General Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast
Question General Questions

I just bought a 2008 NAH with the Nav unit and so far I'm very happy. I had a 1999 Altima for 9 years and it was a great car.

I am not a car person so I'm hoping y'all can answer some basic questions.

1. How does this perform in snow. Should I get snow tires or are the base tires enough (my friend has a Prius and says it's bad in the snow).

2. Can I change the voice on the Nav unit. My Garmin allowed me to do this but I don't see a spot to change it on the Altima's unit.

3. The steering feels very odd to me - I feel less in control than I did with my old Altima. Will I get used to it? Are there tips to make driving better/safer/easier?

Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: General Questions

Originally Posted by mdeathstar

1. How does this perform in snow. Should I get snow tires or are the base tires enough (my friend has a Prius and says it's bad in the snow).

I purchased mine in January. I had several trip to Maine this winter, and I thought the car did very well.

2. Can I change the voice on the Nav unit. My Garmin allowed me to do this but I don't see a spot to change it on the Altima's unit.

Sorry, don't have a nav unit in mine.

3. The steering feels very odd to me - I feel less in control than I did with my old Altima. Will I get used to it? Are there tips to make driving better/safer/easier?

No, you will never get used to it, you are not in control, this car chooses where you go, not you, that is why I did not get the navigation system. A friend of mine with the nav package left for a trip to New York 6 months ago, he was never seen again.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

"No, you will never get used to it, you are not in control, this car chooses where you go, not you, that is why I did not get the navigation system. A friend of mine with the nav package left for a trip to New York 6 months ago, he was never seen again. "

LOL !!!!!

The steering has a 'by wire' feel (if by wire could be called a feeling). I don't think you'll ever get used to it. I have 10K miles on my NAH and still find the steering odd. It is what it is though and in terms of it being safe... well thats all up to how well the software in the car was written ;-)

Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad that I'm not alone in thinking the steering feels weird. My husband doesn't believe me (he hasn't driven the car yet). I thought I'd have to go to driving school to re-learn how to drive.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Enthusiast

One more (dumb) question. On the rearview mirror there are two buttons on the right hand side an I and an O. What do these do? I don't see them in the manual.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

They are the On & Off buttons for the auto-dimming mirror.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast

thanks!