy forward, is doing bad? A store manager in walmart makes about $124K and an asstn store manager makes about $47K plus bonuses based on sales.
While shopping at Walmart three days ago, some guy was walking out as I was. He was saying "I hate this store" , I asked why is that?, he stated that he had a return, but because he did not have a receipt, walmart would only give him store credit. My answer was, "many stores don't allow returns or exchanges without a receipt" He just looked at me. Besides $8. per hour is more than minimum wage. And if someone hates walmart so much, go shop somewhere else where you can be overcharged. I shop at walmart, I like the prices and I think it is a good American Company for the economy. If walmart is outsourcing, it is probably due to all the constant lawsuits that we feel justified.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
If walmart is outsourcing, it is probably due to all the constant lawsuits that we feel justified.
WHAT?

Like politics, you need to look way way under the paperwork to see what really going on. As you stated: The Store Manager makes $124k a year and the assistant store manager makes $47k a year? And who do they hire to clean the stores: Sub Contractors that used illegal aliens! Why, because Wal Mart forced them to cut their price. Wal Mart has forced many once American made manufactures to close up their factories and head overseas. How? Wal Mart is so big that they can set the price they are going to pay for an item. They have their profit margin set in stone but will force others into bankruptcy so they can make a buck.

This isn't the original concept of Wal Mart it just grew out of hand. There was a time in our not too distant past when large corporations owned just about everything. Greed was ramped and corruption was everywhere. This happened during our industrial revolution. It is happening again. The only people that benefit from this are the people at the very top.

If you think it is OK to send all of our jobs overseas to poorer nations, how will you feel when your job is eliminated and outsourced? And the next job you get and then next one. It does stop. Someone is always willing to do it for less, especially when they are starving. Instead of bringing our nation down to the level of Third World nations, why don't we bring them up to our level? What would happen if you started to pay the workers in China a decent wage so they can afford their own house? What would happen if the Call Centers India paid better wages so their employees can afford a better life?

Why does a CEO who just lost millions and millions of dollars for his stock holders because of poor leadership, get to keep his job and get a six figure bonus while he fires everyone at the bottom so he can get that bonus?

That's my walmart/ Enron / and many other Corporate America Giant CEO scam rant for today.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Insipid Enthusiast

I don't get it, then why do you buy anything that is not made in America? I live within 7 miles of 5 muster zones for illegal immigrant workers. Last saturday I saw a local police officer picking some up for the day, I know many who have used the services of these folk, it is the American way, to get the job done by the lowest bidder. Even NASA uses this method. The only reason Walmart gets a bad rap is because it is so big and everyone wants a piece of the pie, even if it has to be by lawsuit. Out sourcing is used by every major company, heck my company uses India call centers. OK you are entitled to your opinion, but why would you want to pay $121. for a goodyear tire, if you can get the same exact tire at walmart for $85.00. Additionally in my old neighborhood up in N Jersey, we had an old man who owned a hardware store (we called him Red) you could buy a screw driver for $25 bucks. When walmart came to town that same screwdriver was $8.99 who in their right mind would want to pay $25. bucks. Many (not all) of the companies that have gone out of business because of walmart really deserved it, charging 3 or 4 times what the item cost. What if Walmart started selling gas for $1.80 would you still go to the mobil or shell? I wouldn't.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheSpoils
I don't get it, then why do you buy anything that is not made in America? I live within 7 miles of 5 muster zones for illegal immigrant workers. Last saturday I saw a local police officer picking some up for the day, I know many who have used the services of these folk, it is the American way, to get the job done by the lowest bidder. Even NASA uses this method. The only reason Walmart gets a bad rap is because it is so big and everyone wants a piece of the pie, even if it has to be by lawsuit. Out sourcing is used by every major company, heck my company uses India call centers. OK you are entitled to your opinion, but why would you want to pay $121. for a goodyear tire, if you can get the same exact tire at walmart for $85.00. Additionally in my old neighborhood up in N Jersey, we had an old man who owned a hardware store (we called him Red) you could buy a screw driver for $25 bucks. When walmart came to town that same screwdriver was $8.99 who in their right mind would want to pay $25. bucks. Many (not all) of the companies that have gone out of business because of walmart really deserved it, charging 3 or 4 times what the item cost. What if Walmart started selling gas for $1.80 would you still go to the mobil or shell? I wouldn't.
You'll feel just like that until they start outsourcing your job to the far east.... Once you are unemployed OR your income is falling faster due to cheap foreign labor than the cost of the products you want to buy, you'll feel differently. You probably say... hey they are low paying jobs why do I care... Well, It used to just be untrained people and "menial" labor... then manufacturing jobs... now they are moving engineering and technical jobs... Its climing the ladder my friend. I hope you are a rich CEO (therefore a few stages away) or near retirement. Republicans say we are moving to a "service economy"... I'm sorry we can't employ everyone in a "service" job... we've got to build something we can't all make a living "rubbing each others backs".

I'm not saying its evil, or wrong, illegal or that there is anyway to stop it... however, I've got to say I do understand the bitterness of the people its hurting.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Insipid Enthusiast

The other day someone forwarded me a funny video short. And I'm going to be politically incorrect here; It was a Mexican guy pulling up in a low rider pick-up truck to a bunch of people wearing business suits. He then got out and started saying bookkeeper, analyst, treasurer and so on, all the suits began raising their hands and scrambbling me,me,me. The Mexican then selected a few suits and they jumped in the back of the pick-up and off they went. No doubt that I may end up one of those people in a suit in the muster zone, it may happen to many of us if the state of affairs continue in this direction. The bright side is that It will be socially acceptable to default on my mortgage, receive aid and "free money" from the state and other places, and I wont have to shower or shave anymore.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

i agree walmart does not own their own oil as a matter of fact some walmarts on the east coast have sunoco's in thier parking lot.