1st oil change at Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

My dealer was ready to put in 5w30 as well. When confronted with the recommendation in the manual for 0w20 or 5w20, he explained that they'd never realized that. He was gracious enough to order the oil for me (apparently they don't keep that weight in stock) which was nice as I got to see the quart jugs and feel confident that they'd indeed used the recommended type.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by turk
My dealer was ready to put in 5w30 as well. When confronted with the recommendation in the manual for 0w20 or 5w20, he explained that they'd never realized that. He was gracious enough to order the oil for me (apparently they don't keep that weight in stock) which was nice as I got to see the quart jugs and feel confident that they'd indeed used the recommended type.
It is really amazing how some dealerships can be sooo uneducated. Doesn't Toyota provide training for their dealerships? After all; the Camry IS the car of the year!! You would think dealerships would be required to stay up to date on the new requirements!

Thank god for forums like this!!
Do you think Toyota monitors these?

Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

We had our first oil change a week ago and I had a lot of anxiety taking the car in after seeing the problems on this site. I asked the tech if they would use 5-20 and he said yes in an offhanded way, like he really wan't listening. After all of that worry we get the receipt and the oil type isn't listed, just "genuine toyota" or something like that and a part number(?). How do I fugure out from that what they put in? We asked about synthetic but decided against it. Laurie

Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dogzen
We had our first oil change a week ago and I had a lot of anxiety taking the car in after seeing the problems on this site. I asked the tech if they would use 5-20 and he said yes in an offhanded way, like he really wan't listening. After all of that worry we get the receipt and the oil type isn't listed, just "genuine toyota" or something like that and a part number(?). How do I fugure out from that what they put in? We asked about synthetic but decided against it. Laurie
You could probably call their parts department and see if the part number is specific to a certain oil weight. The part number may be a general number for oil and not weight specific. If it's a general number then I would call the service manager and ask him what they put in your car.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:31 PM

I'm at 17,000 miles so I've had three oil changes so far. None of them were at the dealer. I buy the 0W-20 myself from Napa Auto Parts, then I go to those instant-oil-change places and they change my oil within 10 minutes max. I hate dealers.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

I had my first dealer service on Friday, in and out in 45 minutes. Before I could ask them about the 0w-20 syn. oil, they told me it is what they use in TCH as shown on service order. They also rotated the tires, check and adjusted my tire pressures to 42lbs as requested. They wash & vacuumed and did the windows. I'm very pleased with the dealers whole operation.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by freeagn
I had my first dealer service on Friday, in and out in 45 minutes. Before I could ask them about the 0w-20 syn. oil, they told me it is what they use in TCH as shown on service order. They also rotated the tires, check and adjusted my tire pressures to 42lbs as requested. They wash & vacuumed and did the windows. I'm very pleased with the dealers whole operation.

My dealer offers free tires for the life of the car as long as I do all the scheduled maintenance with them. There is no limit on the price of the tires. Since I've only had the car for a little over a week I haven't needed to do any maintenance. I need to figure out if it's going to be cost effective to do the maintenance at the dealer just to get free tires. I will say that if I go to the dealer for my maintenance, I'm going to get the most expensive tires I can get (that work well for the TCH).

Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tnsig
My dealer offers free tires for the life of the car as long as I do all the scheduled maintenance with them. There is no limit on the price of the tires. Since I've only had the car for a little over a week I haven't needed to do any maintenance. I need to figure out if it's going to be cost effective to do the maintenance at the dealer just to get free tires. I will say that if I go to the dealer for my maintenance, I'm going to get the most expensive tires I can get (that work well for the TCH).
Just stop and figure what your free tires are actually costing you???? No free lunch lol

Old 03-05-2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by skywagon
Just stop and figure what your free tires are actually costing you???? No free lunch lol
That was exactly my point ...Nothing is free. The dealer is making their money somehow. Service needs to be done every 5K miles in order to get the "free" tires. It may be more cost effective to just buy my own tires and take my TCH somewhere else to have it serviced. If I own the car for 150K miles I figure I'll have to buy 3 or 4 sets of tires. At a minimum tires could cost $400 per set. That's $1200 - $1600 for tires. The question is will it cost me more than $1200 - $1600 to have the car serviced at the dealer compared to somewhere else?

Old 03-05-2007, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by freeagn
I'm in San Diego too. Which dealer did you use?

Quick Reply: 1st oil change at Toyota

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands