2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

Those of you with the new '08, I have a question about the Tach when in EV mode. On the older hybrids, EV mode was just a single point, below 0 RPM's. When in EV mode, the needle went there, and stayed.

We all noticed that on the new '08 models (at least on the early prototype pics of the instruments), instead of a single point, there appears to be a marked range for EV mode. Does the needle move around within that range, when in EV mode?

Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, it move around in that range based on how much power the motor is applying to the drivetrain.

The moonroof and satellite radio are the only options (other than AWD) that I didn't get. The monthly fee for satellite radio isn't worth it for me, and I didn't feel like paying that much for the moonroof.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by twgodfrey
I love the Nav and energy flow, although disappointed so far with mpg - avg only 23-24 mpg (Nav) so far w/120 miles on the veh. And I'm not an aggressive driver at all. I'm hoping that will improve as I put more miles on the veh.
The Nav stores 1,000 "data points", and it is my theory that when the vehicle is new, these data points are either garbage or zeros. You have to, slowly, clear all this out, and replace the original "data points" with real data. Then, and only then, will the Nav start to display a more real avg MPG.

BTW, 23-24 is about right for winter driving.

Originally Posted by twgodfrey
Engine doesn't shut off until it's more than warmed up and I'm half way home from work.
Wow, in Anchorage during the winter, I would think that it would never warm up enough for EV mode.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
The Nav stores 1,000 "data points", and it is my theory that when the vehicle is new, these data points are either garbage or zeros. You have to, slowly, clear all this out, and replace the original "data points" with real data. Then, and only then, will the Nav start to display a more real avg MPG.

Walt, many people here think that the Navi MPG is always higher than the tank fill up, that just not true. My tanks last through several changes in Navi MPG readings, both higher and lower than my SG during the same tank of gas. The past few days, my mileage has tanked due to wind and the need to drive faster than normal. It is true that the Navi and the dash econ MPG average drops data. When and how much we have not got to the bottom of that answer. It seems after about 10 hours of the tank I start seeing the Navi MPG average change from my SG. I took my present readings to give an example between the vehicle gauges and the SG readings today before I fill-up.

Dash - 0 MTE, Trip - 627.0, Navi 43.6mpg average

Scangauge 11

Tank - 45.0mpg average
21mph average
2.7 Hours to empty
28.5 Hours from full tank
58.5 Miles Tank To Empty
618 mile trip
1.3 Gallons To Empty
13.7 Gallons Used

The Dash Trip is 9 miles higher than the Scangauge and the Navi is 1.4 MPG average lower than the Scangauge. As you can see, the MTE is 0 and there is 1.3 gallons left and 58.5 miles Tank To Empty on the Scangauge.

Now, when I fill-up the tank and put ~13.7 gallons in and go by my trip reading, my average would be a 45.7mpg average. This would make the Navi reading 2.1mpg average lower than gallons pumped. On the other hand, what if I squeeze 15 gallons in the tank using part of the vapor space. This would give me a 41.8mpg average which would be 1.8mpg average lower than the Navi. If I fill the tank with 14.3 gallons, the navi would be just about right on. This is why I like the Scangauge so it can give additional information.

I better get some gas real soon I guess!

GaryG

Old 03-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, I have received an early 2008 2WD Mercury Mariner hybrid for almost four weeks now. I am on still on my second tank of gas. So far I really like this vehicle. On the first tank I averaged 36.4 mpg. On the second tank I am averaging 34.9 mpg. This is in suburban Atlanta driving. I expect the miles to drop as the hot weather kicks in and the air conditioner gets some heavy use. Possibly this will be negated to some degree when ICE breaks in.

I love the interior and exterior design changes. Especially the interior. I think outside of the higher belt line the exterior difference my not be that dramatic between Mariners vs Mariner., but bigger between Escapes 2007 vs. 2008. The DVD Nav system is a big improvement and really like the graphical Hybrid system display.

Outside of “Fake Shift” I am really not doing anything but driving with common sense. No racing up to red lights and racing to the next red light. Coasting when I can. I also set the tire pressure to 39 psi as a opposed to 35 for plush ride or 44+ for the hypermiler set.

If this hold up I am really going to be happy with vehicle.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:34 PM

I compared my ScanGuage II to the factory NAV quite extensively for a while & the NAV ALWAYS read about 2 mpg too high. It read high compared to the SG & it read too high compared to actual mathematical calculations.

After I got the SG carefully calibrated, it was extremely accurate I found. I no longer have the factory NAV setup, It was a worthless POS as far as a usable NAV setup goes(I do a ton of traveling & a good NAV is a must for me) so I removed it & replaced it with an awesome dbl DIN Eclipse NAV/DVD/Backup camera/MP3 etc head unit.

I now rely on the SG for all mpg calculations & find it is right on the money....

~John

Old 03-23-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I compared my ScanGuage II to the factory NAV quite extensively for a while & the NAV ALWAYS read about 2 mpg too high. It read high compared to the SG & it read too high compared to actual mathematical calculations.

After I got the SG carefully calibrated, it was extremely accurate I found. I no longer have the factory NAV setup, It was a worthless POS as far as a usable NAV setup goes(I do a ton of traveling & a good NAV is a must for me) so I removed it & replaced it with an awesome dbl DIN Eclipse NAV/DVD/Backup camera/MP3 etc head unit.

I now rely on the SG for all mpg calculations & find it is right on the money....

~John
There's two techniques to calibrate the scan guage itself. One to calibrate the speed and one to calibrate the fuel tank (and maybe fuel usage, I don't know). Mine NAV read 2MPG above the scan guage consistently as well. After using a handheld GPS to adjust the speed on the scan guage, and using the fuel calibration technique. My scanguage reads its AVG MPG within 0.2MPG of the NAV...

I guess its a case of your mileage may vary with the NAV (pun unintended)

Old 03-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Walt, I lied. I thought that the needle moved around in the Green EV area, but it doesn't. I paid closer attention to it yesterday since I had a couple of people ask me about it.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wait a minute... how come the 2008 vehicles are coming out nine months before the year 2008?

This is almost as silly as reading a magazine in March that is dated May and written in January.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

lol! welcome back to the future. In a world of 30 second attention spans I am suprised they don't call it a 2010. Oh and 45 years old is the new 20 and that opens up a whole new arena for me!

Quick Reply: 2008 Mercury Mariner - Anyone buy one yet?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands