Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Off Topic (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/)
-   -   Sorry To Have Disturbed You... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/off-topic-9/sorry-have-disturbed-you-5754/)

psyshack 02-03-2006 09:03 AM

Re: Sorry To Have Disturbed You...

Delta Flyer

I drive kicked back alot in my Hondas and my Ranger. Is that any diff. than say a Boss Hog Truck or SUV or cylinder managed Chrysler 300's? Im still very aware of where Im at and whats going on around me. Wife drives setting straight up and both hands on the wheel. She's a wreck waiting to happen.

I guess Im missing the ego angle. OOO-well

Enjoy!!!

Delta Flyer 02-03-2006 09:18 AM

I could be showing that I'm over 40 by being in that school of two hands on the wheel most of the time to have control of the vehicle. I'm more concerned with losing vehicle control than maybe being slapped with an airbag.

Only time I might consider reclining would be out in the country - not in an urban area. And I never feel as comfortable from a control standpoint.

Yeah, I did the pictures to use a less broad brush. Still might have got some folks unintentionally....if the shoe fits....

texashchman 02-03-2006 09:52 AM

Re: The Pictures....

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
There is a method to my madness. The pictures I've posted of guys reclined in their land barges with that one-hand lean on their vehicle was ridicule. Over a year ago, it was funny when a Jeep driver stopped it when I imitated his silly posture....

It clearly illustrates they are not driving defensively or remotely hypermiling. They are on an ego trip, which means there should be no objections to taking pictures. This is an obvious paradox - behind the wheel behaving as if they are some celeb networks are itching to interview on prime time, yet embarrased when their pompous stutting is revealed. They would not think of behaving that way face-to-face and somehow are oblivious the freeway is even more public.

Chuck a guy in a Prius BLEW by me on the way home from work. He was weaving in and out of traffic too, he was a complete idiot! Just because a person drives a land barge doesn't make ALL of them bad drivers as I just related my story a small hybrid driving like he or she (it was dark out) was at a race!kevin

bar10dah 02-03-2006 10:04 AM

Disclaimer: Sure, my post will be antagonizing. But before Delta Flyer takes personal offense to it, it's not directed towards him with any purpose.

Just reading this post brings up images of pots and kettles and the colors of each. The same view person A driving vehicle A may have at person B driving vehicle B is probably rooted from the same area as if looking from the view of person B. Delta Flyer is looking at the truck driver, thinking "how smug" because of what that person is driving (or even body posture). It's a good bet that how the other members of this forum is responding is due to them seeing the roles being reversed. From the responses, it's evident that you're showing your "smug-ness." Off the pedestal already. Sure, this dude was driving a gas guzzler, but why does his body position offend you? He's sitting erect. He's got a clear view of the road ahead of him.

Yeah, I'd vote this thread with one star.

I drive pretty relaxed. I don't have a ghetto lean, but I do sit far enough from the steering wheel that my elbows are slightly bent. I occasionally drive with one hand. I usually drive with two though. But I find the risk factor of driving with one hand to be so low that I don't have any fear about it. And when it's a nice day outside, I roll down the window and drive with one arm on the window sill.

bar10dah 02-03-2006 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by texashchman
Chuck a guy in a Prius BLEW by me on the way home from work.

I've had my cruise set at 70 on a 75 mph strech and got passed by an Insight at a pretty good rate of speed!

Sledge 02-03-2006 10:11 AM

I would love to bicycle to work. The only problem is I'd have to move into the ghetto with its nightly shootings. No thanks. I'll stick to my small suburb and my HCH.

bar10dah 02-03-2006 10:15 AM

I used to bike to work when I lived 3 miles away. I didn't do it for the environment. Although, that was a good by-product. I did it to stay in shape. I really liked doing it. Now that I live almost three times as far, I drive. Or, ride my motorcycle. It's pretty cool how my hybrid gets almost as many miles per gallon as my motorcycle. In fact, most hybrids get BETTER mileage. I get 34-42 mpg on the bike.

Delta Flyer 02-03-2006 10:27 AM

It would be cool if Honda or somebody found a good practical way to make a four-cycle motorcycle and get incredible FE. :)

Guess I took pictures of mirages - nobody does that kind of drving the Cadilliac Escalade commercial target....oh I'm just deluded.... :P:P:P

psyshack 02-03-2006 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bar10dah
I've had my cruise set at 70 on a 75 mph strech and got passed by an Insight at a pretty good rate of speed!

I was coming back from NW Arkansas a few weeks ago in a company truck and was passed by two insights on that trip. I always seem to see them in pairs. lol

bar10dah 02-03-2006 10:45 AM

Motorcycles have always (at least as far as I know) been geared towards performance. There are some guys that are into high mileage (www.ironbutt.com) bikes, but they tend to take things into their own hands, instead of demanding better FE bikes from manufacturers. These guys will build auxillary tanks so that they can go a lot farther between fillups during endurance runs. Not me; I need to stretch the legs every so often.

Nobody is denying that there is some value as to what's in the pic. But your passion to pointing out the error of the typical F-350 (with no real need for one) driver is extreme. I am in agreement with you that MOST large vehicle drivers don't really need their vehicle. I know a guy in Texas that has a Suburban. He has a family of six. They're constantly in the vehicle all at the same time. And they take a lot of road trips. Sure, he's getting his use out of it. But I also know of another person that has an Expedition. She says she needs it to haul around her two kids and all their things. Really...

As a side note, I've been driving my '93 GMC Sonoma for 12 years. I've always needed a truck for various reasons. Hauling my motorcycle to the race track. Bringing home landscaping stuff. Moving myself from place to place (ah, the good old days when everything I owned fit into the back of my truck). This summer, when I was looking at buying a new vehicle, I considered getting a full-size GMC truck. I just couldn't justify getting it. I've never needed anything bigger than the truck I've got. And I couldn't see getting a bigger one, just to have more interior room. Especially since my truck only costs me a low insurance premium, since it's never broken down in 177K miles. So, I decided to just get a car with higher mileage and keep my truck for when I needed to haul stuff around.