Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/)
-   -   Sorry To Have Disturbed You... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/sorry-have-disturbed-you-5754/)

Delta Flyer 02-02-2006 10:58 AM

Re: Sorry To Have Disturbed You...

I just figured if some one is strutting like that are God's Gift, they would want their picture taken.

The arguement that all these power truck drivers are in construction, farming, ranching, etc - biomass. :P If you believe that, then this weeks' State of the Union would be boasting of a boom economy and more farmers....

A guy at work claims there is a product I have yet to see that would have been the perfect touch on that F-350 - testicle lugnuts.

laurie 02-02-2006 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Clubford00
Chuck, i wasnt projecting anything, especially any "Anger" on anyone. just bringing some points out. We drive hybrids because we care about the delicate balance in which we live. Goofs in trucks are gonna be goofs no matter what. And unfortunately, trucks are needed in this worl for hauling stuff. For all we know this particular goof was a farmer and needs his truck to get syplies to his farm to feed this cows, that I eat. last time i had to put a few bailes of hay in my prius it was a *****. LOL anyway i was just bringing out a couple points, not mad at anyone at all. And laurie as you can clearly see Chuck and i are on the road a ton, makeup and cell phones are the least of what i see on the road. Some stuff would curl your hair !. Sorry if its naturally curly.
;)

nope, i still pay to make it curly.

i have a 40 mile commute one way. i see idiots on a daily basis. i also live on a farm. our truck gets used for farm work, not for commuting. and i would say that 80% of the guys at work that have trucks like the noise, and barely carry anything more than themselves. and i know, it's a generalization, but advertising and marketing make the push the bigger is better, and if you don't have a truck somehow you are lacking. and they buy into it. i just with there was a way to break the cycle. it's can't continue like this indefinitely.

rigger 02-02-2006 08:56 PM

They're not lugnuts, they actually hang from the trailer hitch. They are testicals though. ;)

As far as the pic, that one is a tad difficult to read. He looks to be "a big ole boy". He may have to recline his seat that far back just to safely fit his gut behind the wheel. There's a few F-350's around here that are non-dually but are 4x4 and have a 10 inch lift kit with serious off-road tires yet they look as though the drivers have never left the road with them. I bet my Insight has seen more offroad than these trucks. They probably do about 5 mpg tops and a Ford 7.3 diesel is an efficient engine (for what it is). My top mileage in my old F-350 dually was 23 MPG.

mg48 02-02-2006 09:09 PM

I gotta say that those that ride their bicycles to work or walk look at us and think the same things that feel about the big truck drivers. It's all relative. You think your doing great things for the environment and reducing our dependence on foriegn oil by driving a hybrid. Why don't you really sacrifice and work near your home or move near where you work. I live 7 miles from work by design. I can make more money working in downtown Houston than in the suburbs. I am close enough to ride my bike to work. I work with people that ride everyday rain or shine. Most of us are NOT doing all we can... so don't be so judgemtal. Look at someone better than yourself and strive to be like them, instead of looking at someone you feel is inferior and making fun or putting them down to boost yourself up. I know I'm not doing ALL I can for the environment or my country, but driving a hybrid is moving in the right direction.

In the F-350 owners defense maybe he traded in a old oil burning F-250 that was only getting 9 mpg and he is very proud to be driving his new cleaner burning, higher gas milage F-350. I don't know so I won't judge.

Delta Flyer 02-03-2006 05:18 AM

Sympathy for the Devil Again

I guess you are an apologist for GM and all the people in the last twenty years that think they need an Escalade, F-350, Hummer, etc. or they will get clastrophia. I don't know how people got along without these vehicles before 1985 it was sooo hard. :cry:

So many thread discuss the environmental impact of our oil addiction and the economic fallout of being dependant on nations that will either cut of their oil or run out. The grass roots cause is fingered and a few defend them. :confused: Hello!

mg48 02-03-2006 06:31 AM

Do you have similar loathing for those here that bought the FEH or the HIHY? They think the need an SUV. Certainly they could have made a better choice and bought a Prius or a HCH. How wasteful they are to have intentionally have bought a vehicle that only gets 30 something mpg when a vehicle that gets 60 mpg was available. What about those of us that have not figured out how to hypermile. We could employ the P&G technique more effectively to raise our MPG above the EPA numbers.

psyshack 02-03-2006 06:48 AM

Living in Oklahoma the state ride seems to be a truck. Most of the concrete cowboys in this state drive f-150's gm and mopars equals. Most folks that drive around in 3/4 and 1 ton rigs do use the mass and power to tow and haul. Granted they do get used as daily drivers also. If I had spent 40k to 60k on a truck,, I prob. would be driving it more than to haul or tow also.

Why anybody would drive a truck full time I dont understand. I own a Ranger. After driving the Accord and Civic. I get into it and cuss it. Hord driving rig it is. I have to make myself drive it now every two weeks or so just to keep it in good driveable shape.

Big trucks dont bug me as much as mini vans and suv's that seem to never have more than one person in them. Or the folks that think they need one for two kids. Three of us kids where raised in a 1967 Fiat 850 sport coupe. I remember some hellish long road trips in that car with my parents and siblings. It didnt kill any of us...

Funny thing happened yesterday here. There was a 6 car pile up on a local freeway. The person that caused the whole mess was in a Civic. The one that was at the end of the line was a co-worker in his f-250.

Thers no justic in this subject at all... LMAO

Delta Flyer 02-03-2006 07:17 AM

Since it's 25 miles to work, cycling or walking is not an option, however I walked across the intersection to a meeting this morning without the car.

I don't "know" what a driver's needs in the sense a patrolman that can ID a suspect can, but you can definitely suspect who does. Lot's of vehicles has been "super sized" over the last 10-20 years and everybody claims to have a pragmatic need for them - my B.S. alarm is deafening.

I target the power trucks and jumbo SUVs because they are the least likely to be used for their utility and they way many of these drivers carry themselves in a narcassistic manner. The ads for them appeal to the ego and power - not utility. The suggestions of riding a bicycle or downsizing from an FEH....maybe that's out of environmental concern, but I'd also be unsuprized it's from a land barge lover...could go either way. I target at what I'm more sure of....

ralph_dog 02-03-2006 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by mg48
Do you have similar loathing for those here that bought the FEH or the HIHY? They think the need an SUV. Certainly they could have made a better choice and bought a Prius or a HCH. How wasteful they are to have intentionally have bought a vehicle that only gets 30 something mpg when a vehicle that gets 60 mpg was available. What about those of us that have not figured out how to hypermile. We could employ the P&G technique more effectively to raise our MPG above the EPA numbers.

Maybe they may have a particular need for a larger vehicle but chose a hybrid SUV because it's a "green machine", not just a hypermile machine. Please keep in mind that hybrids not only get better mpg's but produce less greenhouse gasses.

Delta Flyer 02-03-2006 08:48 AM

The Pictures....

There is a method to my madness. The pictures I've posted of guys reclined in their land barges with that one-hand lean on their vehicle was ridicule. Over a year ago, it was funny when a Jeep driver stopped it when I imitated his silly posture....

It clearly illustrates they are not driving defensively or remotely hypermiling. They are on an ego trip, which means there should be no objections to taking pictures. This is an obvious paradox - behind the wheel behaving as if they are some celeb networks are itching to interview on prime time, yet embarrased when their pompous stutting is revealed. They would not think of behaving that way face-to-face and somehow are oblivious the freeway is even more public.

Detroit caters to this narcassism in their ads - satify your ego - screw the economy, ecology, and road safety while doing it. It's my right.

I have a question for the people doing it: If you object to my illustrations, why to you think it's OK? The answer is obviously they know it sucks, but insist on the right to do it anyway - absurd contradiction.

The sooner these guys feel foolish, the sooner and more effectively America kicks Oil Addiction. It's probably the only "button" to push that registers with them.